Swearing

LeazesMag

In real life. Who does it ?

Now, I swear in real life, not abusively, but about as much as the average guy and maybe a bit more, with friends, in normal conversation with no malice or anything, just "fuck", "twat", "cunt", "bastard" [fairly mild stuff and mostly "fuck"]

But when a woman is around, I shut down completely, and don't swear. At all. If I do, I say sorry, or something.

On here, I notice that catmag swears sometimes, but doesn't like the word "cunt". TR doesn't seem to swear, Bridget has disappeared, soccermom sometimes swears, but I suppose message boards are different, have I ever swore in a direct reply to one of the women ? Maybe, but if I have it hasn't been meant.

Likewise, I don't particularly like women who I hear swearing, which is probably why I feel the way I do myself at swearing in the company of women.

Thoughts ?

Edit.

Maybe this is an "age" thing, because it seems more common among younger people, blokes and women ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Fuck me man most of the women now a days are worse than the blokes!

got the bus into town last night and a couple of girls about 14-ish were swearing their heads off. Cringeworthy.

Yeh I agree with Andy - women these days or certainly around my age bracket swear all the time. It's not so much of a faux pas for one reason or another and for this reason I don't seem to mind swearing in front of them. Obviously I don't go out of my way to swear though! :rolleyes:

Well you're right LM I don't swear very often, either on here or in 'real life' I normally only swear if I'm really incensed about something or if I hurt myself. I hate those people who have to put fuck or fucking in every sentence...all it does it make them sound ignorant and thick. And imo is especially worse to hear from a woman. I don't mean the odd word here, I mean when its used every other word.

My hubby and son swear at times, of course they do and it doesnt bother me at all. But its when you hear it shouted in the street or when its inappropriate like to an elderly person, that it sounds awful.

I don't swear as much in front of lasses like, but the odd one is always ganna slip out, but nowt worse than hearin a lass cunt this and fuck that like. Double standards? Aye, but so.

I'm a serial swearer but never (unless by mistake) use the c word in womens' company.

I do make the effort to tone down a bit as well but not as deliberately as for the above.

The thing is with swearing its about using it in the right place and at the right time.

I swear a fair bit, but never in an aggresive or angry way, just in general sentances. However if i'm in the street, with people I dont know very well, in a professional environment, or with family I dont swear at all.

Swearing is only a problem when people dont understand what context its use is acceptable in.

The thing is with swearing its about using it in the right place and at the right time.

I swear a fair bit, but never in an aggresive or angry way, just in general sentances. However if i'm in the street, with people I dont know very well, in a professional environment, or with family I dont swear at all.

Swearing is only a problem when people dont understand what context its use is acceptable in.

Exactly right! In the appropriate context swearing is much more acceptable!

I'm with Cath as in I hate the C word too :D

LM's post made me realise how few females they are on here, I wonder why that is?

Because women are all Cun.... just kidding :rolleyes:

B*$"^*! :D

I'm old fashioned.

I dont swear a lot myself these days, but when apt I do. The level of swearing I do increases when Im with mates. Oddly, I've also been told that my accent is much stronger when Im with mates or when I get pissed. Thats largely as I always had to tone down my accent in work, lessen "slang" etc as well.

I'll not swear in front of a woman though. Whether they swear a lot doesnt matter. I don't like hearing a lass swear too much but again when apt you would struggle to find a good replacement for the word "FUCK!". I seldom use the word Cunt at all. I'll also have a word if I'm in a public place and someone is swearing heavily when I'm with my kids.

It's a matter of respect imo. but I agree with Andy in that Swearing is only a problem when people dont understand what context its use is acceptable in.

I guess it's how I was brought up. I still have a massive issue with a lass buying me a drink. Doesnt feel right. I'll never let a lass pay for a meal or drink though the modern lass might be insulted by that. Sorry women, I'm taken :rolleyes:

I'm pretty bad tbh. Mostly infront of mrs hips I talk like I do when I'm away - which I find I'm often using the f word. I don't hold back if I'm talking with my daughter and the need to use a swear word arises. I don't usually swear in front of other women so swearing infront of my wife and daughter is uncalled for. Terrible really and I really should try to cut it out. Lazy.

I like subscribe to the Francis Begbie manner of swearing. He like me has a limited vocabulary, so we use swear words to emphasise points. Anyone who takes offence to bad language is a doilum tbh, well any bloke.

I like subscribe to the Francis Begbie manner of swearing. He like me has a limited vocabulary, so we use swear words to emphasise points. Anyone who takes offence to bad language is a doilum tbh, well any bloke.

Disagree with that like. If I'm with mates I couldnt give a fuck how someone spoke. But if I was with my lass or kids I could take offence. Equally professionally, if someone came to see my and swore loads I'd not be interested in whatever he was selling or saying.

Disagree with that like. If I'm with mates I couldnt give a fuck how someone spoke. But if I was with my lass or kids I could take offence. Equally professionally, if someone came to see my and swore loads I'd not be interested in whatever he was selling or saying.

Never seen a blinds salesman say "ye want some fuckin blinds like?" Obviously if you're with your lass or kids or your parents, you don't want people effing and jeffing, I mean two blokes having a chat.

Guest alex

Agreed. It's all about the context, as others have said. At the same time, if you take a kid into an environment where people are free to swear with impunity (imo) like the match or the pub then you're out of order complaining about it then. I would try and curb it if kids were there in that situation but that's just me, i.e. people shouldn't have to.

Agreed. It's all about the context, as others have said. At the same time, if you take a kid into an environment where people are free to swear with impunity (imo) like the match or the pub then you're out of order complaining about it then. I would try and curb it if kids were there in that situation but that's just me, i.e. people shouldn't have to.

Aye agree. If I took my kids to the match, I'd never complain about swearing. It's the enviroment as you say.

I'm old fashioned.

I dont swear a lot myself these days, but when apt I do. The level of swearing I do increases when Im with mates. Oddly, I've also been told that my accent is much stronger when Im with mates or when I get pissed. Thats largely as I always had to tone down my accent in work, lessen "slang" etc as well.

I'll not swear in front of a woman though. Whether they swear a lot doesnt matter. I don't like hearing a lass swear too much but again when apt you would struggle to find a good replacement for the word "FUCK!". I seldom use the word Cunt at all. I'll also have a word if I'm in a public place and someone is swearing heavily when I'm with my kids.

It's a matter of respect imo. but I agree with Andy in that Swearing is only a problem when people dont understand what context its use is acceptable in.

I guess it's how I was brought up. I still have a massive issue with a lass buying me a drink. Doesnt feel right. I'll never let a lass pay for a meal or drink though the modern lass might be insulted by that. Sorry women, I'm taken :rolleyes:

Haha thats the same for me too... I'm not even a geordie but apparently after a few beers and watching footy I become very much broad geordie lol!

The rest of the time i'm well spoken County Durham with an occasional Yorkshire twang.

I remember going to work with my dad when I was 17, went on site down in London and from the moment he stepped onto site until the point we left it every other word he uttered was fuck, c***, twat or wanker. Totally surprised me as Id never heard him say anything like that before.

he had the logic that "industrial language" was for the workplace and still does.

Mind his inherent racism is a different matter altogether. :rolleyes: