The Andy Carroll Con

OTF

Guest alex
If we spent all the money on players this summer, what are we going to do in January if we need to bring somebody else in?

:( Too predictable.

Depressingly so.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we spent all the money on players this summer, what are we going to do in January if we need to bring somebody else in?

:( Too predictable.

Was there a quote about how 'savior' Mike has pumped in much more of his own cash in to the club as well and how we're planning for the future? Shucks, I sure didn't expect them to use the '£35m has gone towards other fees and wages' too ;)

:lol: Too predictable.

Idiotic isn't it? Ideally if you buy well in the summer when there are many more players available as clubs can more readily organise replacements, you'll not find yourself in that predicament in January.

Of course if you're Newcastle United currently you also have to make allowances for the better peforming players who are sold in January. The transfer fees from those players can then in turn be used to purchase a new deep fryer for the canteen and to re-carpet the offices.

"They certainly weren’t free transfers, there are fees and wages to consider."

As opposed to all those other players out there who don't get paid a wage. :rolleyes:

Idiotic isn't it? Ideally if you buy well in the summer when there are many more players available as clubs can more readily organise replacements, you'll not find yourself in that predicament in January.

Of course if you're Newcastle United currently you also have to make allowances for the better peforming players who are sold in January. The transfer fees from those players can then in turn be used to purchase a new deep fryer for the canteen and to re-carpet the offices.

"They certainly weren’t free transfers, there are fees and wages to consider."

As opposed to all those other players out there who don't get paid a wage. :rolleyes:

Problem is they know there's a whole bunch of fucking deacons who'll lap this up, wages my arse - so if this £35m is going on wages, etc, what the fuck are they doing with the rest of the club's revenues?... or, heaven forbid, are they suggesting that every time the pot gets low we'll have to sell players to make up the deficit to pay the players? (yes, that was sarcasm).

What really sticks in my craw is being treated like an idiot. Del-boy and Pardew the puppet spout this stream of bilge which we are apparently expected to swallow without question. Do me a favour. I may be just a mug punter fan but I'm not an imbecile. If Ashley/Del-boy/Puppet have a strategy in place which revolves around reducing costs and making money at the expense of on-field performance (clearly the case) I'd rather be given it straight than the double-talk bullshit we are getting. Pardew the the puppet, the sycophant, the slimy spin doctor, is now my most despised toon manager, no mean feat in that rogues gallery..

Guest alex
What really sticks in my craw is being treated like an idiot. Del-boy and Pardew the puppet spout this stream of bilge which we are apparently expected to swallow without question. Do me a favour. I may be just a mug punter fan but I'm not an imbecile. If Ashley/Del-boy/Puppet have a strategy in place which revolves around reducing costs and making money at the expense of on-field performance (clearly the case) I'd rather be given it straight than the double-talk bullshit we are getting. Pardew the the puppet, the sycophant, the slimy spin doctor, is now my most despised toon manager, no mean feat in that rogues gallery..

Aye, totally agree. I've mentioned before I'd settle for a bit of honesty if nowt else. It would probably make it easier for themselves in the long run too. Of course, it assumes they have a strategy.

No doubt that they'll reduce fans hopes again like they did since last January and say that there is money left for January to buy players, then for to fund players and the wages, then to say we never got anyone in because the January transfer window is notoriously known to drive people transfer fee's up

Tbh if we spend the money reasonably well this summer we shouldnt need to buy anyone in January instead of risking our squad up until then, and then having to panic buy in January when we're in trouble

Aye, totally agree. I've mentioned before I'd settle for a bit of honesty if nowt else. It would probably make it easier for themselves in the long run too. Of course, it assumes they have a strategy.

Think it's a minimum spend strategy.

The negs are out in force today :rolleyes: Lets just bare in mind, 4 players already in and 60 days to go. :lol:

did you not read or listen to the interviews from the chairman and manager?

Okay Ant, I've had a drink so un ignored you to read this post.......... Yes I did hear / read the interviews and dont really think there was much said that hasnt already been said.

All of the £35 million will be re-invested in the club.....

Fees and wages........all old news.......

Whoever on here is keeping a running total, have they put Ba down as nil spend or have they included the pay off to player and agent. Unexciting I agree but still a fact of life in this murky world.

I definitely think it is engrained in our Management to lower expectations given our well known gluttony for the "Trophy signing" over the years.

Im not sure where we are at today regarding spend (as I cant remember the thread), but we are also in for Erdinc and strong rumours about being in for N'zogbia as well as Taylor. It all adds up.

As many others have said, Im much more interested in the team that starts against Arsenal than the money involved. If we have added well to the first team without too many losses then I will give them the benefit in this transitional close season.

Tbh , even I am getting bored with all these will they wont they threads and just wish the first game was here.

Hopefully next Fridays game at Darlo will give us glimpses of what is to come.

Looking forward to it.

If a free transfer is so expensive, sounds like we'd be better off paying a transfer fee.

Didn't it work out that way in the end with Jonas?

Compensation for Jonas was under 2.5M, very good business for a player who, despite his naysayers, has been virtually an ever present in the side.

Players receiver sign-on bonuses regardless of whether they move on free transfers, though I guess in the case of higher profile frees they would be higher. If they're going to include those then they would have to subtract loyalty bonuses that Carroll and Nolan would have forfeited as a result of not completing their contracts.

Howay man, in this instance you can not expect them to be honest. Nothing would reignite the protests/empty SJP faster than 'we're just here for the money'

The end of the window will reveal the truth, but I would have thought playing the paupers card rather than the rich boys would be the right strategy in a window where every club thinks we have 35 million sitting gathering interest.

The end of the window will reveal the truth, but I would have thought playing the paupers card rather than the rich boys would be the right strategy in a window where every club thinks we have 35 million sitting gathering interest.

I think that's clutching at straws myself. I don't think we will spend more than 5 mill on a player and there's only 2 more to come maximum so we are paupers to all intents and purposes. Be delighted to be proved wrong :lol:

Edited by Kitman

Guest alex

Slight flaw in that plan could be other clubs not believing what NUFC says in public.

Thing is, some papers are reporting DL said all the money would go back on players. Thats not what he said, just that none of the money would leave the club. Two very different statements.

I agree we need to be careful at a time of fucking mental transfer fees that we dont pay over the odds. I'd also agree its better to shop around and get a good deal. Also agree it may be better to keep a little back in case we need a player in january. But come on, how thick do they take us for? they seem to constantly come out with stuff and think we wont remember. Im not counting pennies and expecting to see all of the £35M spent. But if it includes wages then surely we have to add wages back on when players leave? Does that not mean the wages for Ba et al are cancelled out by the wages from Sol, Nolan, Carroll etc? Fair enough its a few ££ on signing on fees etc, but not £20M worth or whatever.

Disagree with them using the £35M to pay for the training round (no idea what that costs).

Id still be happy (well, content) if we just signed a decent forward and kept Jose.

Guest alex

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's just improvements to the current training ground rather than a new facility being built so I'd be surprised if the costs were that high in relation to the £35m. Also, if they're going to include that it would be nice to know how much they've spent and what the improvements actually are. Perhaps they have and I've missed it.