F.C Barcelona vs Manchester United

LeazesMag

CL Final Questions   

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best team won.

They are the nearest thing I've seen to the Ajax team of the early 70's. I hoped ManU would have threatened them more. I think Ferguson made a mistake playing Valencia instead of Nani, but as the game wore on, he probably should have subbed Carrick for Scholes earlier too.

Hindsight is a great tool and I'm not Alex Ferguson.

2nd best team in europe ? From where I'm sitting, every team in europe bar 1 would take that, but simple logic like this seems to escape many people.

Barcelona were very good, and did it without cheating for once, but Man Utd regardless who they were playing were 2/10. They didn't play their own game and it showed. It's near enough the same two sides who Man Utd deservedly put out in the Semi's three years ago, regardless what you say about how good Scholes and Giggs are/were they're at the end now, and the likes of Park is nee good against a side like them. Best side in England definitely, and I think it says a lot to say that Man Utd are still possibly the second best side in the world. Thought the Man Utd fans were shite on the neet. The only Man Utd player to come out with any credit was Rooney, I thought he was brilliant, and when he plays like that he could play for Barcelona. I'd go as far to say it was best show in a massive game for 7 years.

Funny crack about the Man Utd fans who broke in via the roof of the catering section, punched holes in the roof and got in. Heh. Have a look at the pic. http://yfrog.com/h7ws1uuj

Edited by McFaul

2nd best team in europe ? From where I'm sitting, every team in europe bar 1 would take that, but simple logic like this seems to escape many people.

:lol:

Brilliant

Only you could spin this as a point scored in your never ending, imaginary argument.

Barcelona were very good, and did it without cheating for once, but Man Utd regardless who they were playing were 2/10. They didn't play their own game and it showed. It's near enough the same two sides who Man Utd deservedly put out in the Semi's three years ago, regardless what you say about how good Scholes and Giggs are/were they're at the end now, and the likes of Park is nee good against a side like them. Best side in England definitely, and I think it says a lot to say that Man Utd are still possibly the second best side in the world. Thought the Man Utd fans were shite on the neet. The only Man Utd player to come out with any credit was Rooney, I thought he was brilliant, and when he plays like that he could play for Barcelona. I'd go as far to say it was best show in a massive game for 7 years.

Funny crack about the Man Utd fans who broke in via the roof of the catering section, punched holes in the roof and got in. Heh. Have a look at the pic. http://yfrog.com/h7ws1uuj

What game were you watching stevie? Park was the best midfielder for Man U by far. Valencia was missing except when it came to fouling the opposition; Carrick - well Fletcher should feel hard done by to miss out to him and Giggs who I thought has had a great season for an old man was weak, slow and lost last night.

I think Barca is the better team, regardless of the outcome tomorrow. Just to make that clear I want Barca to win. This seasons' Man U side is the worst in many years and the fact that they're champions tells a lot about this Premiership season.

I do agree but they're as capable of getting results as any Man Utd team, they're just not as easy on the eye. Also following on from your point I'd say that it sums the state of world football up presently, that this Barcelona team are being described as the greatest team ever by the clueless masses.

no way are they as good as the Ajax team of the early 70's

Was thinking about this last night.....3 champions league wins in 5 years for Barca, next year they must be pretty well odds on to make it 4 in 6....I sort of agree with you, but Barca must be up there with them.

There was an article in some paper last week with a former player of Manu saying they could hurt Barca in the air from corners.....so Barca didn't concede any! :lol:

That sort of ability is the mark of a truly exceptional side, who are more than living up to all the hype.

McFaul, your Avatar is absolutely brilliant :D :D :P :P :panic: :panic: :lol:

Aye, I'm glad he went for the Joan Hickson Marple too btwinstead of the modern shite. Nice touch. I've got the boxed set for £50. :panic:

Why does everyone whinge on about that ???

They all fucking do it these days. It's not cheating any more, it's being professional or "clever". Sad but true, and I hate it, but now accept it.

