Newcastle Appoint Joorabchian As Football Advisor

Christmas Tree

Newcastle United have appointed Kia Joorabchian as the club’s football advisor, according to the Sunday People.

Although widely described in the press as a football agent, Joorabchian is not licensed to operate as such by Fifa. Instead, Joorabchian describes himself as an advisor on player’s rights and is believed to hold the image rights for between 60 and 70 top players.

Perhaps the most famous of Joorabchian’s clients is Carlos Tevez of Manchester City, but he also has – or has had – a financial interest in other players in the past, particularly the Brazilian midfielder Ramires, now at Chelsea. Joorabchian was said to have paid Benfica 6 million euros for 50% of the financial interest in Ramires and received £6 million of the £17 million transfer fee paid by Chelsea.

Interesting <_<

Who the fuck is he?

Kiavash "Kia" Joorabchian (Persian: کیا جورابچيان) is an Iranian-born British-educated businessman largely involved in association football.

In the register of directorships at Companies House in London Joorabchain gives two nationalities, Canadian and British, as well as two names, Kia Joorabchian and Kia Kavash, and two dates of birth, 14 July 1971 and 25 July 1971.[1]

Although routinely described in the press as a football agent, Joorabchian is not a licensed agent. The involvement of unlicensed agents in transfers in the English Premier League is prohibited by the Football Association.[2] Joorabchian does not himself claim to be an agent, saying "I think the agency business is very different". He describes his business as advising players on their rights and clubs on transfers and contracts.[3]

Joorabchian is also involved in the 'third-party' ownership of players, describing himself as an investment manager. In October 2008, he said, "I manage the investment group and obviously when the investment group is profitable, as fund manager, you also get a cut".[3] In 2009 it was reported that the unnamed investors represented by Joorabchian were understood to own the economic rights to 60 or 70 players across Europe and South America.[2]

Sounds honest as the day is long <_<

Edited by Sonatine

Oh dear. Guardian podcast had a spiel about him in mid December. Was great mates with Gary Cooke at City, but they had a big falling out over Kia having too much sway around the club and Cooke not being happy about it. I think Kia(not going to attempt the surname on my phone) got Cooke the job at Man city too.

His contacts are supposed to be fantastic throughout football, but defo a shady character.

Oh dear. Guardian podcast had a spiel about him in mid December. Was great mates with Gary Cooke at City, but they had a big falling out over Kia having too much sway around the club and Cooke not being happy about it. I think Kia(not going to attempt the surname on my phone) got Cooke the job at Man city too.

His contacts are supposed to be fantastic throughout football, but defo a shady character.

If true thats all that matters. Let Ashley worry about dodgy dealings, we'll just enjoy any players he coughs up.

If true thats all that matters. Let Ashley worry about dodgy dealings, we'll just enjoy any players he coughs up.

Unless, through his dodgy dealing, the club is penalised with a points reduction and a fine?

Joorabchian to lead Toon clear-out?

January 11, 2011

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Newcastle United are reported to have appointed controversial Iranian businessman Kia Joorabchian as a football advisor at a time of speculation about a potential clear-out at St James' Park.

Sol Campbell has been linked with a move back to Arsenal, Alan Smith with a return to Elland Road, and with no new contract in place for Joey Barton, a potential sale of the midfielder.

New manager Alan Pardew has stated that he wants to keep Smith and Barton, but it looks as though Campbell will be released on a free transfer

Owner Mike Ashley is also tapping into Joorabchian's global contacts as Pardew also needs to recruit new players. Pardew is already fully aware of Joorabchian's influence. When was manager of West Ham, Joorabchian brought Argentineans Tevez and Javier Mascherano to Upton Park, with somewhat negative consequences. Pardew was fired in the winter of 2006 as his Hammers were threatened with relegation and after fall-outs with both players.

Joorabchian was recently heavily involved in Carlos Tevez's abortive attempt to quit Manchester City, and may have moved on his interests after a fall-out with the Eastlands hierachy.

A Newcastle insider referred to owner Mike Ashley's budget sporting goods empire when he told ESPNsoccernet: "There is a feeling that the club is being run like Sports Direct, so it would be no surprise if some of the fringe players on big salaries are moved on in this window, if they can find clubs for them."