***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not giving 5 year contracts to players knocking on 30 is a travesty Selling players and replacing them with better,cheaper,younger ones is unacceptable Potentially getting into Europe in our second season back in the premiership is a massive under achievement Spending 10mil on one of the best strikers in the German league is a sign of a club that doesn't back its manager Not selling Tiote,Colo,BA,Krul and Cabaye are clearly the actions of a selling club It's all doom and fucking gloom at Newcastle United

add Colo into that and you've got it. All gone in the next 12-18 months because we won't pay what the likes of Spurs can/are willing to pay them. Thats NUFC with 12-14k more fans than Spurs every home game. I understand we've been losing money for half a decade or more but that has stopped. Now is the time to speculate. As has been well documented on here Spurs' turnover dwarfs our own and it used to be the other way around. We need to grow as a business but I don't think Ashley is interested when this is a once in a decade chance to really go for the top. Shame.

Haven't four out of that five signed deals within the last year?

Yeah, on the face of it good news. I dont think we're in a position to "do a Modric" though if say Chelsea come in for Tiote. We'll sell, with no intention of keeping him. We're spending what we're generating, but thats not enough when you need to keep players to keep competing. Alan Carr is plainly a genius, but he wont keep coming up trumps with free transfers and the odd injury prone or tempremental talent for relative buttons.

Yes, though he went because we were getting £35 million for him. Not because he was underpaid.

Not sure about that.

We're led to believe he'd gone upstairs on deadline day and said he'd like to stay if we'd pay him what Liverpool were offering. We said we wouldn't do that and if he didn't like it he'd have to put in a transfer request cos we wouldn't sell him otherwise. The transfer request came from the player, not the club.

Yeah, on the face of it good news. I dont think we're in a position to "do a Modric" though if say Chelsea come in for Tiote. We'll sell, with no intention of keeping him. We're spending what we're generating, but thats not enough when you need to keep players to keep competing. Alan Carr is plainly a genius, but he wont keep coming up trumps with free transfers and the odd injury prone or tempremental talent for relative buttons.

We are in a position to 'do a Modric' but we won't. We'll sell Tiote for big money if Chelsea come in for him but it won't be out of necessity.

So far I haven't seen much evidence that we haven't been prepared to pay players what they're worth.

Your point about selling players for big money and replacing them with cheaper options is slightly different but is indeed a worry and I agree that at this point we need to be adding to the squad in order to kick on.

Yes, though he went because we were getting £35 million for him. Not because he was underpaid.

Not sure about that.

We're led to believe he'd gone upstairs on deadline day and said he'd like to stay if we'd pay him what Liverpool were offering. We said we wouldn't do that and if he didn't like it he'd have to put in a transfer request cos we wouldn't sell him otherwise. The transfer request came from the player, not the club.

:lol: You honestly believe that the club had any intention of keeping him after Liverpool offered silly money?

Not sure about that.

:lol: You honestly believe that the club had any intention of keeping him after Liverpool offered silly money?

Not at all. But I don't believe Carroll would have put in a transfer request if it wasn't about his salary either. The transfer fee made no difference to him.

Cheer up PaddockLad.

Am fine me like, but I think people swallow a lot of media guff and post it on here as informed opinion. Its a bit like the x files at the moment i.e. "the truth is out there" but the likes of Pardew I think are spinning it in a more positive iight than the situation warrants. Theres been good and bad since relegation, I've mostly enjoyed going to the games. Cheerleaders and fanboys are entitled to their opinion of course, but I think theyre being sold a few whoppers by the club.

Edited by PaddockLad

Not sure about that.

The story of him 'poking his head round the corner' and saying Liv have offered me 70k a week or whatever is probably true. That is the kind of mut he is.

Regardless it was IMO the best piece of transfer business we've carried out in living memory.

35m for an out of work doorman is stellar whichever way you look at it.

The strategy of the club right now may be a 'mixed bag', but with regard to player trading it is for me heading in the right direction. We'll need one or two more windows to see if it continues.

