Five Famous people who went to you school

Guest LeazesLad

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't even name 5 famous people from Blyth.

One of the lads that are in court for helping Roaul Moat was in the year above me at school.

Isnt Ridley Scott from Blyth?

S Shields allegedly but I think he grew up in Germany.

I didnt go to school with any one famous ;) All Torquay are famous for is Fawlty Towers :o Agatha Christie and Helen Chamberlain (Hells Bells) A fact people arent so aware of is that Peter Cook was born here and supported Torquay United. I live very close to the road his family lived in and where he was born.

We had a local lad who went to my school (years after I had left) He played for Plymouth Argyle and had trials at Derby County but he had disciplinary problems and his career fizzled out, he just plays for a local side now, shame as he was thought to have a bright future.

Several sketches for Monty Python were filmed here and thats how John Cleese whilst staying at the Gleneagles hotel got the idea for Fawlty Towers. I live near Gleneagles, its just up the road :lol:

Lee Sharpe played for Torquay and moved to Man U from here. Though he wasn't born in Torquay.

Thats about it, I sound like the Torquay Tourist board here :lol:

It's probably time I revealed a dark secret which will no doubt be pounced on by Stevie like a lion on a wounded gazelle - I went to school in Sunderland (passed the 11+ had a chance of 2 schools and as my Dad worked in Mackem Land and could give me a lift I chose that one).

Anyway one half-decent and one shit footballer - Micky Hazard and Barry Wardrobe.

I need to stretch to the associated girls school and another girls school around the corner to get anyone else famous - Lauren Laverne and Kate Adie.

Guest LeazesLad
I didnt go to school with any one famous :blush: All Torquay are famous for is Fawlty Towers ;) Agatha Christie and Helen Chamberlain (Hells Bells) A fact people arent so aware of is that Peter Cook was born here and supported Torquay United. I live very close to the road his family lived in and where he was born.

We had a local lad who went to my school (years after I had left) He played for Plymouth Argyle and had trials at Derby County but he had disciplinary problems and his career fizzled out, he just plays for a local side now, shame as he was thought to have a bright future.

Several sketches for Monty Python were filmed here and thats how John Cleese whilst staying at the Gleneagles hotel got the idea for Fawlty Towers. I live near Gleneagles, its just up the road :lol:

Lee Sharpe played for Torquay and moved to Man U from here. Though he wasn't born in Torquay.

I think you'd be sacked within a week if that's the best you could do :o

I was a kid when I was there but I loved it, really nice place, the whole area is nice, Paignton, Newton Abbot, just too many scousers lets the place down. Terrible accent though.

Guest LeazesLad
It's probably time I revealed a dark secret which will no doubt be pounced on by Stevie like a lion on a wounded gazelle - I went to school in Sunderland (passed the 11+ had a chance of 2 schools and as my Dad worked in Mackem Land and could give me a lift I chose that one).

Anyway one half-decent and one shit footballer - Micky Hazard and Barry Wardrobe.

I need to stretch to the associated girls school and another girls school around the corner to get anyone else famous - Lauren Laverne and Kate Adie.

I could sense it mate, I really could, when I used to take the piss out of South Tyneside for a bite, the only one who would bite was you, I knew there was a skeleton in your closet :lol: Did it majorly effect your accent?

Frank Clark (ex Newcastle and Forest)

Vic Wakeling (Managing Director of SkySports)

Richard Cobb (Olympic Aerobatic Freestyle Skiier)

Stuart Bell (MP for Middlesbrough)

Can't think of any more...

Cobbing, isn't it?

I used to compete against in Trampolining.

Aye that's the fella. Remember him competing at the '94 Olympics and coming well down the list. For some reason Look North had their cameras at the school as we all sat in the drama hall watching it on a 14" portable.

I didnt go to school with any one famous ;) All Torquay are famous for is Fawlty Towers :o Agatha Christie and Helen Chamberlain (Hells Bells) A fact people arent so aware of is that Peter Cook was born here and supported Torquay United. I live very close to the road his family lived in and where he was born.

