Shaun Wright Phillips & Roque Santa Cruz

loonyTOON

Heard a rumour that SWP was in Newcastle tonight.

I can verify it. He was at the ground at 6pm according to my sources. :)

Good to hear like I reckon he'd be a good improvement to us definitely an upgrade on Routledge, be class if we got him in time for Sunday so we could have Barton in the middle and not have to worry about Smith being anywhere near the team.

I can verify it. He was at the ground at 6pm according to my sources. :)

Sure it wasn't Shola Ameobi's kid?

Graham Hunter is who you're thinking of.

Great news regarding SWP. Didnt know he was 29, well worth a bash on loan and we really really need more bodies, pace and options. Hopefully it'll give Jonas a rest as well, as it looks like he needs it.

I can verify it. He was at the ground at 6pm according to my sources. :icon_lol:

Not the leighton baines source i trust? :icon_lol:

He'd do a decent job. He's got that priceless commodity we lack - pace. Better option than larsson

The next person who mentions Leighton Baines I'll find out where you live and fuckin post anthrax through your door.

:)

I've heard froma couple of people that he was, I wouldn't put my house on their word though. However, I'm going to check my more reliable sources now and I'll let you know what I hear :(

The best performance I've ever seen from SWP was for England at SJP (Azerbijan??) when he played up front for a big chunk of the match. Looked excellent.

I remember he played well and scored at SJP against Ukraine 3 nothing.

The best performance I've ever seen from SWP was for England at SJP (Azerbijan??) when he played up front for a big chunk of the match. Looked excellent.

I remember he played well and scored at SJP against Ukraine 3 nothing.

That might be it.

I think a priority in the summer has to be an expensive left winger as well. Some Spanish team might be daft enough to give us £5m for Jonas. I remember when he signed someone on the Spanish football on sky, that jock cunt that's in Madrid all the time Graham somecunt, he was saying he was the third best player in La Liga in 07/08 when we signed him so his rep over there must be decent plus he's played for the Argentina NT a lot so we could just get our money back. Playing in England always seems to enhance foreign players reputations regardless how they do. Was a miracle we got £7m back for Tino, imo, so yeah a left winger in the summer a must for me, hopefully this SWP will sort the right.

Edit what the fuck am I on about money back, we got him for fuck all. I mean we could get 5/6m to reinvest in someone decent, we missed the boat massively with Johnson though when he left Boro, I know we were down, but being a toon fan he would've crawled a million miles over broken glass to sign for us imo.

Didn't we end up having to pay €5/6m for him?

Barton has been brilliant out wide, Tiote needs to stay in CM and we can't (imo) drop Nolan who despite not being the best when he doesn't score, scores enough goals to more and justify his place. Wouldn't want him playing off Carroll either.

They aren't the same players but I would much rather keep Barton on the wing.

I agree Barton has been fantastic on the wing, but his game definitely belongs in the middle of the park. He is assured on the ball, with the stamina and tenacity to boss the midfield from the centre.

I think if we signed a more penetrative winger who doesn't rely on pinging deep crosses in it would add more balance to our midfield. Someone of SWP's elk would be brilliant. However I'd like to see us try bring back Darren Ambrose.

Barton is better in space, he gets more of this out wide. In the tighter game in the middle, he has less freedom to express himself.

I agree with this and he also has more opportunities to get crosses into Carroll. I think though, especially with a 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 with Ben Arfa, we could be a better outfit with Barton and Tiote in the middle but only if we had a quality genuine right-winger. I don't see Nolan being dropped any time soon either though and I think because Barton tucks in a bit a lot of the time it prevents our getting overrun in the middle of the park (as does Tiote playing there too obviously).

Barton is better in space, he gets more of this out wide. In the tighter game in the middle, he has less freedom to express himself.

I'd rather see a player for Newcastle on the wing express himself like a Ginola, Overmars or Giggs.

Yeah, fair enough give Barton gets more space and time on the wing and thus we see he pings in more crosses and threads some nice passes. But I think our team would be much improved with a more penetrative threat down the right, not only stretching teams and opening up the space in the middle, but would add the pace we are lacking in the final third.

An out-and-out winger would open up more of the through ball option and allow us to get behind teams; which we struggle to do at the moment. Routledge doesn't cut the mustard and although Jonas can take men on his final ball is dreadful; which is such a shame considering he has a massive unit in Carrol to aim for. But it is evident to see how effective pacey wingers are when you saw Ben Arfa in the team, and how now most of our attacking after his injury went down the left in Jonas.

Edited by Shear3r

I know Fish's post has pretty much killed the thread but IF we did sign him I would rather play him on the left (he doesn't really cross so it's not going to have much of an affect on his game, just means he can cut inside which full backs don't really like) or off Carroll.

As said before, I wouldn't want to shift Barton and definitely wouldn't drop Nolan, playing Nolan off Carroll is also a big no no for me.