News of the World

ChezGiven

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank fuck for Euro sceptics that we are not caught up directly in this fucking mess. A second bailout of some 100 billion that will never be re-paid and simply pushes the problem down the road for some future generation to solve.

The greeks still wont pay their taxes and the government will still waste stupid money on silly things. I mean why does greece need a fucking 400,000 strong army!

Madness.

The only good thing about all of this is that it hammers home to the waverers that the actions being taken in this country are vital not only for now, but more importantly for leaving the country in some sort of competitive state for our kids.

Have a think about it. Or look it up.

:D All the clubbers?

I actually thought your question was a wind-up since I thought even you must have some awareness of the tensions between them and the Turks. I would normally say stick to subjects you know about but in your case... :lol:

You've lost me im afraid? :D

Are you saying that because of previous tensions with Turkey, (which lets be fair, havent resulted in any use of the Greek army in decades) Greece should continue to have a 400,000 strong army that it cant afford to pay?

I wonder where that will end up heading?

Maybe we should stop reducing ours and build it up again in case the Vikings come back. :D

I'm the last person who would try and justify any nations having massive armies. I was simply telling you why they had such a large army. The tensions are ongoing though. You'd have to be incredibly ignorant about the feelings in either country to argue they aren't.

Having once needed a large army has no bearing on what they can afford.

Under the last bail out, WE are paying the wages of their army while reducing our own that we cant afford!!!!!!!

As for current tensions, they recently joined together to try and host the 2008 football championships ffs :D

Im not claiming they are best mates, but a 400,000 man army that they cant afford is ridiculous.

I don't personally support their large army (or anyone else's) on principle, I'm just enough of a realist to know why they've got one and why they feel the need to have one. I think the latest Greek bailout package is a bit of a joke fwiw but don't try and pretend you now know something about a situation you hadn't even heard of half an hour ago.

Edited by alex

Btw, I think it's fair to argue the large armies on both sides have acted as a deterrent to full-scale war between the two countries.

I don't personally support their large army (or anyone else's) on principle, I'm just enough of a realist to know why they've got one and why they feel the need to have one. I think the latest Greek bailout package is a bit of a joke fwiw but don't try and pretend you now know something about a situation you hadn't even heard of half an hour ago.

There's a really good case for vastly reducing the UK's armed forces (especially post-Afghanistan) but if you suggest it you'd be slaughtered - a reaction you'd get in all countries sadly.

There's a really good case for vastly reducing the UK's armed forces (especially post-Afghanistan) but if you suggest it you'd be slaughtered - a reaction you'd get in all countries sadly.

We have though over the last 20 years or so. (Dont know figures)

Please, enlighten me. I am all ears to why a bankrupt country in the midst of horrific cuts, should borrow money to pay a 400,000 strong army that it no longer needs?

Because they think they still need it? I assume youre in favor of scrapping trident as Britain can't afford it?

We have though over the last 20 years or so. (Dont know figures)

Our army size is currently 100,000 and I reckon we could take Greece. :lol:

Tell me Christmas Tree - regardless of tensions - how does one disband such an army?

It's not done overnight.

I stopped reading there. :lol:

You normally do when you can't answer a question.

Stop trying to hard.

Please, enlighten me. I am all ears to why a bankrupt country in the midst of horrific cuts, should borrow money to pay a 400,000 strong army that it no longer needs?

Because they think they still need it? I assume youre in favor of scrapping trident as Britain can't afford it?

Yes.

I dont think we need Trident nuclear carrying submarines, no.

We have enough land based nuclear missiles to put off invaders.

(I think both Labour and Conservatives agree btw which is why the decision keeps getting fudged along from one government to the next).

Tell me Christmas Tree - regardless of tensions - how does one disband such an army?

It's not done overnight.

I stopped reading there. :lol:

You normally do when you can't answer a question.

Stop trying to hard.

Tut tut.

Not only do we spend a lot more than Greece but we spend almost as much as a %-age of GDP on defence. People in glass houses and all that.

Yes.

I dont think we need Trident nuclear carrying submarines, no.

We have enough land based nuclear missiles to put off invaders.

(I think both Labour and Conservatives agree btw which is why the decision keeps getting fudged along from one government to the next).

You reckon that invasion is high on our list of national security threats? :lol:

Its quite astonishing when you see what Greece is having to cut to get the last lot of money.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13940431

That will absolutely destroy any chance of growth and will therefore result in bankrupcy and further bailouts.

Basically what I was saying at the start. Countries and banks need to go pop as Iceland did before they can start again. All anyone is doing is putting this inevitable scenario off til a later date.

Its quite bizarre when you think that one home game attendance under Shepherd at St James park equates to half the size of our army.

Tidied.