Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

No choice but to sell Nolan. Doesn't mean we're a selling club.

3 years older than Rooney, clearly past it. Scored more than him last year though. Capti like him are ten a penny. Stevie Taylor will do the job just as well.

We did well to cover over the fact that his legs were gone this season. The perfect crime. Will be surprised if anyone even notices that Nolan's not here next season. Business as usual, chalk up another win for Ashley.

He mustn't need legs then cos he was CT'a player of the season. There's no higher authority.

Are you sure? You wouldnt be making things up again would you?

I think I said back in September that Barton would win player of the season hands down.

There is no doubting the difference in our performances when he plays, however I must say that whilst he is still my favourite player (Your time will come Shane), there are others that are running him close as we come into the last seven games.

My short list

Barton --- Has kept getting better and better this season and is superb out on the right. Great skills, great vision and a desire to win which seems to lift all around him. A proper football brain to match his skill which allows him to pull off the cross field long range passes just as well as the neat one-two's.

Nolan --- As ASM mentioned earlier this year, Nolan somehow doesnt seem to get the credit he deserves. Runs himself ragged for the club as he did again on Saturday even though he was clearly unwell. His goals have been a god send and his genuine influence in the dressing room really seems real. And lets not forget the chicken dance.

Tiote --- Stevie or LM will have to say when a player last arrived and made such an impact in his first year. Still with a bit to learn but what a player.

Colochini should get a mention for a solid season as should Danny Simpson for the way he has improved this term. But it will be one from the above three for me and so far in the order listed.

And that's a player you want to sell?

Is there any player at the club whose sale could not be justified?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few good signings and we'll be back on track to trying to push for a solid top 10 even 8.

A few cheap signings and we'll be penny pinching and looking at relegation again

A couple of strikers signed and we'll forget all about Nolan, wondering where he'd have fit in anyway

A couple of strikers signed and we'll be saying they still need to prove themselves

We'll be running around this circle for months to come with the same arguments being said again and again, over and over.

Oh the fucking joy ;)

3 years older than Rooney, clearly past it. Scored more than him last year though. Capti like him are ten a penny. Stevie Taylor will do the job just as well.

We did well to cover over the fact that his legs were gone this season. The perfect crime. Will be surprised if anyone even notices that Nolan's not here next season. Business as usual, chalk up another win for Ashley.

He mustn't need legs then cos he was CT'a player of the season. There's no higher authority.

I think I said back in September that Barton would win player of the season hands down.

There is no doubting the difference in our performances when he plays, however I must say that whilst he is still my favourite player (Your time will come Shane), there are others that are running him close as we come into the last seven games.

My short list

Barton --- Has kept getting better and better this season and is superb out on the right. Great skills, great vision and a desire to win which seems to lift all around him. A proper football brain to match his skill which allows him to pull off the cross field long range passes just as well as the neat one-two's.

Nolan --- As ASM mentioned earlier this year, Nolan somehow doesnt seem to get the credit he deserves. Runs himself ragged for the club as he did again on Saturday even though he was clearly unwell. His goals have been a god send and his genuine influence in the dressing room really seems real. And lets not forget the chicken dance.

Tiote --- Stevie or LM will have to say when a player last arrived and made such an impact in his first year. Still with a bit to learn but what a player.

Colochini should get a mention for a solid season as should Danny Simpson for the way he has improved this term. But it will be one from the above three for me and so far in the order listed.

It appears you were making things up tbh

Player of the season and second on a shortlist aren't the same thing, I would have the temerity to suggest.

You know what is going to happen, most of the £35million + from Carroll will disappear. I bet Ashley will spend about £15million net this summer.

Edited by Flair

It appears you were making things up tbh

Player of the season and second on a shortlist aren't the same thing, I would have the temerity to suggest.

Apologies TP.

"Appeared on your shortlist for player of the the season, a shortlist that covered all the bases (as usual)" just didn't roll of the tongue quite as well.

I don't think it changes the general thrust of the point though, Ashley can sell CT's favourite and best players and leave Perch as a first choice player....and there'll be nothing but loyal adulation for the wise decision.

Edited by Happy Face

Not sure why Toonpack was trying to defend CT when the point was clear. Typical of the fickle nature of this board of late that everyone's trying to get the one up on someone else over even the most trivial of thing.

My short list

So once again I didnt say he was player of the season :)

And I think you'll also find I've never said I want to sell him. :wub:

I would say you couldnt make it up, nut you can and do. ;)

You should get a job working with Dekka.

