Religion headed toward extinction

Happy Face

A study using census data from nine countries shows that religion there is set for extinction, say researchers.

The study found a steady rise in those claiming no religious affiliation.

The team's mathematical model attempts to account for the interplay between the number of religious respondents and the social motives behind being one.

The result, reported at the American Physical Society meeting in Dallas, US, indicates that religion will all but die out altogether in those countries.

Nonlinear dynamics is invoked to explain a wide range of physical phenomena in which a number of factors play a part.

One of the team, Daniel Abrams of Northwestern University, put forth a similar model in 2003 to put a numerical basis behind the decline of lesser-spoken world languages.

At its heart is the competition between speakers of different languages, and the "utility" of speaking one instead of another.

"The idea is pretty simple," said Richard Wiener of the Research Corporation for Science Advancement.

"It posits that social groups that have more members are going to be more attractive to join, and it posits that social groups have a social status or utility.

"For example in languages, there can be greater utility or status in speaking Spanish instead of [the dying language] Quechuan in Peru, and similarly there's some kind of status or utility in being a member of a religion or not."

The team took census data stretching back as far as a century from countries in which the census queried religious affiliation: Australia, Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Switzerland.

Some of the census data the team used date from the 19th century

"In a large number of modern secular democracies, there's been a trend that folk are identifying themselves as non-affiliated with religion; in the Netherlands the number was 40%, and the highest we saw was in the Czech Republic, where the number was 60%," Dr Wiener said.

The team then applied their nonlinear dynamics model, adjusting parameters for the relative social and utilitarian merits of membership of the "non-religious" category.

They found, in a study published online, that those parameters were similar across all the countries studied, suggesting that similar behaviour drives the mathematics in all of them.

And in all the countries, the indications were that religion was headed toward extinction.

"I think it's a suggestive result," Dr Wiener said.

"It's interesting that a fairly simple model captures the data, and if those simple ideas are correct, it suggests where this might be going.

"Obviously much more complicated things are going on with any one individual, but maybe a lot of that averages out."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811197

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm worried that in response to the rise of Islam as LM would put it, people who would have ticked no religion in ours will be tempted to tick Christian again just to make a point.

I wish they'd revised the question.

I'm worried that in response to the rise of Islam as LM would put it, people who would have ticked no religion in ours will be tempted to tick Christian again just to make a point.

what a bollocks of a study, if ever you wanted proof that "academics" can be a complete waste of time....why do you take notice of rubbish like this.

The only way religion will "die out" is when Islam enforces itself on the world and puts an end to anybody holding different views.....rendering such polls pointless..... :(:cuppa:

Does anybody SERIOUSLY think Islam will "become extinct" ? :(

What a waste of time.

what a bollocks of a study, if ever you wanted proof that "academics" can be a complete waste of time....why do you take notice of rubbish like this.

The only way religion will "die out" is when Islam enforces itself on the world and puts an end to anybody holding different views.....rendering such polls pointless..... :(:cuppa:

What a waste of time.

Christianity is dying out in the first world.

There is hope of places like Egypt and Turkey becoming less Islamic - you think that over the next 200 years say all of those Muslim babies will automatically follow their parents religion - this study suggests that they will not.

What a waste of time.

There is hope of places like Egypt and Turkey becoming less Islamic - you think that over the next 200 years say all of those Muslim babies will automatically follow their parents religion - this study suggests that they will not.

Christianity is being replaced by Islam in the first world ? [ I won't use the term "taking over" as I realise it may offend some of the more sensitive elements here].

I don't know how many muslim babies will automatically follow their parents religion, nobody does, but in the current world it would appear the vast majority do precisely that. Where will that change ?

What a waste of time.

Christianity is being replaced by Islam in the first world ? [ I won't use the term "taking over" as I realise it may offend some of the more sensitive elements here].

I don't know how many muslim babies will automatically follow their parents religion, nobody does, but in the current world it would appear the vast majority do precisely that. Where will that change ?

When will you learn to count and realise that 2 or 3% of a 60m population (taking the UK) cannot "replace" the 60% who still call themselves Christians or the 30% who just don't believe?

As I said I don't expect progress in Pakistan but I do see it in the recent middle east upheaveal. I would also be astonished if the "retention" rate of Muslims who live in Europe is anywhere near that of Muslim countries -western lifestyles will corrupt.

What a waste of time.

When will you learn to count and realise that 2 or 3% of a 60m population (taking the UK) cannot "replace" the 60% who still call themselves Christians or the 30% who just don't believe?

As I said I don't expect progress in Pakistan but I do see it in the recent middle east upheaveal. I would also be astonished if the "retention" rate of Muslims who live in Europe is anywhere near that of Muslim countries -western lifestyles will corrupt.

when will you learn to look around you. I never said anything about it being next week. Anyway, how many of that 60m population are silent Christians that don't really give a fuck about it, as compared to the growing number of active muslims.

