Thatcher and Hillsborough

Howmanheyman

Thats a lovely argument in theory but how many industries would we subsidise? Coal, ship building, Steal, Gas, Telcoms, Car manufacturing, British rail???

Money has to come from somewhere.

And lets face it, even if someone could find the billions, the fact that the unions were still ruling the roost would have fucked us over.

Maybe had the unions leaders being a little bit more realistic in the 70's / early 80's then public money could have been used to give us Nissan type british factories. Unfortunately it was too geared towards wages / pensions / benefits etc.

The present government are cutting in a way that makes Thatcher look like she had a light touch CT. Google what the benefit bill was last year.

Guest CabayeAye

Those industries you mention C T would cost pennies compared with BAE, BNFL, farming and banking.

Nail on the head. The Unions were given as a justification for needlessly crushing the horrible North to save the lovely south.

In reality, the unions should have been outlawed, tossers like Scargill chucked in prison and the industries subsidised to stay competetive.

We'd at least then have the means to climb out of this mess. At present, we're uberfucked.

Nail on the head. The Unions were given as a justification for needlessly crushing the horrible North to save the lovely south.

In reality, the unions should have been outlawed, tossers like Scargill chucked in prison and the industries subsidised to stay competetive.

We'd at least then have the means to climb out of this mess. At present, we're uberfucked.

That would probably have been the dream scenario but I guess easier said than done. You still couldnt subsidise everything though when you had chinese workers etc building ships for pennies.

While sorting out union control was probably the main factor, Im sure I remember at the time before the strike, talks about improving the pits which were totally thrown out by Union leaders in favour of industrial action.

Edited by Christmas Tree

• 3 years later...

I thought they'd find that but also mention misbehaviour - I'm surprised it's a complete exoneration of the fans combined with a complete blame of everybody else.

I thought they'd find that but also mention misbehaviour - I'm surprised it's a complete exoneration of the fans combined with a complete blame of everybody else.

Just as well they placed no blame on the fans, heard one family member saying that if the jury had've in any way held the fans partially responsible then they wouldn't have accepted the verdict. And this would have gone on for another twenty years.

One of my worst memories which didn't involve my family, but hopefully, HOPEFULLY, 27 years after it happened, people are finally putting it to bed. They were right, South Yorkshire Police were/are total lying scum, and it's officially accepted by all sides that they are now. Let everyone rest in peace now.

Edited by McFaul

Every football fan should be delighted with this verdict.

Good on the victims family for pursuing this for so long. Regardless of what you think of Liverpool, the way they have relentlessly campaigned against what was an absolute hatchet job is a fantastic example of how to stand up to a corrupt establishment. Just a shame they have had to wait 27 years to get the justice they deserve.

All down to the CPS now. I do get the impression they're out to make a name for themselves in PR terms so the families can have a bit hope that they'll charge anyone they can get. Duckenfield is the obvious one but if I was ex premier league chief exec Sir David Richards I'd be " speaking to my advisors" pretty sharpish..

EDIT: is that horrendous arsehole Graham Kelly still alive?...secretary of the FA who didn't care that Hillsborough didn't have a safety cert..

Edited by PaddockLad

The original coroner, Stefan Popper needs holding to account as well. Never mind SWFC for having an out of date safety certificate and the FA for continuously using a delapidated stadium with no valid safety certificate year after year despite the warnings 8 years previous.

Cg9mS66WMAIFXGT.jpg

This fucker is still refusing to make any apology.

Almost 3 decades to get this result. It shames not only those responsible on the day but everyone who slowed the families in exposing the truth.

And while the supporters on that day were entirely blameless and have been vindicated, Andy Dawson's tweet also rang sadly true...

https://twitter.com/profanityswan/status/724907908799053825

Cg9mS66WMAIFXGT.jpg

This f*cker is still refusing to make any apology.

Yeah I read this too, absolutely disgusting. Fair enough you may have an 'alternative' opinion but you should respect the findings of the jury in a public inquiry otherwise you're calling the justice system into question.

It's comtemptable, surely?

And while the supporters on that day were entirely blameless and have been vindicated, Andy Dawson's tweet also rang sadly true...

https://twitter.com/profanityswan/status/724907908799053825

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I'm by no way condoning football hooliganism and there was some pretty dreadful goings on in the 80s. But the purpose of the fences was misjudged by the authorities - the intention was crowd containment, not crowd safety. People trying to escape pens were automatically adjudged to be in the wrong - how shameful of the authorities that this became the vanilla reaction and the events of 15.04.89 took far too long for them to realise a tragedy was occurring.

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/724975592228163584

Just unbelievable. 6m followers and they f*cking post this. Nearly as bad as The Sun in 1989. Actually shocked at how idiotic yanks are.

I've seen that image before Stevie and I know that all those within it survived the disaster. Agree that it may seem tasteless today but on reflection, it's images like that which made the world realise that the fans weren't the problem that day and farted in the face of The Sun's, the FA's and Bernard Ingham's angle.

Hard hitting, but extremely powerful.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I'm by no way condoning football hooliganism and there was some pretty dreadful goings on in the 80s. But the purpose of the fences was misjudged by the authorities - the intention was crowd containment, not crowd safety. People trying to escape pens were automatically adjudged to be in the wrong - how shameful of the authorities that this became the vanilla reaction and the events of 15.04.89 took far too long for them to realise a tragedy was occurring.

I don't disagree with any of that, fences were a law and order device rather than a health and safety one. Their use tarred all football supporters as violent and penned them in pre-emptively regardless. But however wrong that was, it was easily justified on the back of the actions of the violent minority.