Not sure why Toonpack was trying to defend CT when the point was clear. Typical of the fickle nature of this board of late that everyone's trying to get the one up on someone else over even the most trivial of thing.

Maybe not everyone is quite the sheep you clearly seem to be.

And lets face it, Happy has a bit of a track record os making stuff up of late. Changes things ever so slightly and passes it off as fact that mugs like you lap up.

;)

CT out of interest from the current side who would you sell and who would you keep if it was entirely up to you?

Would be great if you could include a little blurb explaining your reasoning.

Eg. Ferguson - Keep - Exciting young player with attacking flair and skill on the ball.

CT out of interest from the current side who would you sell and who would you keep if it was entirely up to you?

Would be great if you could include a little blurb explaining your reasoning.

Eg. Ferguson - Keep - Exciting young player with attacking flair and skill on the ball.

Its a strange question because in an ideal world you wouldnt sell any of the first team you would just add quality to the squad and ideally get shot of the ryan taylors and perch's of this world.

However in the real world of Newcastle united / wage bill constraints etc, the James Perchs are not going to fund the Tiotes.

Its also hard to say who I would sell bearing in mind that relates directly to who we replace them with. IE Nolan being replaced by Cabaye will hopefully be excellent business.

A better question would be who would I ideally like to see replaced in the first team. To that (putting the already done deal of Nolan / Cabaye) I would answer as a priority,

Jonas, shola, lovenkrands.

Once those three were sorted I would look for improvements on Simpson and Taylor.

T'was simply a "point of order", Alex and I snipe quite a lot, all in good fun, it was far from being a defence of CT per se and pedantry is fun.

Since I have ignored LM I haven't quite completely recalibrated down the sensitivity of my "making things up" radar/defences.

;)

Edited by Toonpack

All we have to do is sign one more attacking option and Nolan would be 2 places away from the starting 11. I would argue that if Ba and one other player comes in who can play in midfield, Nolan might struggle to make the bench.

T'was simply a "point of order", Alex and I snipe quite a lot, all in good fun, it was far from being a defence of CT per se and pedantry is fun.

Since I have ignored LM I haven't quite completely recalibrated down the sensitivity of my "making things up" radar/defences.

:)

;)

;)

Good Answer.

CT, you really haven't said a lot in that post. Do you think the sale of Nolan is a good one? Do you honestly think that Cabaye was signed to replace Nolan... or was Nolan's sale opportunistic because the club was able to force West Ham to offer what they felt was an acceptable figure?

If Nolan had signed the contract that Simon Bird talks about would you have seen it as a good thing?

Do you think the three players you have idnetified (Jonas, Shola & Lovenkrands) should be sold to facilitate their replacements, or do you think the 35M for Carroll shuold be enough to replace them whilst keeping them for depth?

:)

Good Answer.

CT, you really haven't said a lot in that post. Do you think the sale of Nolan is a good one? Do you honestly think that Cabaye was signed to replace Nolan... or was Nolan's sale opportunistic because the club was able to force West Ham to offer what they felt was an acceptable figure?

If Nolan had signed the contract that Simon Bird talks about would you have seen it as a good thing?

Do you think the three players you have idnetified (Jonas, Shola & Lovenkrands) should be sold to facilitate their replacements, or do you think the 35M for Carroll shuold be enough to replace them whilst keeping them for depth?

I think it was a pretty clear answer. ;)

In an ideal world you would just add to the squad should answer your questions on Nolan but in the real world NUFC are not going to pay him big bucks to as Chez puts it, possible not even make the bench.

Would have been excellent if Barton (my player of the season :wub: ) and Nolan had signed in January. They chose not to.

Re your last paragraph, unless you have your head in the sand its pretty obvious there is a hell of lot going on at St James with regard to replacing these three.

All sales are opportunistic tbf.

To an extent in most cases, but often clubs would have a very good idea of who could be purchased from within a team without having to make excessive offers.

Never a dull moment.

CT, why do you keep going on about not signing contracts in jan?

Barton has a year left and Nolan two. That means they are our players under contract.

Dont understand your point tbh.

I wish they had both signed in January. Both had the option to sign better / longer contracts.

I guess my point is all this belated crying about now not getting contracts is a bit rich when they were the ones who knocked them back.

Of course the likes of some will put the spin on it to suit them. Example. Barton had the right not to sign because he wanted to see who the club were going to bring in.

I guarantee that when his agent turned up a few weeks back to close the deal......nowhere on the list of demands in the agents grubby little paws will have been "Joeys not negotiating til he sees who comes in".

If the contract had been right, Im sure McKay would have signed there and then.