Your three favourite albums of all time

Tooj

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lyrics from The Holy Bible are immense like. Pretty much all the way through. PCP is probably my favourite but there's so many clever well written songs on there.

Aye, THB would be close to my list too. Although for all the lyrics are great, it's funny hearing James have to wedge them into some kind of musical structure since he's obviously just been given this ream of non-rhyming free-form writing by Richey :lol:

The Manics were always so strong in every department though so even now they are kicking out decent enough albums, I quite enjoyed a few tracks on 'Send away the tigers' and 'Journal for plague lovers'. Not quite old manics but good.

They've got back to some kind of form compared with the flabby stuff they were churning out in the first half of the 2000s, definitely. Still can't find it in myself to care about them the way I did about the Richey-era albums, although being a miserable teenage sod at the time probably helped!

That normally helps with most music around people's teenage years I suppose. Most people are still attached to what they loved at that period of 14-17yrs or whatever. I still love Green Day who I have probably liked since I was 12, even if the world thinks they're gash now.

Damn - 3 is really nasty number to narrow it down to! gonna have to just be nasty and ruthless with selection

Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Radiohead - The Bends

Though theres about 8 more that could easily oust one of these - for now this is what it stays as xD

They've got back to some kind of form compared with the flabby stuff they were churning out in the first half of the 2000s, definitely. Still can't find it in myself to care about them the way I did about the Richey-era albums, although being a miserable teenage sod at the time probably helped!

They hit "bottom" about 4 albums ago with Lifeblood but since then they've picked up imo - although I prefer the more Bible-esque Journal for Plague Lovers than the last one which has a more expansive Everything Must Go type sound.

Going to see them next Saturday and really looking forward to it.

Great thread.

That's me on the download.

Loving Spiderland sounds like Television having a fight with Nirvana - two tracks in anyway.

that's a pretty good description actually :lol:

Well I doubt it's too far off - very jangly guitars here and there before thrashing power chords and loose vocals, Some pretty mad narration in there too. Quite enjoying Red House Painters as well, although they are very, very depressing a lot of the music I listen to is anyway. The guitar playing is nice and simple but well complimented by the vocals and use of reverb. I would still say Buckley gets the edge with sad guitar playing but only because of Sin-E` or perhaps because he walked into a river and drowned, who knows?

Also I had never heard Heart Attack & Vine by Tom Waits which I enjoyed quite a lot.

holy bible was definitely the best manics album - raw as fuck and as tom said, richie's best lyrics before he walked. i don't think they ever hit those heights in any of the following years. i lost interest after everything must go - stadium rock tastic

Great thread.

That's me on the download.

Loving Spiderland sounds like Television having a fight with Nirvana - two tracks in anyway.

that's a pretty good description actually :lol:

Well I doubt it's too far off - very jangly guitars here and there before thrashing power chords and loose vocals, Some pretty mad narration in there too. Quite enjoying Red House Painters as well, although they are very, very depressing a lot of the music I listen to is anyway. The guitar playing is nice and simple but well complimented by the vocals and use of reverb. I would still say Buckley gets the edge with sad guitar playing but only because of Sin-E` or perhaps because he walked into a river and drowned, who knows?

I think Buckley is a lot more dramatic a songwriter which isn't really my thing - what I love about Red House Painters is that their songs don't really go anywhere half the time whilst Buckley most of the time needed some fat vocal crescendo which felt a bit tiresome after a while.

Yeh i appreciate that, RHP are a lot less attention consuming and easier to drift off to.

Very enjoyable record. Got the rest of their discography to go through to. :)

Yeh i appreciate that, RHP are a lot less attention consuming and easier to drift off to.

Very enjoyable record. Got the rest of their discography to go through to. :)

Definitely listen to Down Colorful Hill and Songs For A Blue Guitar next.

Floyd is one band I've never been able to like , and one that people always assume that i do, and going on my taste etc i really should.

No idea why but another brick in the wall and money especially i can't stand, something from hearing them when i was a kid i think lol

Same here, I realise they are a great band but I just don't get them.

My first 2 albums are easy, but any of 5 or 6 could have been 3rd. Best in recent years, for you young un's :) , is American Idiot.

Edited by LeazesMag