Obama once again showing America is Israel's lapdog.

Park Life

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing how few casualties there have been on the israeli side given the daily volley of rockets hamas militants fire from gaza. obvioulsy the iron dome defence system helps but it highlights the gulf in miitary capabilities.

kind of reminds me of that old bill hicks bit about iraq's elite republican guard during the first gulf war. "look out, here comes one of them buick scuds. watch out, oh look - in the ocean. those things are so hard to steer."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqBOMBSDQsI

both as bad as each other. israel just has bigger weapons

Tired of hearing that argument. Its what you believe if you only watch the BBC or Sky. Or if you believe this conflict started some weeks back.

Tired of hearing that argument. Its what you believe if you only watch the BBC or Sky. Or if you believe this conflict started some weeks back.

No it isn't. I'm a journalist and read a wide range of sources. And I have a personal interest in the conflict.

I think there are dickheads on both sides. There are also people on both sides that want peace.

But firing rockets indiscriminately is no different to what the idf is doing in terms of motivation. If anything it's worse as they're solely designed to target civilians.

At least the Israelis are attempting to target Hamas militants. Not that any of that that justifies the humanitarian crisis. It's a disgrace. But Israel's actions look much worse because their weapons result in so many more civilian casualties.

But the blame for all of this doesn't lie solely with Israel. There are arseholes on both sides of the conflict.

The solution to this lies with the White House but Obama is in danger of being overtaken by events.

The solution to this lies in Israel stopping its horrendous occupation and blockade of land that does not belong to them. And yes, while I agree firing rockets into civilian territories cannot be condoned, you have to wonder what 60 years of illegal occupation, blockade and murder can do to the mind. There might be arseholes on both sides at the moment but the fault here lies very squarely with Israel, unless of course you choose to see this conflict as starting when Hamas fired the first rocket some weeks back.

I dont for a minute believe Israel is concerned about civilians, I wouldnt be surprised if they were targeting them deliberately either. The article above and those posted on the previous page explain my point of view on this better than I myself ever could.

Who decided Israel should be a recognised and sovereign state in the middle of the Middle East again? And, also, how did they get so powerful, militarily?

Who decided Israel should be a recognised and sovereign state in the middle of the Middle East again? And, also, how did they get so powerful, militarily?

The US.

israel would argue that they're disputed territories, not occupied. though the annexation of east jerusalem remains controversial and the less said about the settlers the better.

there is a philosophical question about whether israel has a right to exist. whichever side of the fence you sit on in that debate will determine whether you believe israel has the right to defend itself.

a two state solution is the only long term answer to the conflict. but that will never happen with hamas in gaza, or as long as US influence in the region continues to fade.

israel's heavy handed response, with the number of civilian deaths, has been deplorable. but you can't condemn them and not the dickheads in Hamas firing rockets directly at civilian targets. what is that honestly going to achieve?

if anything, there is less support for hamas than ever in the arab world. although there has been a lot of coverage of the death and destruction on rolling tv news channels, there hasn't been the usual outcry from arab governments and the public outrage has been muted - largely because of the widespread turmoil throughout the region.

the united nations, after british mandate of palestine was terminated.

if you accept israel is a sovereign state then you have to accept it has the right to defend itself. the way israel chooses to defend itself is another matter.

Edited by Dr Gloom

the united nations, after british mandate of palestine was terminated.

if you accept israel is a sovereign state then you have to accept it has the right to defend itself. the way israel chooses to defend itself is another matter.

Via terrorism of course.

Its a classic example of religious stupidity - once phrases like "holy land" are used, rationality goes out of the window.

(Applies to both sides of course)

Via terrorism of course.

Its a classic example of religious stupidity - once phrases like "holy land" are used, rationality goes out of the window.

(Applies to both sides of course)

which is the point i was trying to make. it's the hardliners on both sides that prevent peace ever happening. they're as bad as each other.

and it's no secret that the british role in creating the whole mess regarding the disputed territories was a big one, which is what i suspect ken was hinting at.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Goes back far further than the creation of the Israeli state. Arabs and Jews have been fighting over the 'Holy land' for hundreds and hundreds of years the death toll likely runs to hundreds of thousands.

Releigious crackpots shaking the tree and shooting at what comes of, both sides are as bad as the other.

At this present time Israel (the Jewish Homeland) have the upper hand due to their backing from the West. If the US pulled its backing of Israel, this would happen the other way round and very quickly.

Fucking ridiculous all ways round. Put the guns down, have a chat, look to the future and live in peace.

Thats all they need - the jewish lobby via banking wealth is all they've ever needed.

The fact a Jewish state was enacted in the first place in that region. Insane.

which is the point i was trying to make. it's the hardlines on both sides that prevent peace ever happening. they as bad as each other.

and it's no secret that the british role in creating the whole mess regarding the disputed territories was a big one, which is what i suspect ken was hinting at.

Nearly all of the border related problems in the ME (and Africa for that matter) are to some extent Britain's fault.

(Stoked by tribalism of course)

Nearly all of the border related problems in the ME (and Africa for that matter) are to some extent Britain's fault.

(Stoked by tribalism of course)

yup. it's fair to say we have a good share of the world's blood on our hands.