Messi is about the only player who religiously rides a tackle (a long lost skill - that, even Leazes may agree with me on), just about every fucker else (and I mean every fucker worldwide) feels a breath of wind and goes down.

Edited by Toonpack

They all fucking do it these days. It's not cheating any more, it's being professional or "clever". Sad but true, and I hate it, but now accept it.

Messi is about the only player who religiously rides a tackle (a long lost skill - that, even Leazes may agree with me on), just about every fucker else (and I mean every fucker worldwide) feels a breath of wind and goes down.

Basically, aye. Anyone who watches that team and sees "cheats" over "world class footballers" must have an agenda tbh, which tbf Stevie has (though I don't really know why).

People also criticising them for Unicef because it's 'paving the way' to shirt sponsorship. Which other teams would even 'pave the way'? Every other team on earth just rolls over to the fattest cheque book at the end of the day, at least they've given Unicef about £100 millions worth of free advertising.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/29/bar...gue-final-2011/

Goals from each of Barcelona’s front three gave Pep Guardiola’s side victory at Wembley.

Sir Alex Ferguson named his recent ‘big game’ XI – which meant Javier Hernandez upfront with Wayne Rooney behind, and Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick in the centre of midfield. The biggest surprise was Dimitar Berbatov not even being on the bench.

Guardiola was able to call on Eric Abidal at left-back, but not Carles Puyol at centre-back, so Javier Mascherano started in defence after all.

The overall pattern was not completely different from the 2009 final. United enjoyed a good opening few minutes, but were then the poorer side for the rest of the contest.

Barca dominance

There are two ways to consider the game. The first is the obvious approach – Barcelona are clearly the best side in the world, arguably one of the best of all time, and when they are on top of their game, they are unstoppable. It’s an approach that suits everyone – Barca are happy to take the plaudits, United can take the defeat easier knowing they’ve been beaten by a superb side, and the neutral can take pleasure from witnessing such a marvellous performance.

On the other hand, United probably shouldn’t have been dominated to such a large extent. Losing 3-1 is far from shameful, but the overall shots figure (22-4 to Barcelona) and the shots on target figure (12-1 to Barcelona) demonstrate quite how superior Guardiola’s side were. Tactics is not a case of ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ depending solely upon the approach, but it’s difficult to argue that United’s tactics helped them compete in this game at all, even when starting from the earlier viewpoint – that Barca are by far the best around.

Hernandez starts

The key decision before the game was whether Hernandez would play upfront, or be dropped in favour of another midfielder. The choice to play him was an attacking move from Ferguson, but the inevitable knock-on effect was that Carrick and Giggs were overwhelmed in the centre of midfield. Wayne Rooney was given the job of tracking Sergio Busquets – a difficult task considering Rooney wanted to be in space when United won the ball – but Busquets started many of Barcelona’s attacks, and was able to find more attack-minded teammates in space very easily.

Hernandez isn’t the consistent threat over the top he should be considering his speed (though he’s obviously had a fantastic first season in terms of goalscoring) and he found himself frequently offside early in the game. Credit should go to Barcelona for that – in fact, in a game where Barcelona were largely able to play their ‘natural’ game, their aggressive offside trap was one of the few key tactical features. It takes a lot of confidence to be able to play so high up the pitch against Hernandez, especially with a back four that had played as a unit for just 60 minutes before this match.

United early pressure

United looked dangerous early on, and much of their good play came down the left, trying to get in behind Alves

All this said, Hernandez did help press Barcelona early on in this match – and Ferguson’s side were helped by the fact that Barca were without Puyol at the back – he’s a better passer than Abidal or Mascherano, and so it wasn’t a disaster if either of them had time on the ball. United settled quickly, won the first couple of tackles against Messi and played long balls, sometimes diagonal, into dangerous areas. Daniel Alves started nervously and Park Ji-Sung was a threat in the opening minutes.

