The January Transfer Window 2011

Christmas Tree

Tomorrows piece fro Simon Bird. Nothing particularly new I dont think, just a few words from Pardews press conference. He also reckons one of the reasons he's here is because he knows the young player market as good as any manager in the prem.

Nice at least that he's talking common sense about the transfer policy needs to be about more than just youth.

Alan Pardew will hold a transfer summit with Newcastle chiefs today with David Bentley top of his wanted list.

The United boss is also ready to poach Bradford City boss Peter Taylor as his new No 2, and wants to show the club is “moving forward” with a signing this month, with the Spurs right winger his favoured option.

Former England U21 boss is top of Pardew’s list to become his assistant boss as he puts the final touches to his backroom staff.

Pardew, who faces his former club West Ham tomorrow says a move for David Beckham is “unlikely” and that Spurs striker Robbie Keane is the sort of player his admires.

However Bentley is his best option, but first he has to extract some transfer funds from his bosses at St James’ Park.

Pardew said yesterday United may have to break its policy of only signing youngsters to protect the club’s Premier League status, saying his squad is “vulnerable”.

He added: “Occasionally there does come a time, especially in the first year after promotion, when you sometimes need a guiding hand. Somebody that makes sure you just don’t get yourself in trouble, which can happen easily at this level.

“You can go on a run of six games without a win and suddenly you’re in trouble. My argument against that particular policy of only signing youngsters for this window is that we have to make sure we’re open on all levels here, because we’re only halfway through the season and we’re vulnerable.

“Andy Carroll’s injury proves how vulnerable all that can be. No, the policy hasn’t changed. The other thing you can argue is that perhaps one of the reasons why I’m sitting here is because I know that young player market, particularly in England, as well as any other Premier League manager and that’s something I’m looking at in this window too.

“The most important thing for me, looking at this group, is that it doesn’t get destabilised as well. I don’t know what the impact of a senior player like a Robbie Keane or a David Beckham might have on this group. I have to be very careful that it’s the right impact and that’s something else I’ll discuss with my staff and the people in power who are here.”

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wayne bridge - nee chance . ENrique is first choice and he wouldnt come here on 80k a week to sit on the bench

Dont think there is anything in the Bridge story but could Enrique become a Centre half one day?

Pace and strength in abundance, comfortable on the ball, a decent height. Questions on his aerial ability, marking at corners etc. Right physique? That love affair with Jonas out left will come to end, sooner or later.

You'd have to assume that Jonas will be out of the first team when Ben Arfa is back.

wayne bridge - nee chance . ENrique is first choice and he wouldnt come here on 80k a week to sit on the bench

Dont think there is anything in the Bridge story but could Enrique become a Centre half one day?

Pace and strength in abundance, comfortable on the ball, a decent height. Questions on his aerial ability, marking at corners etc. Right physique? That love affair with Jonas out left will come to end, sooner or later.

You'd have to assume that Jonas will be out of the first team when Ben Arfa is back.

I'm quite looking forward to see how Enrique and Ben Arfa link up on the left. Think there'll be some nice little passing and touches on show.

I'm quite looking forward to see how Enrique and Ben Arfa link up on the left. Think there'll be some nice little passing and touches on show.

They looked a bit hesitant together there against Stoke but it would be exciting if those two could build up an understanding.

They looked a bit hesitant together there against Stoke but it would be exciting if those two could build up an understanding.

Orgasmic

I'd say the chances of that are slim to none. Enrique's positional ability isn't particularly good imo, but he makes up for this with raw physicality: his pace and strength (I have yet to see him muscled off the ball easily by any player) are very impressive. He rarely goes to ground, and whilst this is a good quality in a defender, I don't think he is that talented at tackling: he tends to wait for the opposing player to knock it past him and then beats him to the ball, shielding it until he plays it out of danger or makes a run himself. I think he'd make a poor centre-half and would be wasted there as his abilities are best suited to his current role, in which he has excelled.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I'd say the chances of that are slim to none. Enrique's positional ability isn't particularly good imo, but he makes up for this with raw physicality: his pace and strength (I have yet to see him muscled off the ball easily by any player) are very impressive. He rarely goes to ground, and whilst this is a good quality in a defender, I don't think he is that talented at tackling: he tends to wait for the opposing player to knock it past him and then beats him to the ball, shielding it until he plays it out of danger or makes a run himself. I think he'd make a poor centre-half and would be wasted there as his abilities are best suited to his current role, in which he has excelled.

Pretty good analysis that.

I wouldnt say his positional ability was a weakness. He does tend to defend knocked ball past him quite a bit as thats what wingers do. I agree about the question on his tackling.

Simpson managed it and if he had never played there you'd say the same of him.

All the journos talking about tomorrow being the big NUFC transfer summit.

I gues this is where Ashley flies in, targets are put on the table and he says yay or nay.

Looks like they are going to announce Ben Arfa (which Im delighted about), and hopefully we can move very fast following this meeting.

Be delighted to get some good quality loans and estatic if the scout who got us Ben Arfa and Tiote has another hidden gem up his sleeve.

