End of Season Report

Christmas Tree

The Boardroom. B+

Compared to recent seasons, this one has definitely being an improvement. Most of the time they have just got on with the immediate task at hand which was sorting out the financial mess the club was in. The promise of a break even season this year and a profitable one next, can only be good news for the rebuilding program.

Major football decisions were the Hughton sacking (which I agree with) and the Carroll sale (which Im still not happy about but understand the decision).

The Manager C

The fact that he actually has something to say is a breath of fresh air compared to Hughton. (Who will always be thanked for his service to the club). A promising start with some notable free kick adjustments has given way to some poor line ups, albeit the dregs of the barrel he was left with at times. Looking forward to judging him properly this time next year.

The Team B+

Without doubt they have given us some fantastic memories this season that Im sure most of us will treasure for a lifetime. While not overshadowed, the shine has been taken off due to some of the abysmal displays (such as Blackpool) that have also been served up. Injuries and suspensions have cost us dear, however I still think this is a squad that with some sensible additions, will do us proud next year.

The Media D

Think the media have really become watered down and far too interested in tweeting crap and serving up one liners from the latest cosy press conference when they could be doing so much more.

Outlook A

I think Ashley has now achieved his first goal by stabilising the clubs finances and taking us from financial loss to profit. He will now look to bolster the "stock" (playing staff) to enable the club to continue forward while having players who can take us on, then be sold on at a profit (if required) rather than players who will sit and bleed us dry.

I expect Nolan and Barton will both sign new contracts within a fortnight and Enrique will depart for pastures new. I also expect to see 2 or 3 additions who will improve the first team and several others who will improve the squad.

I expect a much more consistent team next year that will be exciting to watch and could just surprise a few people.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd put the boardroom on the same level as the team? :lol:

As for the Outlook, that's massive optimistic! Jury should be out on that one until the summer window shuts - THEN make your assessment.

Stunned at your backing of the Hughton sacking too.

We survived so mission accomplished.

Full credit to the team for keeping us in the PL (so it seems). Thanks to Chris Hughton who was largely resposible for building the team spirit and getting us the results we needed. Jury's out on Pardew for me - we'll see next season, assuming he's not sacked in the meantime (you never know with our lot).

The Board showed through the Hughton sacking that they will never have any class and will always treat their managers like shit. The selling of Carroll with no replacement lined up also shows they are still happy to gamble with the club's future. However IF that money's reinvested wisely, we might just kick on from here and it MIGHT be a good decision with hindsight.

Looking foward, we should hope for more than survival and balancing the books. Keeping our best players and spending the Carroll cash is key.

I agree with Kitman's view.

The team have generally done well, they have maintained the team spirit, determination and dignity forged last year, and have given us something to build upon, subject of course to the summers arrivals and departures.

The manager(s) have done OK. I'd echo that the jury is still out on Pardew. He hasn't done badly and has largely picked up where Hughton left off and hasn't rocked the boat too much. I'm still angry about Hughton's sacking and I don't think we'd be in too diffrent a position than the one we're currently in.

The board. It hasn't been the worst year for Ashley & Llambias, but the sports direct@sjp continues to linger on in the background and there's been the awful sd logo on the Gallowgate. As I've already said, the Hughton sacking was poor. Over Carroll, I don't entirely believe their version of events though I'd say the same for Carrolls side if the story. They should have got a striker or two in anyway regardless of whether he was off or not. We've struggled and although we've just about got through, it hasn't made things easy. There are things they have got right. I think the season ticket schemes and range of options available are pretty good (they just need to organise it a bit better re those of us who put in for a move). I think that if they were a bit more open and engaging with the fans, a lot of problems could be ironed out. If it's a case of we haven't got a lot to spend because of 'x y and z' fans will accept it easier, because they've heard it straight without any rumour or speculation which breeds mistrust. It's not about justification, it's about being upfront with the people who care about NUFC more than anyone - us, the fans. If things are shit (I'm not saying they are), then just be honest and tell us.

Better than most expected.

Played some great football, some awful football, some suprising results and some shocking results. Conceded late goals to drop points and had a fair few refereeing decisions go against us, some bad luck with injuries and losing arguably our best player.....still staying in the PL and likely top 10. B

Could of been so much more and so very different had we not sold carroll, lost barfa to injury and not lost a lead late on in a few games.

That said...im very happy with this season.

Wasnt happy with the sacking of CH though, shouldnt of been done when it was, imo he should of been here till the end of the season.

Didnt agree with the AP appointment but in fairness i do quite like him.

Lets just keep this forward movement going by keeping our best players and tieing them down. Signing 5+ players of quality in the summer.

:lol:

Edited by Tioté's Nutz

The Boardroom. B+

Compared to recent seasons, this one has definitely being an improvement. Most of the time they have just got on with the immediate task at hand which was sorting out the financial mess the club was in. The promise of a break even season this year and a profitable one next, can only be good news for the rebuilding program.

