Cameron --- Pen Pushers can't stop your Royal party!

Christmas Tree

I dont think 'cost' is an issue from an economic point of view. The family bring plenty of tourist money into the country.

Whats interesting for me is that people in this thread are seemingly quite negative about them without being actually anti-royalist? Is that right or are some of the negative posters, actually anti-royalists too?

For me, the royal family are part of our culture and our cultural heritage. We have two type of heritage, our physical wealth, buildings, national art etc and intangibles like language, tradition and customs.

We all marvel at the quaintness of traditions in other countries, preserved in many cases just for the sake of preserving them (because of their intangible value in the culture), yet dont look to this institution (which probably costs us nowt) as something to value in itself and for itself.

Am in no way a Royalist but i look at the royal family in the same way i look at bullfighting in the basque country. Its something people like to preserve without there being any actual point to the activity outside of the entertainment. I guess you can argue after today that the family provide entertainment.

In 2003, UNESCO made a convention for preserving intangible cultural heritage. It more than likely* includes religions that artificially promote people to elevated status in society and use ceremony to celebrate the fact. Because that happens in some remote corner of Asia, thats great but if it relates to a British family, its not worth it?

*i.e. i just made that up.

nicely put, although as has been said, the money generated is well worth the cost.

How much does the Royal Family cost when put against all those who should not be in the country, or are here and have no intention of working and spongeing etc including benefits, cost to the social services, housing, dilution of education for our own kids, and increases in unemployment both directly and indirectly ?

Not wishing to change the topic, but its a view that I expect some on here would prefer to spend the money on instead ..... enriching our society etc and other such bollocks.

Never mind, if we give Gadaffi policitical asylum he might apply for their jobs.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£25m for something that will last 5 years, I don't want to sound like Tecato, but all I'll say is I have lots to say about this ALL of it moaning, which is what I've done all morning on twitter. These royalists man they come from no where, no one cared yesterday, they're like Liverpool fans, but the royals have even more blood on their hands than them historically. I wish there had've been a tornado or summik in London today.

It's going to generate 107m for the economy. not a bad return on 25m. in fact. it's about the best return on tax money one could ask for.

beats the hell out of £3 Bn for 3 weeks of athletics

I don't really give a shit about the economics - its the principle of position by birth that's abhorrent and anyone who doesn't realise that cannot have any pride.

£25m for something that will last 5 years, I don't want to sound like Tecato, but all I'll say is I have lots to say about this ALL of it moaning, which is what I've done all morning on twitter. These royalists man they come from no where, no one cared yesterday, they're like Liverpool fans, but the royals have even more blood on their hands than them historically. I wish there had've been a tornado or summik in London today.

It's going to generate 107m for the economy. not a bad return on 25m. in fact. it's about the best return on tax money one could ask for.

An extra public holiday costs the economy 10s of millions - I'd be astounded if the overall balance was positive.

100s of millions more like, the point you make is what I was going to say however. The economy has had a days business taken from it. There are what, about 230 working days in a year. So putting it simplistically you are removing 1/230th of the days where business can take place in the country. You might think so what. The economy is worth about £2,000,000,000,000 so taking 1/230th from that is well, well, well in to the hundreds of millions of pounds.

As for CT's comments about people who view today's events negatively as wanting to create some sort of image, absolute bollocks. There are many millions of people who think this isn't something of benefit for the country. Tell that to hospital wards who could've done with this outrageous funding. We're talking about one of the wealthiest families in the world, WHY THE FUCK should we pay for it. It's 2011 not 1901.

I don't really give a shit about the economics - its the principle of position by birth that's abhorrent and anyone who doesn't realise that cannot have any pride.

Gaddafi may be available soon, if you fancy an alternative.

There are worse people there today who were invited with no problem.

Now, didn't William once make an flight to Kate's house whilst training to be a helicopter pilot? Surely that would be an offence that is worthy of a court martial if a regular trainee pilot did that, or they'd be laughed out of theroom if they proposed such a move. One rule for one, one rule for the peasants.