Harry confirms Bentley Exit -- Sky

Bentley has slipped way down the pecking order at Tottenham this season and would not appear to figure in Redknapp's plans for the rest of the campaign.

The former Arsenal and Blackburn man has made only three appearances this season and is thought to be keen on a move away in search of regular first-team action.

With Spurs also in the market for David Beckham, Bentley appears to be surplus to requirements in North London and Redknapp can understand the midfielder's frustration.

The likes of Newcastle and Fulham have been credited with an interest in Bentley and Redknapp admits a number of clubs are chasing the 26-year-old.

"David (Bentley) did well at the end of last season but he wants to play," said Redknapp.

"It's difficult. He's not happy because he's not playing and I understand that.

"I wouldn't want him to sit there and say 'I'll take my wages'. He needs to play somewhere and there are a few clubs that want him."

Would love Keane to chucked into the deal, but I've read that Mr Basset Hound is looking for around 23 mil. in total for selling Keane, Bent and some other bloke whose name escapes me. I can't see Ashley being willing to spent ANYWHERE near that amount.

And surely the board realises we need a back-up for Jose?

;)

I gues this is where Ashley flies in, targets are put on the table and he says fuck off.

Looks like they are going to announce Ben Arfa (which Im delighted about), and hopefully we can move very fast following this meeting.

Be delighted to get some good quality loans and estatic if the scout who got us Ben Arfa and Tiote has another hidden gem up his sleeve.

FYP

I gues this is where Ashley flies in, targets are put on the table and he says fuck off.

FYP

You may not believe this, but as I wrote that last night, I knew that you would do exactly that. ;)

FYP

Also can I remind you that its unlucky to have Christmas decorations up so many days after Christmas. (think its 12 so you've still got a day or two).

Dont want you getting any bad luck now do we.

Edited by Christmas Tree

I wouldnt say his positional ability was a weakness. He does tend to defend knocked ball past him quite a bit as thats what wingers do. I agree about the question on his tackling.

Enrique could play CB in Spain imo and may do later in his career (think I've mentioned this before) but I think he'd struggle in the PL in that position. He could play as a sweeper but would he be better there than Colocinni? Doubtful. And I think Kadar is a decent prospect there as well. Can't see us signing Bridge in any case.

I reckon they can win the league with Dzeko.

Big chance for them imo with the way the league is this season. That said, you could see Man Utd just pipping them in heartbreaking style.

I reckon they can win the league with Dzeko.

Big chance for them imo with the way the league is this season. That said, you could see Man Utd just pipping them in heartbreaking style.

I don't envisage Stevie shedding any tears in that scenario mind. ;)

VizTopTips Viz Top Tips

RONALDINHO. Blackburn is very similar to the shanty towns of Sao Paolo but with more pies and lower literacy. /via @mostly_grumpy

It's more to do with confidence in his own ability, rarely seems worried by whomever he's up against. Love it when he nutmengs or dibbles past the opposing winger. ;)

Newcastle social worker Alan Pardew says his squad is "vulnerable" and wants to sign former England hairpiece David Bentley from Tottenham. Pardew is no longer keen on Bentley's predecessor in the barbershop, Beckham, however. "I would like more dynamic speed in the team and that wouldn't be David Beckham," said Pardew, in a statement that is rather too much like a fact for the Mill's liking. Newcastle also want Wayne Bridge on loan and Robbie Keane on a kind of try-before-you-buy arrangement (with Spurs getting £4m in the summer). Other pictures currently scrolling across Pardew's desktop screensaver include Adel Taarabt, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Max Gradel.

from the gruniad.

ALAN PARDEW today met with Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias for advanced talks on transfer activity during the January transfer window.

The Toon boss has already played down links between United and LA Galaxy star David Beckham.

However, the Chronicle understands Manchester City duo Roque Santa Cruz and Shaun Wright-Phillips are keen to exit Eastlands this month – and left-sided player Wayne Bridge was also linked with the Magpies today.

Talk in the North West is that both would be keen on a switch to Tyneside if they were handed the opportunity.

Tottenham midfielder David Bentley also remains a possibility for Pardew.

There could also be movement in the other direction first, however, with unsettled centre-back Sol Campbell understood to be on Celtic’s radar according to sources in Glasgow.

Pardew is still trying to complete his backroom team in what is set to be a hectic period at the club’s Benton base.

Our website Chroniclelive revealed last night that former England caretaker boss Peter Taylor was set to join the Magpies from League Two Bradford City, but despite United agreeing compensation terms with the Bantams, the Valley Parade side have indicated Taylor has now decided to stay put.

Pardew was asked how close he was to securing any new faces, and told the Chronicle today: “Not really, there is nothing imminent.

“We will sit down today and discuss tactics and make phone calls.

“We have made some, and we will make some more.

“We will try to get a general feel for what is best for Newcastle in the window.”

Campbell was wanted badly by Celtic in the summer, but opted to join United and work with his former Spurs mentors Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood.

However, his time at United has been a miserable one so far as he battled to get back to full fitness after missing a large chunk of pre-season following his marriage to Geordie lass Fiona Barratt.

Just four starts since signing for the Magpies say it all for a player who was rocked by Hughton’s departure more than any of the current Magpies squad.