Out of possession, Valencia and Park dropped deep and played narrow, helping United out in the centre of the pitch. The potential problem with Iniesta identified in the preview was part-solved by Valencia playing close to him. This then gave the Barcelona full-backs time on the ball, however, and it was partly because of that freedom that Barca were able to grow into the match and keep possession.

United’s defence dropped deep when Barca kept the ball, and so when it was played forward to Andres Iniesta, his favoured through-balls between centre-back and full-back trickled out of play for goal-kicks.

Space between the lines

The defence playing deep meant that Messi enjoyed too much time on the ball between the lines. It was obvious from the first minute that United’s strategy was to allow Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to move forward to confront Messi, but this didn’t always work, and Messi got into intelligent positions to cause them problems.

The first goal came about because of space between the lines in two ways – first Xavi Hernandez became free there, and then Messi being unoccupied dragged Patrice Evra towards him, opening up space for Pedro Rodriguez to fire home.

That summed up United’s failings without the ball, because they were too easily dragged out of shape – although usually in the midfield, rather than at the back. Giggs, Park and Valencia all found it difficult to compete, and Carrick was faced with Xavi and Iniesta coming past him, and Messi in behind him. That’s 3rd, 2nd and 1st in last year’s World Footballer of the Year award forming a triangle around him – he desperately needed help, and United needed another body in that zone.

And yet they managed to get back in it, though it was after the pressing that had worked early on, rather than good work in the midfield. They boxed in Barca when Abidal took a throw in the left-back position, won the ball quickly and then Rooney played an excellent double one-two with Carrick and Giggs, and finished superbly.

Second half

After the break, Giggs and Park were told to switch positions permanently, though they’d sometimes swapped in the first half. The wisdom of this was questionable – yes, United needed more energy in the middle, but Park was guilty of switching off for Aaron Ramsey’s goal recently when pushed into the centre, and when watching the replay for Messi’s goal here, he seemed to have given up off before Messi had struck the ball. That said, as mentioned earlier, it was the centre-backs’ job to come up towards Messi, and they were slow to do so.

The other effect of the switch was Giggs becoming exposed to Alves’ runs, and twice in the first ten minutes of the second half, Alves was through on goal after one of his classic darts down the right – once he shot at Edwin van der Sar, the other time he squared for Messi. Ferguson knew something different was needed in midfield, but switching Park and Giggs was unlikely to be the answer. With three central midfielders on the bench – Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Paul Scholes – he did have options.

Final stages

Ferguson waited until the 69th minute to make a change, and that was enforced, as Fabio da Silva was struggling, possibly with cramp. Nani came on, Antonio Valencia went to right-back. Incidentally, it’s not uncommon for Fabio to depart because of fitness problems. He’s started 16 games this season and been removed 10 times, whilst his twin brother Rafael has been taken off in 8 of his last 9 games. These figures include tactical substitutions as well as changes because of injury, but a decent number have been fitness-related, and therefore it was a surprise that Ferguson named no full-back on the bench, with John O’Shea left out of the 18 altogether.

The substitution had little impact on the game, because David Villa soon curled a brilliant shot into the net to put Barcelona 3-1 up, and that settled it. United rarely threatened at two goals down, and Barcelona – particularly Messi – were keen to keep the ball rather than extend the lead.

Conclusion

“We never really controlled Messi,” Ferguson admitted after the game. “But many people have said that. We never really closed the midfield well enough to counter them. We tried to play as near to the way we normally play. For instance, it’s alien to us to try to man-mark players. We tried to play as normally as we can. It wasn’t good enough on the night, we acknowledge that.”

Guardiola was pleased with his side. “We pressed the ball a lot, we were on top of Carrick and Giggs and that shows the quality of our team. You’ll always have problems in the Champions League final but we had less problems than in Rome – we had more chances and we made more of them.

Lionel Messi is the best player I’ve seen, the best I will ever see probably. We have good players but without him I don’t think we’d be able to make that decisive leap.”

