The Andy Carroll Con

OTF

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

Although, in England, the transfer window formally opens on 1 July, transfers between clubs in the same association can take place as soon as the last competitive fixtures for the season have been played. However, many transfers will not be completed until 1 July because many players' contracts expire on 30 June

Give it a bit more time ffs.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wages man!!!

I don't buy that. Our squad is no bigger than last season and we're shod of Campell and Nolan's hefty wages in addition to

Carroll's. The total for the three new players may exceed that, but only marginally if it was the case.

you can't say that man, you'll spoil the summer for CT, Deano, jaysouthernmag and Toonpack, all wanking away there in expectation of aiming for the dizzy heights of 10th place, as stated by Dekka

:)

Wages man!!!

I don't buy that. Our squad is no bigger than last season and we're shod of Campell and Nolan's hefty wages in addition to

Carroll's. The total for the three new players may exceed that, but only marginally if it was the case.

you can't say that man, you'll spoil the summer for CT, Deano, jaysouthernmag and Toonpack, all wanking away there in expectation of aiming for the dizzy heights of 10th place, as stated by Dekka

Wont spoil it for me wanker, I will look at what we have when the season starts and judge then

Wages man!!!

Wont spoil it for me wanker, I will look at what we have when the season starts and judge then

Plus 1 :)

Wages man!!!

look at it when the season ends , shitforbrains

Wages man!!!

No, I will judge our chances when we know what our squad looks like.

Here's one for you if BA outscores Carroll this season is that good business??

Wages man!!!

No, I will judge our chances when we know what our squad looks like.

Here's one for you if BA outscores Carroll this season is that good business??

don't be fuckin stupid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window

Although, in England, the transfer window formally opens on 1 July, transfers between clubs in the same association can take place as soon as the last competitive fixtures for the season have been played. However, many transfers will not be completed until 1 July because many players' contracts expire on 30 June

Give it a bit more time ffs.

Just going off Pardews comments wasn't he?

if the window closed tomorrow or Christmas, perhaps bringing in 1 more body would be a let down.

If it was Daniel Sturridge would you be reasonably happy?

if absolutely no one else left then I would be fairly happy.

Me too, to be honest. Sturridge in, Enrique and Barton still here and (unrelistic) signed to new deals.

I think I could bear to lose Alan Smith :huh:

How long is his contract ffs!! ;)

How long is his contract ffs!! ;)

Last year now

Why are people on here wasting their time talking about Sturridge? We're as likely to get Messi. If Chelsea let him go - and I don't think they will tbh - there is absolutely no chance of him signing for us. If he moves it will be for a big fee, a big wage, and to a club with demonstrated ambition and probably CL football. That's 0 from 4 for us, as I see it...

While I rate Sturridge I don't see how a 6 month loan spell at Bolton suddenly justifies a top 4 move, big wages etc. Let's face it he wouldn't get in Chelsea, Man Utd or Man City's teams. Arsenal maybe. If he wants to make a move he'd be better off at someone like NUFC but i don't think there'll be many takers at £10m+. does anyone know his games/goal record before Bolton, iirc he hardly ever plays!

It's frustrating if we're not interested, but I think 10M is out of the scope of Ashley's intended spend on incoming players. It would limit the ability to on-sell for a profit down the track. Looking at the price of Wickham, Carroll and Henderson 10M for Sturridge in comparison seems like good value. He's a skillful player and we have noone like him on our books so it makes sense on all fronts. Maybe Chelsea don't want to do business with us if the rumors are true that we set the price for Torres through the Carroll sale (+15M)?

Well there you go. I'm stretching a lot but it would make me feel better that we're not in for Sturridge if Chelsea don't want to do business with us.

Why are people on here wasting their time talking about Sturridge? We're as likely to get Messi. If Chelsea let him go - and I don't think they will tbh - there is absolutely no chance of him signing for us. If he moves it will be for a big fee, a big wage, and to a club with demonstrated ambition and probably CL football. That's 0 from 4 for us, as I see it...

yes, but some people insist we are doing it "right". And the teams that are playing in europe and signing the best footballers are all unnecessarily spending money.

:huh:

Why are Bolton still linked to him then?

Why are Bolton still linked to him then?

"linked"

Luke Edwards first article for the Telegraph including the most recent comments from Llambias

When Carroll was sold, the only method of appeasement towards fans furious at the sale of their local hero was to promise the money would be used to sign better players. It was the pledge that made the unpalatable that little bit easier to swallow.

