Why are England so shite at football?

Dr Gloom

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cascarino wasn't aware that his mother was adopted until well into his Ireland career, so it was a straight forward granny rule.

Eric Young was in the same boat as Le Tissier wasn't he?

Edited by ewerk

Additional to this - who actually likes the England team?

I wouldn't say that I dislike them, but I'm very apathetic towards them. I still want them to do well but you wouldn't find me crying after a loss.

Id say that covers me too, outside of WCs and euros im not particularly bothered about watching the games either

2 top four finishes (finalist or semi finalist) since we started competing in the WC is a pretty damning statistic like when you look at it another way (ie being 'there or thereabouts'/in a position to actually win a tournament). Germany have 12 top four finishes and 7 final appearances by contrast. Ie they're pretty much always there or thereabouts even if they're shit.

Also you'd have liked to think we'd have managed a Euro Championships in our time, but not even so much as a final appearance.

Puts things into perspective really when you strip the emotions away from it.

Aye Tom, excellent post that. As for your last line, I didn't even bother watching last night. It's also depressing that the likes of Brooking are still banging on about the changes that need to be made. Er, what's your job again, Trev?

It's almost like everybody is aware of the general rhetoric they need to spout in regards to the England team but nobody wants to do anything about it! Even the people in power constantly talk & talk, a fix would be a 6+5 rule - I think a lot of other countries would implement it no problem but the rich clubs in the Premier League would never let it happen as it would knack their transfer economy - and most of the owners are foreign anyway!

We are the masters of talking about what we need to do without actually doing it. Especially post tournament - we talk about what we need to do to improve like it can happen overnight - when it's perhaps taken Spain 15 years? It takes patience & slow implementation & with the Premier League being the way it is we'd have to suffer a certain amount of loss for anything to happen - I can't see it!

Aye excellent crack Tom. I wasn't aware Italians shut the door to foreigners between 66 and 80 I knew there were restrictions, but I didn't realise they operated a Nick Griffin type policy.

I think if we ever are to make that leap from 5th-10th to 1st or 2nd, two things need to happen, one is at least 6 or 7 Englishmen in every club team at the start of a game, and two a healthy amount of English players playing in France, Germany, Italy and Spain. We're being squeezed at both ends with regards to that, cos a lot of teams have one or two, and no one other than Joe Cole and Carson play abroad.

The restrictions were pre 66 - I think clubs could have one or two foreign players - and a lot of English players went over at the time, strangely they robbed the defensive style they became a cliché for from a Man United centre half, we shouldn't have told the buggers!

Again it's all money - why would our players go abroad to get paid less? They can barely stand to stay at clubs they claim to love when somebody else waves a bigger pay cheque at them! Cole seems to be doing well in France but Carson is being mocked for playing in such a shite league it's difficult to make the change. I also can't see 6+5 happening till the premier league bubble bursts.

I agree with what Meenzer was saying in regards to integration, players coming over here seldom have any bother with it but it's very rare you see it the other way round.

Linekar was probably the best example, learning a bit of Spanish & a bit of Japanese but you've got any amount of players like Rush who clearly couldn't be arsed & wanted to be back in England because they were unfamiliar abroad beyond a 'holiday'. Even an early example - Jimmy Greaves played for Milan & had a great strike rate but packed it in after a couple of months for English money & familiarity.

For the past ten or so years the managers have done the exact same thing each time they get the job and that's pick individuals instead of picking a team.

The reputation of players have been put before the team for so long that other teams have passed us by in making the right changes that benefits them. See Spain, they are leaving the likes of Fabragas, Torres etc out as its good for the team, if we had them for England they'd be forced into the team at the expense of whats best also See Gerrard playing on the left for the majority of his England playing career instead of the position he's used too because the manager didnt want to drop Lampard. The managers seem too scared of the media to drop certain players, because they know that the papers etc will bang on about how we lost because so and so was left out of the team.

It's easy to leave the likes of Fabregas and Torres out when you have Xavi and Villa ahead of them.

Aye :lol:

And there's a reason they have players like that and we don't!

It's easy to leave the likes of Fabregas and Torres out when you have Xavi and Villa ahead of them.

Aye :lol:

And there's a reason they have players like that and we don't!

Is it down to the FA or the clubs though? Over half of Spain's squad are from Barca/Real Madrid.

Aye excellent crack Tom. I wasn't aware Italians shut the door to foreigners between 66 and 80 I knew there were restrictions, but I didn't realise they operated a Nick Griffin type policy.

I think if we ever are to make that leap from 5th-10th to 1st or 2nd, two things need to happen, one is at least 6 or 7 Englishmen in every club team at the start of a game, and two a healthy amount of English players playing in France, Germany, Italy and Spain. We're being squeezed at both ends with regards to that, cos a lot of teams have one or two, and no one other than Joe Cole and Carson play abroad.

Euro employment law put paid to the 3 foreigner rule.

If club sides HAD TO name 6 players who qualify for Eng in their PL 21 squad that would be a start.

Well yous stood shoulder to shoulder in World War 2, like two twins of cuntishness which remains the same to this day. In fact Germany lesser so even. No wonder you felt that satisfaction.

What the fuck are you on about, you mad, bigoted wanker?

Well yous stood shoulder to shoulder in World War 2, like two twins of cuntishness which remains the same to this day. In fact Germany lesser so even. No wonder you felt that satisfaction.

Can you not fucking read you left clem?

Yes I can read, now let's have an explaination of just exactly how I'm meant to have collaborated in a war that ended 40 years before I was born. I assume it's something to do with my ancestry but you've got something very, very wrong somewhere.

he's an ex student Stevie, man - and he's only 26 :icon_lol:

2 top four finishes (finalist or semi finalist) since we started competing in the WC is a pretty damning statistic like when you look at it another way (ie being 'there or thereabouts'/in a position to actually win a tournament). Germany have 12 top four finishes and 7 final appearances by contrast. Ie they're pretty much always there or thereabouts even if they're shit.

Also you'd have liked to think we'd have managed a Euro Championships in our time, but not even so much as a final appearance.

Puts things into perspective really when you strip the emotions away from it.

Basically, in the World Cup, the first top side we meet in the knock-out phase and we go out of the tournament. I know it's often on penalties but you could justifiably argue that players who are better technically take better pens anyway. Especially when you're talking about the 4th or 5th ones stepping up to take one.

Yes I can read, now let's have an explaination of just exactly how I'm meant to have collaborated in a war that ended 40 years before I was born. I assume it's something to do with my ancestry but you've got something very, very wrong somewhere.

Aye, I thought not, you stupid cunt.