As both managers touched upon, there were two key factors – first, United didn’t get to grips with Barca in midfield, and second, Messi was sublime.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/05/29/bar...gue-final-2011/

Goals from each of Barcelona’s front three gave Pep Guardiola’s side victory at Wembley.

Sir Alex Ferguson named his recent ‘big game’ XI – which meant Javier Hernandez upfront with Wayne Rooney behind, and Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick in the centre of midfield. The biggest surprise was Dimitar Berbatov not even being on the bench.

Guardiola was able to call on Eric Abidal at left-back, but not Carles Puyol at centre-back, so Javier Mascherano started in defence after all.

The overall pattern was not completely different from the 2009 final. United enjoyed a good opening few minutes, but were then the poorer side for the rest of the contest.

Barca dominance

There are two ways to consider the game. The first is the obvious approach – Barcelona are clearly the best side in the world, arguably one of the best of all time, and when they are on top of their game, they are unstoppable. It’s an approach that suits everyone – Barca are happy to take the plaudits, United can take the defeat easier knowing they’ve been beaten by a superb side, and the neutral can take pleasure from witnessing such a marvellous performance.

On the other hand, United probably shouldn’t have been dominated to such a large extent. Losing 3-1 is far from shameful, but the overall shots figure (22-4 to Barcelona) and the shots on target figure (12-1 to Barcelona) demonstrate quite how superior Guardiola’s side were. Tactics is not a case of ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ depending solely upon the approach, but it’s difficult to argue that United’s tactics helped them compete in this game at all, even when starting from the earlier viewpoint – that Barca are by far the best around.

Hernandez starts

The key decision before the game was whether Hernandez would play upfront, or be dropped in favour of another midfielder. The choice to play him was an attacking move from Ferguson, but the inevitable knock-on effect was that Carrick and Giggs were overwhelmed in the centre of midfield. Wayne Rooney was given the job of tracking Sergio Busquets – a difficult task considering Rooney wanted to be in space when United won the ball – but Busquets started many of Barcelona’s attacks, and was able to find more attack-minded teammates in space very easily.

Hernandez isn’t the consistent threat over the top he should be considering his speed (though he’s obviously had a fantastic first season in terms of goalscoring) and he found himself frequently offside early in the game. Credit should go to Barcelona for that – in fact, in a game where Barcelona were largely able to play their ‘natural’ game, their aggressive offside trap was one of the few key tactical features. It takes a lot of confidence to be able to play so high up the pitch against Hernandez, especially with a back four that had played as a unit for just 60 minutes before this match.

United early pressure

United looked dangerous early on, and much of their good play came down the left, trying to get in behind Alves

All this said, Hernandez did help press Barcelona early on in this match – and Ferguson’s side were helped by the fact that Barca were without Puyol at the back – he’s a better passer than Abidal or Mascherano, and so it wasn’t a disaster if either of them had time on the ball. United settled quickly, won the first couple of tackles against Messi and played long balls, sometimes diagonal, into dangerous areas. Daniel Alves started nervously and Park Ji-Sung was a threat in the opening minutes.

Out of possession, Valencia and Park dropped deep and played narrow, helping United out in the centre of the pitch. The potential problem with Iniesta identified in the preview was part-solved by Valencia playing close to him. This then gave the Barcelona full-backs time on the ball, however, and it was partly because of that freedom that Barca were able to grow into the match and keep possession.

United’s defence dropped deep when Barca kept the ball, and so when it was played forward to Andres Iniesta, his favoured through-balls between centre-back and full-back trickled out of play for goal-kicks.

Space between the lines

The defence playing deep meant that Messi enjoyed too much time on the ball between the lines. It was obvious from the first minute that United’s strategy was to allow Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand to move forward to confront Messi, but this didn’t always work, and Messi got into intelligent positions to cause them problems.

The first goal came about because of space between the lines in two ways – first Xavi Hernandez became free there, and then Messi being unoccupied dragged Patrice Evra towards him, opening up space for Pedro Rodriguez to fire home.