Thank fuck, Leazes has launched into another BNP stump speech, I was getting low on my ill-informed reactionary quota for the week. :cuppa:

when will you learn to look around you. I never said anything about it being next week. Anyway, how many of that 60m population are silent Christians that don't really give a fuck about it, as compared to the growing number of active muslims.

You're assuming a constant birthrate and 100% religion retention with 100% "activism" - the latter of which is already a tiny minority even in second or third generation.

If you honestly believe anywhere within a million miles of the majority of Muslims in this country are extremists then you are even more mental than I thought.

Thank fuck, Leazes has launched into another BNP stump speech, I was getting low on my ill-informed reactionary quota for the week. :cuppa:

been busy watching Al Jazeera today have you ?

You're assuming a constant birthrate and 100% religion retention with 100% "activism" - the latter of which is already a tiny minority even in second or third generation.

If you honestly believe anywhere within a million miles of the majority of Muslims in this country are extremists then you are even more mental than I thought.

omg.

Islam is a mental religion though. When people talk about multiculturalism not working in the UK they really mean the integration of Islam, just noone has the balls to actually say that and point at one thing. Everyone else is pretty sweet really.

Islam calls for the murder of those who renounce it. Islam/Allah offers extra virgins to those who convert anyone. The word of Allah, a fair old bit of it is questionable to say the very least, can be questioned and debated - as long as in the end you accept the word of Allah. While there are indeed many peaceful and gentle muslims they are absolutely stuck in their religion - it might be socially and familially challenging to walk away from catholicism and others but walking away from Islam is punishable by death. That is some motivation.

This isn't racism, by the way. This is the acknowledgement that one of the religions most prevalent on earth is aggressive and restrictive and in many ways still in the dark ages.

Edited by trophyshy

The only way religion will "die out" is when Islam enforces itself on the world and puts an end to anybody holding different views.....rendering such polls pointless.....

Erm, wouldn't that be the opposite of religion dying out? How oxymoronic of you.

The only way religion will "die out" is when Islam enforces itself on the world and puts an end to anybody holding different views.....rendering such polls pointless.....

Erm, wouldn't that be the opposite of religion dying out? How oxymoronic of you.

do you talk like that in real life ? :cuppa:

Been fabricating positions and opinions today have you?

Islam is a mental religion though. When people talk about multiculturalism not working in the UK they really mean the integration of Islam, just noone has the balls to actually say that and point at one thing. Everyone else is pretty sweet really.

Islam calls for the murder of those who renounce it. Islam/Allah offers extra virgins to those who convert anyone. The word of Allah, a fair old bit of it is questionable to say the very least, can be questioned and debated - as long as in the end you accept the word of Allah. While there are indeed many peaceful and gentle muslims they are absolutely stuck in their religion - it might be socially and familially challenging to walk away from catholicism and others but walking away from Islam is punishable by death. That is some motivation.

This isn't racism, by the way. This is the acknowledgement that one of the religions most prevalent on earth is aggressive and restrictive and in many ways still in the dark ages.

Lord, I'd rather have someone 'experienced', than a virgin.

:cuppa:

I agree with that but I'd have to add that some of the far right wing Christian stuff we see from America bothers me at least as much as the more extreme Islamists. Perhaps because I would like to think I have more in common with these people but in reality I really don't. Witness some of the comments American Christians have made against the 'Godless' Japanese after the tsunami for instance. These idiots haven't got the excuse of coming from an utter war torn shit hole like Afghanistan after all.

My daughter who is 9, is a catholic and attends a catholic school, is already questioning 'gods' motives. I think she's now realised that the closest she'll ever get to god is sitting next to her dad on the settee with a bag of haribos and a good film.

Edited by Jusoda Kid

Lord, I'd rather have someone 'experienced', than a virgin.

:(

:cuppa:

back in the day though, virgins were highly prized as that was the only sure fire way to avoid cockrot. And when you have as many concubines as Mohammed, including a 6 year old when he was 54, it's an important incentive.

This isn't racism, by the way . This is the acknowledgement that one of the religions most prevalent on earth is aggressive and restrictive and in many ways still in the dark ages.

well trophyshy, some of the Mohammeds on here, for example Fish, would say it IS racist.

It's also a mental religion, and yes you are right, multiculturism not working in the UK is specifically pointed at the non-integration of Islam. So who are the racists ?

It's obviously easier for Muslims to walk away when they live in the UK (and not in the over-isolated enclaves in Lancashire etc) than it is in Muslim countries which is why the idea of Muslims "taking over" Europe is so stupid.

do you talk like that in real life ? :cuppa:

No. Do you contradict yourself all the time in real life?

Been fabricating positions and opinions today have you?

no Mohammed.