Most exciting thing you have done today?

Jan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had spaghetti bolognaise at 2am - that's as exciting as it's been so far. However there's still 4hrs left for something ruptured and vascular to crash through the doors..

OK so I ran the Auckland Marathon today. Finished in 3 hours 48 mins (by my watch). Ran well up to about 28kms, started to run out of gas and by 36 kms I hit the wall and had to walk a couple of times. I'd have taken the bus if there was one. By 40kms I resembled the old knacker I am and hobbled by cramp, I just about made it over the line at a snail's pace. Not quite the glorious finish I imagined, but hey ho.

I'm sitting on my sofa now and basically can't move my legs. I have 3 black toenails, a painfully chafed scrotum, a couple of ugly blisters I'm afraid to look at and I'm basically a broken man. Completely worth it.

Edit: and buggered instep and fucked knee :lol:

Edited by Kitman

Hey Kitman, congratulations! I'm bigtime impressed. That's a good time as well, so you must be pretty content on your sofa (except for all the sore stuff!). Pretty sure you went a minute quicker than the 27year old whippet that I sit next to at work.

Did it ever get bad enough that you thought you might have to knock it on the head? Anyway, well done, genuine life achievement ticked off the list.

Hey Kitman, congratulations! I'm bigtime impressed. That's a good time as well, so you must be pretty content on your sofa (except for all the sore stuff!). Pretty sure you went a minute quicker than the 27year old whippet that I sit next to at work.

Did it ever get bad enough that you thought you might have to knock it on the head? Anyway, well done, genuine life achievement ticked off the list.

Thanks Gem. I never considered knocking it on the head because I was basically only a few kms from the finish when my legs rebelled. So I was determined to make it even if I walked over the line. It's a bastard of a race though, mentally very cruel. The most depressing thing was seeing the number of wrinkled old prunes (we're talking 60-70 year olds) who cruised past me about 8 or 9 kms from home, some of them were even chatting. Fucking modern medicine, I tell you.

When I got over the line I poured about 5 cups of water over my head (it's been a hot day here for running) and wobbled my way unsteadily out to attempt some half hearted stretching on my shattered body. Near me was a 20 something guy, wearing a finisher's medal, polishing off a beer and saying to a mate the equivalent of "well I'm quite pleased with 3 hrs 35 considering I've done no training." Fucking bastard looked fresh as a daisy, whereas I'm looking like a minging pile of shite & drawing pitying glances.

I'm pleased with my time though.

Well done kitman, that's a he'll of an achievement. You should feel very proud of yourself :D

Oh, and you won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow.

Thanks! I am a little stiff today (oo er missus)

Fair play. That's a good time. You must have been going a decent pace before you had to start walking.

Dublin marathon tomorrow. My mate is hoping to beat 3hours. I might have a look at it next year.

Fair play. That's a good time. You must have been going a decent pace before you had to start walking.

Dublin marathon tomorrow. My mate is hoping to beat 3hours. I might have a look at it next year.

Cheers Barney. My second half split time was only 7m slower than my first, so I must have overdone it 20 - 30kms. Beating 3 hours is insanely fast btw.

anything under 4hrs is a good time for someone whose done 0-a couple of marathons , well done KitMan

tbh anyone finishing a marathon is doing well, i can't stand running any length at all anymore, bores the utter balls off me, and the marathon just has me questioning the wierdos standing in the rain watching and cheering on strangers.

Thanks Ant. I know what you mean, going to have a serious break now from road running. My knees are a bit shagged anyway tbh.

I ordered a new roof on Saturday and then went out on Saturday night as got as pissed as pissed can be, staggered in around 3am. Four hours of sleeped and no hangover...... :jonas:

By far the most exciting thing that's happened to me today: I was bitten by a dog. Inspired by Kitman, I went out for a jog. Ran past a geezer and his two dogs. Dunno what breed, they were grey, mid-sized. One of them jumped up and bit me in my left hand. Bleeding but I don't think it's bad. Hand's a bit swollen though.

By far the most exciting thing that's happened to me today: I was bitten by a dog. Inspired by Kitman, I went out for a jog. Ran past a geezer and his two dogs. Dunno what breed, they were grey, mid-sized. One of them jumped up and bit me in my left hand. Bleeding but I don't think it's bad. Hand's a bit swollen though.

Make sure you get it disinfected.

Make sure you get it disinfected.

I've talked to a nurse, she advised me to have it checked out. She said I might need a tetanus shot. I doubt it though.