That summed up United’s failings without the ball, because they were too easily dragged out of shape – although usually in the midfield, rather than at the back. Giggs, Park and Valencia all found it difficult to compete, and Carrick was faced with Xavi and Iniesta coming past him, and Messi in behind him. That’s 3rd, 2nd and 1st in last year’s World Footballer of the Year award forming a triangle around him – he desperately needed help, and United needed another body in that zone.

And yet they managed to get back in it, though it was after the pressing that had worked early on, rather than good work in the midfield. They boxed in Barca when Abidal took a throw in the left-back position, won the ball quickly and then Rooney played an excellent double one-two with Carrick and Giggs, and finished superbly.

Second half

After the break, Giggs and Park were told to switch positions permanently, though they’d sometimes swapped in the first half. The wisdom of this was questionable – yes, United needed more energy in the middle, but Park was guilty of switching off for Aaron Ramsey’s goal recently when pushed into the centre, and when watching the replay for Messi’s goal here, he seemed to have given up off before Messi had struck the ball. That said, as mentioned earlier, it was the centre-backs’ job to come up towards Messi, and they were slow to do so.

The other effect of the switch was Giggs becoming exposed to Alves’ runs, and twice in the first ten minutes of the second half, Alves was through on goal after one of his classic darts down the right – once he shot at Edwin van der Sar, the other time he squared for Messi. Ferguson knew something different was needed in midfield, but switching Park and Giggs was unlikely to be the answer. With three central midfielders on the bench – Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Paul Scholes – he did have options.

Final stages

Ferguson waited until the 69th minute to make a change, and that was enforced, as Fabio da Silva was struggling, possibly with cramp. Nani came on, Antonio Valencia went to right-back. Incidentally, it’s not uncommon for Fabio to depart because of fitness problems. He’s started 16 games this season and been removed 10 times, whilst his twin brother Rafael has been taken off in 8 of his last 9 games. These figures include tactical substitutions as well as changes because of injury, but a decent number have been fitness-related, and therefore it was a surprise that Ferguson named no full-back on the bench, with John O’Shea left out of the 18 altogether.

The substitution had little impact on the game, because David Villa soon curled a brilliant shot into the net to put Barcelona 3-1 up, and that settled it. United rarely threatened at two goals down, and Barcelona – particularly Messi – were keen to keep the ball rather than extend the lead.

Conclusion

“We never really controlled Messi,” Ferguson admitted after the game. “But many people have said that. We never really closed the midfield well enough to counter them. We tried to play as near to the way we normally play. For instance, it’s alien to us to try to man-mark players. We tried to play as normally as we can. It wasn’t good enough on the night, we acknowledge that.”

Guardiola was pleased with his side. “We pressed the ball a lot, we were on top of Carrick and Giggs and that shows the quality of our team. You’ll always have problems in the Champions League final but we had less problems than in Rome – we had more chances and we made more of them.

Lionel Messi is the best player I’ve seen, the best I will ever see probably. We have good players but without him I don’t think we’d be able to make that decisive leap.”

As both managers touched upon, there were two key factors – first, United didn’t get to grips with Barca in midfield, and second, Messi was sublime.

If it came as a surprise that John O'Shea was left out of a squad to face Barcelona in a Champions League final then I can only assume he must be surprised numerous times on a daily basis. :lol:

O'Shea is absolutely abysmal even at Prem level and the rags whince every time he goes near the ball.

Carrick I think is a fucking dreadful player, but the point about him playing in a hole surrounded by the 1st, 2nd and 3rd World Footballers of the Year puts it into even greater context about the gulf in class. Not his fault though, obviously.

As much as I can't stand him, Rooney was the only one who stepped up (on the one occasion with the goal) to even make a contest of it. Him and Vidic at the back.

Barca aren't just class to watch, they actually make you want to go outside and kick a ball about. It's a different level altogether.

Basically, aye. Anyone who watches that team and sees "cheats" over "world class footballers" must have an agenda tbh, which tbf Stevie has (though I don't really know why).