Crackers really when you consider it wasn't filmed anywhere near there isn't it?

I could sense it mate, I really could, when I used to take the piss out of South Tyneside for a bite, the only one who would bite was you, I knew there was a skeleton in your closet :lol: Did it majorly effect your accent?

:lol:

That's why I got so annoyed when you started on that - I spent 7 years having the piss taken out of me for "takkin funney"

It also gave me the knowledge that you were wrong - I know what the differences are first hand.

(And I never shagged one of them either)

I didnt go to school with any one famous :angry: All Torquay are famous for is Fawlty Towers :D Agatha Christie and Helen Chamberlain (Hells Bells) A fact people arent so aware of is that Peter Cook was born here and supported Torquay United. I live very close to the road his family lived in and where he was born.

I think you'd be sacked within a week if that's the best you could do ;)

I was a kid when I was there but I loved it, really nice place, the whole area is nice, Paignton, Newton Abbot, just too many scousers lets the place down. Terrible accent though.

:o I have very little accent! Newton Abbot is a shithole, the most beautiful places down here are Salcombe and Dartmouth and surrounding areas, of course Dartmoor is wildly stunning too. Shaldon is very picturesque too and only a couple miles from here. But yes I consider myself lucky, I live very near to Meadfoot beach, which is completely natural and is a Grockle free zone :blush: But sadly there are way too many scousers here but mainly in the Ellacombe area which I avoid!

We did make the national news recently though....a major Peadophile ring was found operating here ;)

Crackers really when you consider it wasn't filmed anywhere near there isn't it?

I believe he based his character on the then manager of Gleneagles and I think the interior was used, but the outside Hotel shots you see are actually of a small hotel in a Torquay area called Chelston (where I grew up)

EDIT:

Ive just looked it up on Wiki and its says none of it was filmed here, just based here. But Ive always thought the outer shots were of a hotel in Chelston. Not that it matters, I cant stand the program!!

Edited by Toonraider

Guest LeazesLad

:o

That's why I got so annoyed when you started on that - I spent 7 years having the piss taken out of me for "takkin funney"

It also gave me the knowledge that you were wrong - I know what the differences are first hand.

Oah kaya marrur :lol: They don't call me psychic Stevie for nowt ye naa.

Another famous bloke who went to our school was John Nichol. He was the bloke who was shot down in Iraq, and Saddam sat talking with in some propaganda video saying "aye the foods canny" etc... he actually came to the school 2 weeks after he was released, I must've been in first year and he gave a talk about what a mug Saddam was.

I didnt go to school with any one famous :blush: All Torquay are famous for is Fawlty Towers ;) Agatha Christie and Helen Chamberlain (Hells Bells) A fact people arent so aware of is that Peter Cook was born here and supported Torquay United. I live very close to the road his family lived in and where he was born.

I believe he based his character on the then manager of Gleneagles and I think the interior was used, but the outside Hotel shots you see are actually of a small hotel in a Torquay area called Chelston (where I grew up)

Afraid not Bev. You're right that it was based on the Gleneagles but the actual hotel they used was Wooburn Grange Country Club, Bucks. The place burnt down in 1991 and the whole area was redeveloped as a housing estate. Doubt the O'Reilly brothers had anything to do with it either :o

http://www.fawltysite.net/misc/wooburngrange.htm

Afraid not Bev. You're right that it was based on the Gleneagles but the actual hotel they used was Wooburn Grange Country Club, Bucks. The place burnt down in 1991 and the whole area was redeveloped as a housing estate. Doubt the O'Reilly brothers had anything to do with it either :o

http://www.fawltysite.net/misc/wooburngrange.htm

Yeah Ive already said that Craig, I looked it up. BUT if you could see the hotel Im speaking of and watch the program, I can see why people down here always say the outside shots were of the Chelston Hotel. Identical.

:lol:

They don't call me psychic Stevie

You're right, nee one does! :lol: