Transfers ? Who would / wouldn't you sign ?

south_cheshire_toon

OK, so that time of the year is approaching.

No not Xmas, the next transfer window, and as it seems we missed out with AC departing so late, Pardew has had quite a bit of time to get the squad up and running.

Things seems to be running ok at present, 3rd in the league, may it long continue.

But if you had your way who would you bring in if all the money from AC departure was available ?

Who have you heard / seen so far this season that ticks all of the boxes or could fit into the squad ?

and if at all, who would you get rid off from the squad to lighten the wages ?

Also what areas of the squad do need to be strengthened ?

So, Nicky Maynard at Bristol City, (Ex Alex) has always been one of my favs. (he'd only be about 5m max.)

And I'd get rid of Alan Smith.

As for the squad, perhaps one of each, Defender, Midfielder and Attacker (perhaps a tall one).

Thoughts ?

Edited by south_cheshire_toon

Ridgewell would be a good buy, LB and centre hald cover in one at a decent standard

Maiga seems the likely striker although if we're going for hopes rather than expectations then someone like Cisse or Sow would be amazing

as for midfielders I have no idea, we seemed relatively well stocked numbers wise but some additional quality to keep the likes of smith off the bench would be nice

Eric Pieters for Left Back - Good young player who wants to come and isnt exactly going to cost an arm and a leg

Maiga - Done deal according to a few people

Centre Back - Ridgewell

I fancy Drenthe at the end of the season for nothing personally! Excellent signing!

seem like our kind of deals too

free, hopefully we can give everton a smashing on saturday and drenthe will be impressed enough with it all to fancy coming here at the end of the season

Edited by Semimental

Simon Bird article today predicting Tiote is a goner...

Every player has his price. Will Fabricio Coloccini attract a £15 million bid? Will Tiote, who l will predict now could be sold in the summer, be flogged earlier if someone comes calling with £20 million?

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/simon-bird/Simon-Bird-Still-unbeaten-how-high-can-Newcastle-United-rise-this-season-article825316.html#ixzz1cSlqaD47

Every player has his price. Will Fabricio Coloccini attract a £15 million bid? Will Tiote, who l will predict now could be sold in the summer, be flogged earlier if someone comes calling with £20 million?

Read more: http://www.mirrorfoo...l#ixzz1cSlqaD47

No real insight there though. I could predict that he might go in the summer too, every player has his price. Unfortunately our best players will attract suitors. Even clubs the size of Arsenal can't hold on to their best players when certain sides come calling.

£32 million and you'd sign Nicky Maynard?

Christ.

I think I didn't explain myself very well, you don't have to blow the lot on one player. (Have edited post)

I was just saying that Nikcy could be a good long term signing, and then use the rest elsewhere.

No real insight there though. I could predict that he might go in the summer too, every player has his price. Unfortunately our best players will attract suitors. Even clubs the size of Arsenal can't hold on to their best players when certain sides come calling.

At least Simon Bird provided no insight off his own back with specific amounts and players. You just repeated his slogans with more vagueness ;)

Supposing we're still doing alright in January, that would be an excellent time to try and get, say for example, Pieters, Maiga and Ridgewell in. Two out of three and nobody out would be great tbh. I'll remain cynical until it happens though.

Hoiletts contract is expiring, he'd be a canny freebie. Other than that we want our striker and more importantly a defender.

Would love Hoillet, seems to be improving rapidly and wouldnt cost much (I think because of his age we'd still have to pay some fee despite his contract expiring).

If I was any of those players and had a chance to move top one of the teams in the the big four I'd be there like a shot. I have to wonder if they are good enough for us.

Speak English, man.

Also, Gary Cahill has been utter shit so far this season but I still think he's a good defender (if overrated). I wonder have the likes of Spurs gone off the idea of buying him since his dip in form, worth a cheeky bid perhaps? Have a feeling Liverpool will get him.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Given that we are predicted to break even and still have the Carroll money as our transfer fund then there's no logical reason for us to sell him.

Unless there is money going out of the club, but we've been assured that isn't the case...

I think Samba (and Taylor tbf) need or are better with a Colo type player. Ideally the man himself. Problem with Samba would be his current contract, i.e. he'd want a pay rise or parity at least to come plus he'd cost a lot. He's a good, strong centre-half but he's also what I'd politely term a duck egg, and can't play football. I think for what he'd cost etc. he wouldn't be worth it / would be more than the fee / wages we'd be wiling to pay.