People also criticising them for Unicef because it's 'paving the way' to shirt sponsorship. Which other teams would even 'pave the way'? Every other team on earth just rolls over to the fattest cheque book at the end of the day, at least they've given Unicef about £100 millions worth of free advertising.

It would be revenue they've never had before. The Barcelona Way, was the same as the Athletic Bilbao way, the shirt was more than a representation of a football club, but more one of an area many believe should be its' own autonomous country, Catalunya. The point made was correct, there'd be a major outcry if they'd went from nothing to "Pepsi" just like that. Once the shirt is bastardised well that's it, and they can hide behind the cloak of a good cause in the first step. I can hear your brain ticking over thinking "fuck me is he for real", but it makes sense. Not only that, it gains massive respect from people who are taken in by it right round the world, winning them countless millions of new fans. An absolute superb marketing ploy by the people who make those decisions.

It would be revenue they've never had before. The Barcelona Way, was the same as the Athletic Bilbao way, the shirt was more than a representation of a football club, but more one of an area many believe should be its' own autonomous country, Catalunya. The point made was correct, there'd be a major outcry if they'd went from nothing to "Pepsi" just like that. Once the shirt is bastardised well that's it, and they can hide behind the cloak of a good cause in the first step. I can hear your brain ticking over thinking "fuck me is he for real", but it makes sense. Not only that, it gains massive respect from people who are taken in by it right round the world, winning them countless millions of new fans. An absolute superb marketing ploy by the people who make those decisions.

Yes but the point stands, they could just go directly to Pepsi if they'd wanted to. So what if it annoys fans, what are they going to do, support someone else? They own the club anyway so it's an even less compelling argument in that sense, it's hardly like eg the Glazers coming in and pissing over tradition for an extra £100 million in the back pocket, it's a decision they'll effectively vote on themselves.

Yes but the point stands, they could just go directly to Pepsi if they'd wanted to. So what if it annoys fans, what are they going to do, support someone else? They own the club anyway so it's an even less compelling argument in that sense, it's hardly like eg the Glazers coming in and pissing over tradition for an extra £100 million in the back pocket, it's a decision they'll effectively vote on themselves.

Like I say an absolutely convincing and brilliant marketing ploy by the club. I'm sure raising awareness of all those starving African children and the funding the charity needs, were right at the heart of the decision.

Whatever was at the heart of the decision, they still did it. You can't seriously give them grief and accuse them of greed by letting a charity have free advertising on their shirt? I know you're a closet united fan but howay Stevie

Edited by J69

Like I say an absolutely convincing and brilliant marketing ploy by the club. I'm sure raising awareness of all those starving African children and the funding the charity needs, were right at the heart of the decision.

:lol:

You hate them almost as much as I hate Man U.

i think all y've managed in terms of credit is 'they were very good' and talked how poor the redshite were, barca being arrogant cheats and how unicef is an evil move.

for a bloke who's not backward when coming forward as a 'football man' it's

canny sad how youre either too bitter or stubborn to put out with the jive and in with the love ?

i think all y've managed in terms of credit is 'they were very good' and talked how poor the redshite were, barca being arrogant cheats and how unicef is an evil move.

for a bloke who's not backward when coming forward as a 'football man' it's

canny sad how youre either too bitter or stubborn to put out with the jive and in with the love ?

I've said they're a canny side, what do you want? A pic of me knocking one out over Abidal picking the cup up? Good side, keep the ball well, manager needs a shave, most of the team would be more likeable if they never spoke, and that's it, my view of Barcelona. A club more desperate for love than Liverpool, and who get it more than anyone. Well done Barcelona. Is that better?

I want to punch Rio in the face everytime I see him speak or do this

ferdinand2.jpg

I want to punch you in face every time I see you do this..

Materialism what ye bought

J69 - County Durham - 445pm

Just bought this beauty today, worth £6k, but managed to knock the guy down to £250.

avatar-pinball-machine2-stern-pinball.gif

:lol::D etc.....