Comparison to last season - we were bottom after these games!

peasepud

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Supports what most of us were saying in the other thread. Similar games previously we'd have dropped points. Be interesting to compare when we have played a greater mix of quality.

Supports what most of us were saying in the other thread. Similar games previously we'd have dropped points. Be interesting to compare when we have played a greater mix of quality.

By the end of the three games against the top 3 ending with Chelsea i think we'll have a good idea of where we actually stand and where we can aim for this season (without knowing what awaits us come the transfer window obviously!) from there.

The problem is Pardew talking up how good the squad is, because in midfield, out wide and strangely at the moment up front are looking ok but an injury to Colo and Saylor would suddenly show the black hole in the squad when Williamson and Perch take to the field to keep out the premierships best attackers. I don't think Williamson himself is that bad and alongside Colo he'll be fine, him and Taylor i'd worry, but Perch and anyone will have us in the shit.

So whilst everyone is waiting for us to get a striker in Jan its just as important we sign a centreback and shift Perch out and hopefully Pardew will give Kadar a chance, there is no way he should be below Perch in the queue to play defence.

I think we'll do quite well as it happens, and as long as the fuckwitts in charge don't sell Colo and/or Tiote in January we can have a good season with a bit of luck injurywise in key areas, but we need another centreback in.

By the end of the three games against the top 3 ending with Chelsea i think we'll have a good idea of where we actually stand and where we can aim for this season (without knowing what awaits us come the transfer window obviously!) from there.

The problem is Pardew talking up how good the squad is, because in midfield, out wide and strangely at the moment up front are looking ok but an injury to Colo and Saylor would suddenly show the black hole in the squad when Williamson and Perch take to the field to keep out the premierships best attackers. I don't think Williamson himself is that bad and alongside Colo he'll be fine, him and Taylor i'd worry, but Perch and anyone will have us in the shit.

So whilst everyone is waiting for us to get a striker in Jan its just as important we sign a centreback and shift Perch out and hopefully Pardew will give Kadar a chance, there is no way he should be below Perch in the queue to play defence.

I think we'll do quite well as it happens, and as long as the fuckwitts in charge don't sell Colo and/or Tiote in January we can have a good season with a bit of luck injurywise in key areas, but we need another centreback in.

I'd be happy for us to sign a left-back, put Santon on the right and shift Simpson out.

I'd be happy for us to sign a left-back, put Santon on the right and shift Simpson out.

I'd agree, definitely want a fullback in as well, forgot to say! If Santon turns out well we still need another quality fullback like you say, get a LB and play Santon RB and if the LB gets injured, play Santon there and bring Simpson back in.

It's every two year it comes round but it does feel as though it's on all the time like

It's just Tiote's suspensions that make it feel like he's away on international duty for a stretch every year :D

Difference is in defence, we've scored the same number of goals (9) but have conceded 5 less

And this is why we'll not collapse like Blackpool or Hull. We're not finishing 4th, but neither are we getting relegated.

Difference is in defence, we've scored the same number of goals (9) but have conceded 5 less

And this is why we'll not collapse like Blackpool or Hull. We're not finishing 4th, but neither are we getting relegated.

Assuming nothing changes, Id be less confident if Colo was out through injury or sold.

Assuming nothing changes, Id be less confident if Colo was out through injury or sold.

True, but we may also sign a new defender/striker in January. Pardew is already talking about it.

Not saying we will, I'm just assured that, as things stand, we're in a very strong position. Stronger than I thought.

I think we will sign a forward in Jan but not a defender. I think Williamson will be back plus if Santon takes over LB we'll also have Raylor for cover.

Neither great I know, but you see the idea.

• 2 weeks later...