Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

If he'd laid the ball off to Simpson instead of his dragged shot, it would have been a prime opportunity to whip a ball across the box as Best and Ba had made runs. Makes the wrong decision in possession every time.

Despite a better second half, that incident was the clearest example of his poor decision making.

Got to give him a chance to settle in a bit more though, still too early to write him off.

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he is shite. And more importantly he looks fucking lazy and gutless. Marveaux should come in on the left with Jonas on the right for the Wigan game. We are carrying a passenger at the minute.

I've been as vocal as anyone in my opinion the Best isn't good enough and I stand by what I've said (I applauded him a couple of times today but I still thought he was generally poor. But that's another discussion) but at least he puts a shift in and we don't have to carry him. I fear squidward has something in his contract that he had to play and there's probably three or four players who should start ahead of him.

I think the two best main options in replacing Obertan are not without their own problems hence why Pardew seems keen to keep Obertan in the team.

Option one: Move Jonas to the right and play Marveaux on the left. Marveaux doesn't work as hard defensively as Jonas and could leave Raylor exposed. Replacing Raylor with Santon would solve this but playing Santon against direct PL wingers without good defensive support could be risky at least until Santon adjusts to the league. Plus Raylor's set piece delivery is of some value.

Option two: Move Ba out to the right and play Ben Arfa behind Best as the lone striker. Ba seems to defend well and works hard enough to play down the right. However, he is too valuable as a outright forward to waste deeper in the pitch where he'll have to work harder defensively, and perhaps not be readily available in attack as often, with Pardew replacing him after 70 min each game it suggests he worries about his stamina already. Also Best's ability to play as a lone striker is questionable. He links well with Ba because Ba finds space well if Best were up top alone with Ben Arfa sitting deeper Best could become isolated and leave us without an option to build possession high up the pitch.

The other option of playing Jonas right and Ben Arfa left are similar but worse than the Marveaux option for defensive reasons. The option of playing Ben Arfa right and leaving Ba and Best up top creates a problem for Simpson.

The option of playing Ben Arfa behind Ba, switching Jonas and playing Marveaux on the left with Ben Arfa for support defensively means dropping Best unfairly coupled with having two players on the pitch that don't track back all that well in Marveaux and Ben Arfa.

I think the safest option defensively and the one that offers the most natural shape for a 442 is the option Pardew is going with at the moment. And its working. So why risk disrupting the balance by changing things?

He looks like a first year who's been allowed to make up the numbers with the fifth years, walks around in a daze.

If the ball isn't passed to heis feet he stands there looking at it wondering if he should go for it. If there's a fifty-fifty in the air or on the ground, he turns it into a hundred-zero, just stands off the opponent lets him take control and tries to cover the angles.

I can't use the chalkboards on the guardian anymore but the comparison of his tackles, free-kicks won, passes attempted and completed must make poor reading compared with Guti....and I've never thought he was good enough (having his best season yet for us at the moment though).

Yes he's crap - for our purposes at least. Reminds me a bit of Martins in that he seems to be more of an athlete than a footballer. Apparant lack of any footballing brain, limited team work ethic. Bench him.

Our right side is comfortably the weakest part of the side like. I know Ryan Taylor has Gutierrez tracking back and helping him which can hide some of his flaws (though I thought he was actually solid yesterday), Simpson needs Obertan to do the same. Obertan looks to be too lazy/stupid to do it and Simpson is shit enough as it is. If we get a LB in January, I'd put Santon at RB and fuck knas at RM. Can Marveaux play there?

Remember people wanking themselves silly over him after his first few appearances for Bordeaux. Weird he's now at Newcastle.

A move to a club like us was exactly what he needed this Summer. Not too impressed so far. He was really sterile yesterday as the team tried to push on he faded more and more. Surely shouldn't start the next game.

I'm amazed at the amount of criticism Obertan is getting. He's got a lot of pace which has really helped give us momentum going forward this season and unsettle the opposition defence. He's also been our main outlet on the counter. As much as I don't think he's shown he's a top quality player this season, he's been an important part of the team. That said, i don't really feel that Marveaux couldn't come in and provide a similar role if given the opportunity. Question is, why would Pardew want to disrupt a winning formula? Can see Ben Arfa maybe coming against Wigan, do you think he could play in an inside forward kind of role on the right?

Reckon he could be effective as an impact player against fading defenses...I'd drop him, shift Jonas and raylor to the right and have santon and marveaux on the left. I think having raylor on the right would be better for the team as he's more naturally a right mid, and his crosses bending in towards the strikers will be much easier to attack.

Reckon he could be effective as an impact player against fading defenses...I'd drop him, shift Jonas and raylor to the right and have santon and marveaux on the left. I think having raylor on the right would be better for the team as he's more naturally a right mid, and his crosses bending in towards the strikers will be much easier to attack.

Might be worth a try actually. Wilson's little chips to nobody and Obi's strange crossed directed at opp players arses is getting a bit tiresome. :)

He's a shit footballer tbh. That's his problem. The ball's like a hot potato to him. He's not very good defensively either but his pace gets him out of bother at times. He's not all that quick either (for it to be his best asset). The most comfortable I've seen him was at CB (alongside Taylor iirc) in the Championship.

There was times on Sunday where the ball was knocked over a Spurs players head to him, and he just panicked and headed it straight back to them instead of taking it down and picking out a pass. He stands out like a sore thumb.