Here is a link..

I agree with NJS, and thefollowing links to the Mark Steel Lectures on Beethoven sums it up, especially part 2.

Part 1

Part 2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/roy...conomy-5bn.html

There ye are. £5 billion. Fucking obscene. The cut backs are only going to save £6 billion. Lets all live in fluffy cloud cuckoo land where everythings pink, and farts smell of CK1. Ah I forgot anyone who looks at this negatively is only do it for a hardman image. Disgraceful.

I agree with everything Stevie said although as I was born in NE9 so I'm not sure whether he wants to be associated with me :lol:

All NE's that don't start with 3 are fine ;)

One thing I didn't mention, if it is £5 billion, and I knew it wasn't 10's of millions as NJS said, put this in to perspective. The cut backs in our country, where the effects haven't fully hit home yet, and will cost tens of thousands of jobs, are only saving 6 billion. One billion more than we've sacrificed for this on this scandalous day. It's actually obscene. All of this bollocks about how much the money the Royal Family bring in to the country via tourism, as Ketsbaia said on twitter, how the fuck do you calculate that?

I agree with everything Stevie said although as I was born in NE9 so I'm not sure whether he wants to be associated with me :lol:

All NE's that don't start with 3 are fine ;)

One thing I didn't mention, if it is £5 billion, and I knew it wasn't 10's of millions as NJS said, put this in to perspective. The cut backs in our country, where the effects haven't fully hit home yet, and will cost tens of thousands of jobs, are only saving 6 billion. One billion more than we've sacrificed for this on this scandalous day. It's actually obscene. All of this bollocks about how much the money the Royal Family bring in to the country via tourism, as Ketsbaia said on twitter, how the fuck do you calculate that?

I thought I may have read a figure of £2bn somewhere but couldn't be bothered to search which is why I put 10s of millions. Being honest I think these things can be exaggerated as describing "lost sales" doesn't mention you could just go and buy whatever it was tomorrow. I suppose businesses that rely on other businesses being open like restaurants etc would be hit hardest. Having said that I know where I work the obvious purpose is to trade to make money every day so any lost chance represents a miss.

The tourism one is a hard one as its obvious to me that people would still come here if it was abolished today. The standard argument is that the palace of Versailles is the biggest tourist attraction in Europe despite the French doing the right thing 230 years ago. Having said that I wonder how many thick yanks wouldn't bother if they didn't think they could actually sit down to tea with the Queen.

Saddam ?

Saddam ?

Whoever represented Saudi, Bahrain, Yemen, Zimbabwe, a few other African countries and Indonesia would be a good start.

Saddam ?

Whoever represented Saudi, Bahrain, Yemen, Zimbabwe, a few other African countries and Indonesia would be a good start.

are they all here claiming asylum, spongeing off the state, and preaching death to British troops and infidels too ?

Answer the question. What's your idealistic alternative ? A president ? A dictator ? Nobody ?

An elected President would be my choice.

Cue Leazes and the other monarchists saying something amazingly stupid like "what? you'd be happy with a President Blair?!!" to create a total non-argument in favour of keeping the privilige principle in place.

An elected President would be my choice.

Cue Leazes and the other monarchists saying something amazingly stupid like "what? you'd be happy with a President Blair?!!" to create a total non-argument in favour of keeping the privilige principle in place.

aye, its like saying if you don't read the Guardian you're a racist :lol:

the only case to be made for the monarchy is made by the moron

as you have done re the football club, you'll eventually realise I'm right ie when you grow up and forget about the brainwashing you had by your left wing nutcase teacher at college

Leazes fuck off man, you tedious arsehole.

Did you look at those posts where other people mentioned Shepherd ?

So fuck off yourself.

Serious question about the Monarchy. I'm not a Monarchist, but these people who object to it, whats their alternative ?

If you can't enjoy today for what it was and what it meant then you are a sad sad person, and that is who you should be addressing such daft comments at.