Words/phrases you don't like

Monroe Transfer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"He's got the hump" - a southern phrase for southern people so why are people here starting to use it.

Werruld - the way scots say world, how hard is it to say fuckin world.

Not licking Meenzers arse, (obviously) :D but I can't stand the word 'faggot' either. It's from the US in its derogatory form and sounds even worse when someone British says it. Its not big and its not clever.

Not licking Meenzers arse, (obviously) :D but I can't stand the word 'faggot' either. It's from the US in its derogatory form and sounds even worse when someone British says it. Its not big and its not clever.

Aye. Fags as well they use for tabs. I don't like word chav, I don't care how many documentaries are done on the word chav is derived from the geordie "charva" absolute fact. Chav's bad enough as a word, but worse when geordies use it, when we have a perfectly good word ourselves.

Aye. Fags as well they use for tabs. I don't like word chav, I don't care how many documentaries are done on the word chav is derived from the geordie "charva" absolute fact. Chav's bad enough as a word, but worse when geordies use it, when we have a perfectly good word ourselves.

When the word 'Chav' was first used by the papers/all and sundry throughout the country there was a certain smugness as they'd recognised a certain type and gave them a new name, completely oblivious to the fact the word was around in its true form for at least 20 years up here. Any Geordie using the word has no sense of pride in their own language. Chav has 100% been taken from the word charva.

Edited by Howmanheyman

When the word 'Chav' was first used by the papers/all and sundry throughout the country there was a certain smugness as they'd recognised a certain type and gave them a new name, completely oblivious to the fact the word was around in its true form for at least 20 years up here. Any Geordie using the word has no sense of pride in their own language. Chav has 100% been taken from the word charva.

I saw a documentary that tried to suggest gypsies have been saying it for years, total fuckin bollocks. The origins of charva were about when I started high school - the doilum, charva, meff generation of 87-95 I'd guess. The early use of charva wasn't necessarily about charvas as we know them now, more like about people older than you "the big fuckin charva telt wu off", that was how charva was used in its' infancy.

Chavvie is a romany word for young man...mostly used in the south of England. As with a lot of gypsy words (gadgie is its northern equivalent) it has become commonplace in everyday language.

Theres a Sham 69 song in which Jimmy Pursey utters "alright chavvie?!" in the intro....it may well be "we're going down the pub" but the audio on my laptop is fucked so I cant check it out but you can claerly hear it ...song written in the late 70s :D

Charva was around for years before the 'Charvas' started using it and its how they got their name. About the time of 1991 you had the Meadowell riots plus bother in the West End and there was a growing trend of people/media talking about 'gangsters' and certain teenagers went fucking mad for it and thought they we well in with hard men they might have once passed in the street. I left school in 1990, a year later met a kid I went to school with, he was from Byker. Anyway, he was talking pure Charva with his mouth contorted on one side of his face, I said, "hoo, Stanna! What the fuck you talking like that for? You had a stroke or something?" as at school he spoke like any other normal kid, to be fair to him he did look a bit embarrassed and started talking 'propa'. :D

BurnsieBen Ben

If football gets cancelled this weekend cos of some fucking hooded twats then im gunna be seriously pissed.......#nufc

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Now don't get me wrong anyone who has twitter will tell you this kid is a fucking idiot, he is as well, but this phrase oh dear. I'm gonna be seriously pissed too, cos am turning out at 1230, but the yank way this has come in to your younger persons crack oh dear. Pissed off aye. Seriously pissed? Nah pipe down son.

Do the charvs still use 'ladgeful' btw?

Never noticed it as much to be honest. Using ladgeful, pronounced lajfill by some, confirmed your status as a Category C charva.

Also, I remember the lass who used to live next to us. She once said to my sister "Here man, am ill". So my sister asked her what was wrong so she answered "Nor man, am ill". To this day neither me or me sis have a fucking clue what this lass was on about.

Meff is another word we were using 20 years ago, it's the main scouse word now, they catch on 20 years later.

Why do you feel the need to continually make things up, lie or just adjust the facts to suit your own agenda?

I must be about 15 years older than you and meff was around when I was a kid to describe meths drinkers. Why anyone would want to take pride of origin in some silly word is beyond me.

I imagine all cities have their own words, phrases etc.. completely unique to that city, some travel well, some don't. There are many Scouse words that I see repeated on tele from people in other areas, sometimes it sounds a bit odd but there you go, it's the way of things.

Innit and thang, horrible words.

Final result - even used by the BBC. A result is final ffs.

Edited by Pacinofan

Meff is another word we were using 20 years ago, it's the main scouse word now, they catch on 20 years later.

Why do you feel the need to continually make things up, lie or just adjust the facts to suit your own agenda?

I must be about 15 years older than you and meff was around when I was a kid to describe meths drinkers. Why anyone would want to take pride of origin in some silly word is beyond me.

I imagine all cities have their own words, phrases etc.. completely unique to that city, some travel well, some don't. There are many Scouse words that I see repeated on tele from people in other areas, sometimes it sounds a bit odd but there you go, it's the way of things.

You're such a mug, meff has nothing to do with meths drinkers you absolute tool. Unbelievable.

What you on about final result, have you never heard Ray Winston "the arf taa-aam resawwwt"

You're such a mug, meff has nothing to do with meths drinkers you absolute tool. Unbelievable.

What you on about final result, have you never heard Ray Winston "the arf taa-aam resawwwt"

I told you the original meaning of the Scouse word meff, now you can toss that round any way you like, it evolved in to a general word of abuse. There's only one mug round here, the unfortunate thing is you don't recognise yourself as it.

It should be half time score and I have ne desire or need to listen to Ray Winston say anything.

Also, I remember the lass who used to live next to us. She once said to my sister "Here man, am ill". So my sister asked her what was wrong so she answered "Nor man, am ill". To this day neither me or me sis have a fucking clue what this lass was on about.

Maybe her mate Norman was unwell.... :icon_lol:

Edited by Neville Neville Neville