Mike Williamson

Craig

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it even an argument that Taylor's better than Williamson? On his day Stevie is as good as most defenders in the prem outside the top 7. Him and Collo could stay there for a few years for all I care

Is it even an argument that Taylor's better than Williamson? On his day Stevie is as good as most defenders in the prem outside the top 7. Him and Collo could stay there for a few years for all I care

Are you being fucking serious?

Off the top of my head I'm gonna say Shawcross, R. Johnson and Samba are much better players. Sure there's a good few more.

Off the top of my head I'm gonna say Shawcross, R. Johnson and Samba are much better players. Sure there's a good few more.

And if we are just talking about "on his day" players - Bramble surely rates as one of the best CB in the world.

Shame "on his day" = shite 80% of the time.

Guest alex

Also, Bramble and AOB were both alright as long as Woodgate was playing alongside one of them. Together they were an accident waiting to happen. Also, and I said this at the time :( , Boumsong looked good when he first arrived because Bramble was playing out of his skin and his job was a doddle.

We've had some horrible centre backs over the years. I think williamson has done pretty well since he's been here. Would rather he was 3rd choice and Taylor 4th with a new man brought in to partner collocini. Samba would be a good buy.

He's been getting right on my tits lately. I think he goes hiding personally-he was much improved under Hughton, been shite lately.

Chronicle saying Sol is being released this summer, one of the biggest earners at the club. Also mooted to be on the way out : Smith, Guthrie, Enrique and Jonas.

Danny Guthrie – who has attracted interest from top Championship clubs – looks vulnerable, having failed to hold down a regular starting slot under either Hughton or Pardew, as is Alan Smith.

Smith is another big earner at St James’ Park, but he is only considered back up for first-choice centre midfield pair Kevin Nolan and Cheik Tioté.

The former Leeds and Manchester United star will have just one year left on a contract that earns him in excess of £58,000 a week and which will almost certainly not be renewed.

A bid in excess of £1m could be tempting for a club which is trying to free up wage bill space for new recruits to ensure more of the £35m received for Andy Carroll can be spent on transfer fees. With José Enríque – who is still refusing to open contract talks – almost certain to leave at the end of the season given the goodbye tone of a television interview earlier this week, another surprising departure could be Jonás Gutiérrez.

The Argentina international is concerned by the impending departure of his close friend and may also feel the time is right for him to move on after three years on Tyneside.

Newcastle are not actively looking to sell the winger, although they would not stand in his way if a large bid came in given they intend to sign at least one new wide player this summer.

Oh well, Ben Arfa will be like a new signing :(

from the Chronicle

Hope the possibility of Jonas following Enrique out of the door doesn't unsettle Coloccini, he's been massive for us these past 2 seasons.

Richard Dunne mightn't last too long at Villa if Houllier comes back. Would work well with Colo.

nice bit of competition with Tiote for most yellow cards as well! :(

We might get a new top scorer as well with all the OGs he scores.

Guest alex

Taylor is prone to rash challenges too. Classic case of benefitting from not being in the side iyam. That's another problem with him, he's injured all the time.

What part of most don't you understand?

Guest alex
aye thats true, still think having more pace and probably a bit stronger shades it for him imo

Not sure he does tbh, Ant. Not much in it either way. It probably lets them both down and prevents either being top class.

• 7 months later...

He's BACK!!!

At the other end meanwhile, centre half Mike Williamson made his comeback after a three month absence due to injury and inevitably looked off the pace during a 45 minute run out, suggesting that an involvement in this Saturday's first team game isn't likely.

Everything is gonna be aaaalright.

off the pace or not Id still be happier seeing him and Santon at CB this weekend (if colo isnt back) than perch and simpson stick simpson back out on the right and raylor on the left

Apart from the fact they are all shite in the air, the major problem is that none of the patched up back four are comfortable on the ball and can play it out. Colo did so much of it that we just took it for granted. Even Saylor is streets ahead of the rest of them. Williamson is no better than the rest of them.

Still reckon Pardew will persist with Obertan and Perch.

At centre-half? Mind, Obertan should be decent in the air, what with his massive fucking heed.

Regardless if anyone on here rates Obertan, he and his pace are a huge part of Pardew's tactics. If fit, he'll be in the starting line-up.

Aye, he looks shite but we haven't really got anyone else who can provide his pace. Sammi is an option but I get the feeling Pardew still thinks he's a bit too raw to be starting games in the PL. Not that he's as fast as Obertan in any case.