Obertan: Earths' gravity is no match for him.

Park Life

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shhh... Oztoon can hear you sniffer meight. He thought Obertan was FANTASTIC.

What a load of drivel. He went from A.I.D.S-riddenly horrible to "decent", and all of a sudden he is a protected species because we happened to win that day as well.

Rather we try someone else soon..

Feel free to concoct whatever you like for what I've said there bud.

Anyway, Pardew seems intent to see what he can get out of Obertan so he's at least being given a good run which is the most you can ask for.

I think he's weak mentally and physically. He's shown this in his inconsistency, his inability to hack it at Man Utd, the way he ambles around after losing possession, the way he backs out of 50/50s despite being 6'2", and his general half-arsed attitude on the pitch. Jarvis (or whomever it was) dribbled straight across Obertan before he crossed for Wolve's goal today and Gabby didn't attempt a challenge, he was just ambling around pointlessly. His strength is running with the ball into space. He can carry the ball well on the counter, but when it comes to release it it's unusual for him not to fuck up. We saw today the chasm between his contribution and Jonas', both going forward and in defence.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I'm back to thinking he's crap. What are those backflicks all about?? Lost posession in crucial areas.

If the rest of the team (well his closest team-mates at the time) were on his wavelength those flicks would be picked up and would take a couple of oppo playesr out the game for that moment in time.

It's a sign of confidence, I think he'll be alright.

I thought he was alright, personally. We're doing ok at the minute. He's a young winger who has loads of good things to his game; he's getting a run in the team which he's not had in several years.

Calling him the weakest link etc seems harsh, as last week against Blackburn he was very good.

Checked and he hasn't.

Has he won free kicks that led to goals?

...or corners that led to goals?

Again, genuine question. I'm a fierce critic of gutierez, but he wins us loads of set pieces in attacking areas even if he's rarely able to finish like today. Don't see obertsn offering even that.

Pardew won't play ben Arfa on the flanks.

Cause he's a big fukin clueless wanker that's why.

The only reason he carries on with Obi is that he's someone to chip the ball to who can run down the field with it...That's about it. He don't do much else.

Edited by Park Life

Saylor/Raylor comes without thinking now for me :lol:

Legitimate reason for those.

Obertan didn't have a very good game, but wasn't horrible. It was encouraging to see our players trying to take advantage of his speed sending through balls....err... through. Could defintely do without the flicks, and with some more defensive resolve, considering his size he should be better at using his body.

What I find most annoying is that most of the time he seems to be a complete space cadet in his own world, like there's a disconnect between him and what's going on. Hopefully that's partly because he's only young and it will improve with maturity and experience, the latter he is definitely lacking. For the time being it seems that to expect any consistent quality from him is asking too much. He should be a much better player than Routledge based on ability, but not in application. Hopefully having the more mature, quality French midfielders will help to get the most out of him, but in the least he'll be a handy player for counter attacking and taking advantage of teams who play a high line in defense. In some ways the pace is frustrating because quite often he'll waste the extra bit of time that it buys him by making a silly decision (whether with the ball or when trying to win a ball).

Edited by OzToonFan

Pardew won't play ben Arfa on the flanks.

Cause he's a big fukin clueless wanker that's why.

The only reason he carries on with Obi is that he's someone to chip the ball to who can run down the field with it...That's about it. He don't do much else.

Tbf Ben Arfa is still being eased back and that's probably the correct approach given the length of his initial injury and subsequent knock pre-season.

He doesn't seem to have lost much (if any pace) so would do the same job as Obertan but with a lot more talent, I just think Pardew has him lined up as a forward which is a bit trickier to slot him straight in with both who currently occupy the positions playing very well.

His first half performance was actually not bad, created 2 goal scoring opportunities. One from a pass/cross that Best didnt collect but it was good enough to force the Wolves defender to stretch in and was only able to knock it to Tiote who had a belting shot saved. Another came from a long period of possession for us, bit of a loose ball, Obertan wins it, feeds Ba whose shot goes wide. Second half he looked asleep.

I thought he was alright, personally. We're doing ok at the minute. He's a young winger who has loads of good things to his game; he's getting a run in the team which he's not had in several years.

Calling him the weakest link etc seems harsh, as last week against Blackburn he was very good.

Not for me. Being charitable id say hes not suitable for the game as played in England. He bottled 4 50/50 challenges yesterday. I'd had a few so I asked the woman in her 50s next to me her opinion and she strongly agreed in terms not suitable on a family forum such as this :-D

He looks a poor footballer as well iyam. Fergie has form for taking very average players with great pace and trying to make something of them. Lee Sharpe flickered briefly before injuries and nightclubs took their toll but at the moment Obertan looks more in the David Bellion mould.