Tiote going won't be the end of the world. I'd be far more concerned if Ba left.

Edited by Park Life

Cheer up PaddockLad.

Am fine me like, but I think people swallow a lot of media guff and post it on here as informed opinion. Its a bit like the x files at the moment i.e. "the truth is out there" but the likes of Pardew I think are spinning it in a more positive iight than the situation warrants. Theres been good and bad since relegation, I've mostly enjoyed going to the games. Cheerleaders and fanboys are entitled to their opinion of course, but I think theyre being sold a few whoppers by the club.

I disagree. Since the Carroll sale, Pardew has been very careful with his words and has guaranteed nothing. Only the other day he was saying how we could lose players in the summer.

Cheer up PaddockLad.

I disagree. Since the Carroll sale, Pardew has been very careful with his words and has guaranteed nothing. Only the other day he was saying how we could lose players in the summer.

We're certain to lose one or two of the big hitters imo. Hope I'm wrong obviously.

Not giving 5 year contracts to players knocking on 30 is a travesty

Selling players and replacing them with better,cheaper,younger ones is unacceptable

Potentially getting into Europe in our second season back in the premiership is a massive under achievement

Spending 10mil on one of the best strikers in the German league is a sign of a club that doesn't back its manager

Not selling Tiote,Colo,BA,Krul and Cabaye are clearly the actions of a selling club

It's all doom and fucking gloom at Newcastle United

where is the Carroll cash ?

Great response, I never saw that one coming chum

its a serious reply, what's your answer. Where is it ?

When you understand this, you may understand the bigger picture here.

Cheer up PaddockLad.

yeah, but he was droning on about "the Spurs model" the other day when we will never compete with them on wages. Its what Derek and Mike are putting out there. He was tucked up about Carroll by them too you'll remember. "No way is he leaving" etc etc...regardless of what was offered, they still made him look like a puppet. Fair play to Pardew though, this season has been pretty good, considering.

Not sure about that.

and they have a trophy, and will continue to build on it, so you can spout finance as much as you like, but in the footballing world, they have shown their intentions and that makes them a very attractive club to play for again, miles superior than the one who has just sold them 2 of their best players and show every indication of continuing that path.

So who are the fools, and who is the more attractive club ?

Not selling Tiote,Colo,BA,Krul and Cabaye are clearly the actions of a selling club

You can't sell all the players, or you won't have any players left to sell.

26113370:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg?20101107023403

he should prepare to get bitten on the arse after such a ludicrous post.

Selling players and replacing them with better,cheaper,younger ones is unacceptable

Example?

Cabaye is better and younger than Nolan

Both BA and Cisse were cheaper and are better than Carroll

Tiote is better than any cdm in recent history and cost relative peanuts.

Colo cost a lot less than the previous lot spunked on Boumsong

Some people love to get hung up on negatives, which I agree there have been plenty but this is the best side in ages

Example?

no he didnt

he is better though, that should have been the point you made

10 million for Colo. Can't argue with the rest but do you really think we'll keep them?

Who knows? At the same time who could have predicted we would improve so much this time last year if we had got rid of Barton, Nolan and Enrique?

I don't see the point in people worrying about players leaving, especially after some thought Tiote would go in January.

Oh and as we speak Barton hasn't been adequately replaced. We've little service from out wide to speak of.

I don't think Barton was up to much anyway but it is an area we need to upgrade, I think he only managed 2 assists after Carroll left which isn't much for someone that takes the set plays.

Example?

Cabaye is better and younger than Nolan

Both BA and Cisse were cheaper and are better than Carroll

Tiote is better than any cdm in recent history and cost relative peanuts.

Some people love to get hung up on negatives, which I agree there have been plenty but this is the best side in ages

I thought you meant we were replacing players with New ones with all 3 attributes.

Just because someone is younger and/or cheaper doesn't make them a good signing. And your point seems to be that being better alone isn't necessarily good if they're older or cost more.

There isn't an example of any replacement with all 3 attributes though. Not me being negative. Just keeping the hyperbole in check :)

Edited by Happy Face