Major football decisions were the Hughton sacking (which I agree with) and the Carroll sale (which Im still not happy about but understand the decision).

The Manager C

The fact that he actually has something to say is a breath of fresh air compared to Hughton. (Who will always be thanked for his service to the club). A promising start with some notable free kick adjustments has given way to some poor line ups, albeit the dregs of the barrel he was left with at times. Looking forward to judging him properly this time next year.

The Team B+

Without doubt they have given us some fantastic memories this season that Im sure most of us will treasure for a lifetime. While not overshadowed, the shine has been taken off due to some of the abysmal displays (such as Blackpool) that have also been served up. Injuries and suspensions have cost us dear, however I still think this is a squad that with some sensible additions, will do us proud next year.

The Media D

Think the media have really become watered down and far too interested in tweeting crap and serving up one liners from the latest cosy press conference when they could be doing so much more.

Outlook A

I think Ashley has now achieved his first goal by stabilising the clubs finances and taking us from financial loss to profit. He will now look to bolster the "stock" (playing staff) to enable the club to continue forward while having players who can take us on, then be sold on at a profit (if required) rather than players who will sit and bleed us dry.

I expect Nolan and Barton will both sign new contracts within a fortnight and Enrique will depart for pastures new. I also expect to see 2 or 3 additions who will improve the first team and several others who will improve the squad.

I expect a much more consistent team next year that will be exciting to watch and could just surprise a few people.

End of Season reports, I find, are best left for the end of the season, but I must say that even allowing for your optimism and blind faith belief in whatever 'the club' says you've come across as naive there.

If I was to give a mark up until this point I'd give the Boardroom a D. Can't believe anything they say, and they always have an ulterior motive. Absolutely cannot be trusted, which is one thing that is essential in a successful lasting relationship between a board and the supporters. The treatment of Hughton is particular was testament to their lies and mismanagement. The nature and happenings in the sale of Andy Carroll serve to further emphasise this.

On the subject of the Manager, Chris Hughton did a fantastic job of bringing the team back into the premiership. He did make some overly cautious team selections, and was slow in general with making changes during matchs. Ultimately on the balance of everything he did a great job worthy of praise. B+

Putting aside the whole sacking of Hughton and the involvement of the board, if you evaluate Pardew on his time here then he has done quite well. It has to be noted that he came into a squad with high spirits, which is not the usual case for an incoming manager. Nonetheless there wasn't much of an issue during the handover phase and in some ways he seems more likely to play attacking teams. Has made his share of interesting decisions in terms of formations (three centre backs notably) and team selections (switching Simpson to left back to play Saylor on the right) but overall he's done well and I'd give him a B.

The Team. They certainly have provided some entertaining matches, and recorded some fantastic results. At the other end of the spectrum there has been some absolutely horrid performances as well. Only a few of these were down to the extreme lightness of our squad in particular positions, which is something that you cannot blame the players for (another detractor in the direction of the board). Some players have really stood out as fantastic - Tiote, Enrique, and Coloccini in particular. Joey Barton has had some excellent spells, which have had the gloss taken off them somewhat by some poor performances and some typically stupid Barton 'play' (Against Blackburn and MGP). Jonas has had a good season, as a virtual ever present in the side. Danny Simpson has overall impressed, but has some work to do. Kevin Nolan as a leader has been excellent, and his goals have been invaluable. All said and done taking into account their position on the table currently they deserve a B+.

Who gives a crap about the media.

As for outlook, impossible to say with this board.

Edited by OzToonFan

Oz toon fan

If your waiting for a board you can trust at Newcastle, you'll have a long long wait. I don't think I've ever known one.

Re the media. While you say you don't give a crap, a lot of the things that we discuss about the club are media lead. Throughout the year you might see the odd good Henry ??? article on the toon etc, but for the most part, the local journos just seem to turn up to the press conference and regurgitate what they hear without much further digging or analysis.

Tecato

If players of the year are done and dusted I'm sure we're pretty safe with this. Can't see much happening in the last four games that will change your current view point.

Tom

I agree about the board and communication however each time they do communicate it seems to go tits up. Somehow they need to overcome this, however as Pardews on a more personal level with them, perhaps they are quite happy to let most board "feelings" flow through him.

Outlook A

laughable.

Our outlook now is worse than it was this time last year. No Carroll, Enrique about to go and doubts over Tiote, never mind the other two you named.

I think the only person surprised next season will be you, most of us expect a worse season than this.

Most of "you" expected no promotion from the championship and intact expected relegation.

Once promoted, most of "you" expected another relegation. (if memory serves me right, you were still predicting our relegation in December)!

My outlook is deserved optimism based on the progress made over the last two years since relegation. Yours is based on rampant negativity based on nothing more than your negative outlook on all things toon related.

We are in a far stronger position than most clubs outside of the top six and have funds available to strengthen. hanging on to Enrique appears out of the clubs hands, however the loss of Enrique will not make or break next season by any stretch of imagination.

