Coloccini

henda11

Canny news if true, But it is the Daily Mail.

Fabricio Coloccini is hopeful of shaking off his thigh injury in time to face Norwich on Saturday.

The Argentine limped out of last Saturday's defeat to Chelsea and manager Alan Pardew feared the worst with Steven Taylor also likely to miss the rest of the season after undergoing Achilles surgery.

article-2071388-0EF3FF2F00000578-822_468x363.jpg

Full-backs Danny Simpson and James Perch had been lined up to make a new central defensive partnership.

However, Coloccini, speaking at an awards ceremony in Gateshead on Wednesday night said: 'It is tight but I am hoping to play in the next game

[/qoute]

Edited by henda11

Simpson and Perch? Kadar might as well just quit now (if true).

Santon* - Perch** - Simpson*** - R. Taylor****

* 6'2" 77kg - Has played less than 20 minutes in the league since arriving.

** 5'11" 72kg - Biggest achievement is holding the Premier League record for most consecutive yellows in first games in the league (5). In his sixth game, he avoided yellow scoring the match winning goal - for Stoke.

*** 5'10" 74kg - Well known for his back off and hope they pass the ball approach to defending.

**** 5'8" 75kg - Nice guy, but isn't fooling anyone by claiming he's a left back. Running out of time before his defensive errors outweigh his positive contributions, which granted have been above expectations.

That's an incredibly small defensive unit. Colo isn't huge at 6'0" and 78kg but what he lacks in size he makes up in defensive intelligence something Perch, Simpson and Ryan Taylor are known to lack. That judgement cannot yet be made on Santon, but it would be unfair to expect him to settle quickly into the task having come from a completely different less physical league.

Kadar at least has played in England for long enough to know what to expect. At 6'2" and 85kg he's a virtual colossus when compared to Perch and Simpson. I feel there's literally nothing to lose in playing Kadar as an alternative to Perch or Simpson out of position in the middle of defense.

I reckon Pardew thinks Kadar is shit tbh. Never got a look in even though we've lacked cover at LB and CB. And who am I to argue tbh, he's seen a lot more of him than we have.

I dont think Raylor has ever said he is a LB has he? He has done a good job there.

I spoke to a lad here and he said he had read something that Santon doesnt have a great mentality and hence the reason Inter wanted shut of him?

Progress being made on his and Simpsons new contracts.

Given Saylor's long term injury and our staggering lack of first team centre backs, I really hope we get Collo's contract sorted out as he's been a mainstay in the side and a key player in the past 2 seasons. Brilliant centre backs can be hard to come by and he's up there with the best in the league.

No way we can replace him and Saylor in January when teams will know we're desperate and command fees the odious child-enslaving hutt wouldn't even dream of paying.

The longer contract talks drag on the more I have to remind myself that there is very little chance of him resigning considering the club's past form with 29y.o.+ players on large wages.

I reckon Pardew thinks Kadar is shit tbh. Never got a look in even though we've lacked cover at LB and CB. And who am I to argue tbh, he's seen a lot more of him than we have.

That's a distinct possibility, but it's hard to be certain as he's also continually had injury problems crop up just as he's returning to full fitness. He might well be shit, but my point is we know Perch and Simpson will make a shit centre half pairing so why not have a crack with Kadar? I'd say it's a posioned chalice anyway as it's like;y that whoever plays with such an unsettled and new back four it's going to be hard going.

That's a distinct possibility, but it's hard to be certain as he's also continually had injury problems crop up just as he's returning to full fitness. He might well be shit, but my point is we know Perch and Simpson will make a shit centre half pairing so why not have a crack with Kadar? I'd say it's a posioned chalice anyway as it's like;y that whoever plays with such an unsettled and new back four it's going to be hard going.

Presumably those two look better in training. It's not ideal, I know, but if Kadar is a worse option then playing those two is the right thing to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't see why his age would be a problem, definitely got another 3 years or so in him. It's not like he ever had lots of pace or anything.

Will need a replacement in the long-term but for now he has to be kept. We couldn't afford to buy another player of his quality and by all accounts he's a great captain.

One of the best defenders I've seen at the club (Woodgate being the other). Took him a season to settle but he's solid and fairly consistent.

The down side is he was signed before MA took the huff so he is on a decent package.

The problem is that his next contract is going to be his last major one. He fully deserves an extension on the same terms. However, could his agent be looking one final pay day with a big slice of a signing on fee that a new club would offer?

The club seriously need to look at what it would cost to replace a player of his calibre and deal accordingly.

We'd be mad not to offer him a final pay day after the leadership, commitment, loyalty hes shown us plus his skill and ability on the ball for a centre half. Players like colo don't grow on trees