“The one thing I said to Mike [Ashley, the club’s owner] was, ‘Look, if this boy is going to go, this money has to be reinvested in the team, all of it’, said Pardew in February. “And he has assured me of that.

“For the Newcastle fan, that is the most important message I can give, that all that money will be used.”

As much as it hurt to lose the young centre forward, most agreed the deal was too good to turn down, a necessary setback for the greater good.

Carroll had played only six months of Premier League football, yet Liverpool were willing to make him the most expensive British player in history. Pardew’s begrudging acceptance stance made sense.

As results remained solid and Newcastle moved towards top-flight safety last season, the wound left by Carroll’s departure began to heal, but only to a point – and it is starting to bleed again.

Newcastle have done reasonably well in a stagnant market, beating off competition to sign Demba Ba from West Ham, snatching winger Sylvain Marveaux away from Liverpool when he left Rennes, while also bringing in France international Yohan Cabaye from Lille for £4.5 million and teenager Mehdi Abeid from Lens.

Good recruits, but only one of them commanded a fee, while the sale of Kevin Nolan to West Ham for £4 million last month means the headline net spend figure is just £500,000.

Newcastle have bid £7 million for Paris St-Germain striker Mevlut Erdinc and £1 million for Swansea defender Neil Taylor, but that may well be the end of their summer recruitment, even though Pardew would still like another attacking player on board.

Instead of transfer fees, Newcastle are using the money to finance a range of projects, from the installation of undersoil heating at the training ground, to new contracts for other players such as Cheick Tioté and the one offered to, but as yet unsigned, by José Enrique.

They did offer £10 million to Lorient for Kévin Gameiro before he joined PSG, but there has been a subtle shift in the message and some supporters believe the money is not being used as it should be.

Instead of big transfer fees, Newcastle have signed the best free agents available in Ba and Marveaux. Although described as free transfers, the club are keen to stress they are anything but.

It is thought as much as £2 million was paid to agents to land Ba, with a similar sum paid up front to the Senegal international. The same applied to Marveaux.

Newcastle’s managing director, Derek Llambias, told Telegraph Sport: “I can assure everyone that not a single penny of the £35 million has left the club and neither will it. It is all going back in.

“We have acted early and we have got the players we wanted, but none of them have been cheap. We have paid good prices for them. They certainly weren’t free transfers, there are fees and wages to consider.

“It is our responsibility to make sure we look after the club responsibly. If we spent all the money on players this summer, what are we going to do in January if we need to bring somebody else in? We are using the money sensibly.”

Llambias’s stance has been supported by Pardew, who will hope the £7 million offer for Erdinc is accepted on Wednesday.

“When you sign someone like Demba Ba and Marveaux there are huge fees in there,” he added. “Lots of money in those deals doesn’t come back into the system. It goes out through agents.

"We have spent a fair amount on those players, more than fans realise. If you add up the money and think we have not spent the 35 million you will be way off. I have to mark the cards of the fans on that one.

“We have transformed the training ground. Mike and Derek’s backing has been excellent. And the noises on the last two [signings] are also positive.”

Perhaps the most controversial part of Newcastle’s use of the £35 million is that it is being used to pay the wages of new players, even though the likes of Nolan and Carroll have been removed from the payroll.

Pardew also does not dwell on the fact much was made last season of Ashley paying for the training ground improvements out of his own pocket.

An editorial in the latest edition of the Newcastle fanzine, True Faith, illustrates the concern of long-suffering supporters.

“When Alan Pardew said last week Hatem Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling would be like ‘new signings’ many of us rushed to the conclusion that was it, there would be little further investment in the squad.

“Many of us are now growing more convinced the Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan money won’t be spent as we had been led to believe it would be, by Alan Pardew in particular.

“There is a slow, grumble of disquiet building amongst Mags currently about where the club is going this close season with its investment in the squad.”

Pardew has done a good job in difficult circumstances since taking over from the well-liked Chris Hughton, yet he is still tarnished by the Carroll affair and the fallout from it.

Supporters are clinging to the hope Charles N’Zogbia will arrive from Wigan before the window shuts, although it is difficult to see Newcastle stretching to a £9 million fee and wage demands of £60,000-a-week.

Newcastle’s recruitment drive is expected to end once they have signed a centre-forward. Less than £10 million spent on fees, but a huge chunk of the £35 million has gone.

They are sums some will simply refuse to accept, no matter the explanation.