You need to take some happy pills.

youre a fool of the highest order, permanently drugged up on some wild wacky baccy everytime Dekka opens his gob. My view is based on history and the rumblings going on. Yours is based on wild optimism.

youre a fool of the highest order, permanently drugged up on some wild wacky baccy everytime Dekka opens his gob. My view is based on history and the rumblings going on. Yours is based on wild optimism.

I predicted promotion from the championship, you predicted relegation.

I predicted a good first season back, you predicted relegation.

I am predicting a good season next year, you are again predicting relegation (or a scrap at least).

"history" with regards to predictions, is on my side. The rumblings I think are all in your head.

A person's rating of the outlook for the club depends entirely on their expectations. CT's A rating reflects the fact that his expectations are low. He's happy with also-ran, top 10/top half of the bottom 10, plucky performances against the top teams, variable performances against everyone else and mediocre signings. And the fact that we are now a selling club.

That's the only explanation for rating the current outlook for the club as A grade. Well, that or he's on the wind-up. Or he's just stupid.

A person's rating of the outlook for the club depends entirely on their expectations. CT's A rating reflects the fact that his expectations are low. He's happy with also-ran, top 10/top half of the bottom 10, plucky performances against the top teams, variable performances against everyone else and mediocre signings. And the fact that we are now a selling club.

That's the only explanation for rating the current outlook for the club as A grade. Well, that or he's on the wind-up. Or he's just stupid.

Apart from some more dramatic tones, that's not a bad appraisal.

Some fans realise that success at Newcastle is a very rare commodity and has been for the main in 70 years. Our ride under KK was a blip not the norm. Those who see it as the norm or "our right" or however you want to describe it, are the ones who will constantly have this negative outlook.

Those who accept it was indeed a blip can more easily return to being an also ran yet still get enjoyment out of following Newcastle.

Unless the new financial regulations have a big impact (which I think they may) or a sheik buys us out, then there is no prospect us really competing with the Top four anytime soon.

I would also note that my outlook A is a 12 month outlook and I do expect us to start next year stronger than this and perform better than this.

Newcastle fans should know better than most that it is all about the "team", not individual stars.

Gemmill, what are your expectations and how would you suggest they be attained?

I think next season will be one of struggle. I think we will probably lose a couple of our better players during the summer which will contribute to this. And I think that's basically our lot for the foreseeable future. I don't think that merits an A grade.

I think to assume anything significantly brighter than that is to ignore the evidence all around you and stick your head in the sand. Just because we haven't heard much from our great leaders for a couple of months, people allow their expectation levels to sneak back up. Christmas Tree for instance, was adamant that Carroll was going nowhere in January (one prediction he doesn't like to bring up) and was sick when we sold him. But now he's bouncing again and it's simply because he's allowed a bit of silence from the idiots in charge to reset his expectations. Some people aren't that forgetful.

Apart from some more dramatic tones, that's not a bad appraisal.

Some fans realise that success at Newcastle is a very rare commodity and has been for the main in 70 years. Our ride under KK was a blip not the norm. Those who see it as the norm or "our right" or however you want to describe it, are the ones who will constantly have this negative outlook.

Those who accept it was indeed a blip can more easily return to being an also ran yet still get enjoyment out of following Newcastle.

Unless the new financial regulations have a big impact (which I think they may) or a sheik buys us out, then there is no prospect us really competing with the Top four anytime soon.

I would also note that my outlook A is a 12 month outlook and I do expect us to start next year stronger than this and perform better than this.

Newcastle fans should know better than most that it is all about the "team", not individual stars.

So how is any of that A grade. You're predicting a C grade future and ranking it as A grade.

The Boardroom - Unclassified No Grade given due to gross misbehaviour

The Manager - up to December B+ - after December C

The Team - B-

The Media - C+

Outlook - E

Edited by McFaul

Well, that or he's on the wind-up. Or he's just stupid.

Both correct IMHO

Sometimes it's better just to say nothing at all Craig :lol:

Correct. Not on this occassion though bonny lad... :lol:

Gemmill, you said that Christmas Tree's expectations were low.

In 1996-97, Ginola was with us and we finished second. But he only made 24 appearances and only scored once. You can't argue he deserved it more than Zola. And as much of Toon supporter as I am, surely you're not suggesting he sould have gotten it over Cantona in '95-96? .)

and then you said this.

, people allow their expectation levels to sneak back up. Christmas Tree for instance, was adamant that Carroll was going nowhere in January (one prediction he doesn't like to bring up) and was sick when we sold him. But now he's bouncing again and it's simply because he's allowed a bit of silence from the idiots in charge to reset his expectations. Some people aren't that forgetful.

Okay, you use the word 'expectations' in 2 different ways, I can see that.

But regarding the use of the word 'expectations' in the FIRST way, what should our expectations be?