Thatcher and Hillsborough

Howmanheyman

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I'm by no way condoning football hooliganism and there was some pretty dreadful goings on in the 80s. But the purpose of the fences was misjudged by the authorities - the intention was crowd containment, not crowd safety. People trying to escape pens were automatically adjudged to be in the wrong - how shameful of the authorities that this became the vanilla reaction and the events of 15.04.89 took far too long for them to realise a tragedy was occurring.

See spurs in the cup as the perfect example where fans escaping a crush were truncheoned.

One of the worst things about Hillsborough for me was watching fans running across the pitch with people on "stretchers" having to pass a line of coppers on the halfway line obviously with one eye on expecting bother.

I don't disagree with any of that, fences were a law and order device rather than a health and safety one. Their use tarred all football supporters as violent and penned them in pre-emptively regardless. But however wrong that was, it was easily justified on the back of the actions of the violent minority.

Yeah I can't disagree with that.

One of the worst things about Hillsborough for me was watching fans running across the pitch with people on "stretchers" having to pass a line of coppers on the halfway line obviously with one eye on expecting bother.

Amen. Many of the police stood by and watched as the fans - some of them injured themselves, carried the dead and critically injured away from the terraces out of the glare of the public. Heroes every single one of them.

BTW - someone in the office today dared suggest that, despite the findings, the fans weren't blameless and that it was 'typical of Liverpool fans'. The ignorance of some I find absolutely baffling.

See spurs in the cup as the perfect example where fans escaping a crush were truncheoned.

My lass lost one of her best mates there. He'd gone there with another mate who came back to Liverpool that night alone, with a smashed nose. The result of a truncheon blow trying to push him back into the pen.

I've seen that image before Stevie and I know that all those within it survived the disaster. Agree that it may seem tasteless today but on reflection, it's images like that which made the world realise that the fans weren't the problem that day and farted in the face of The Sun's, the FA's and Bernard Ingham's angle.

Hard hitting, but extremely powerful.

It's 27 years ago, I don't think anyone can seriously defend that picture.

That New Yorker article was from 2011. I imagine they use a program to scrape news sites for terms and auto generate tweets from their archive that are relevant to current news.

They've deleted it now.

Would be totally incongruous for someone to read today's news and think that the article retained any relevance whatsoever.

That New Yorker article was from 2011. I imagine they use a program to scrape news sites for terms and auto generate tweets from their archive that are relevant to current news.

They've deleted it now.

Would be totally incongruous for someone to read today's news and think that the article retained any relevance whatsoever.

I take it there's been something disgusting on Twitter?

You don't want people coming out with stuff like that when you're facing prosecutions on the scale that the Met seem to be...

And by taking that stance, they're eroding the transparency that society demands on the back of the very situation he's apologising for. Makes an absolute mockery of the system.

"Can't have 'one of our own' criticising and accepting responsibility on behalf of 'one of our own'" - Why the hell not? Saving their skins on from a prosecution POV is a bit late in the day... 27 years too late tbh!