Guthrie

Kid Dynamite

Am not negative, just not over positive ;)

I don't really disagree with what theyre doing, there are better players than Guthrie out there. This maybe the start of the "smaller squad, better bench" that's been mentioned. If we qualify for Europe though he's the sort of experianced squad player we'll need.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked to have kept Guthrie, our best cm apart from the first-teamers by some distance. He deserves to be playing week in at a premier league club on current form though. He will probably get that in a bottom 10 team.

Edited by nortoon

Forced out a la Barton....offer a piss take of a contract and then see what happens. Fair enough, but these they're looking at have got go be better than the player being shown the door. No one has truly come through and claimed the right midfield spot that Barton had for various reasons. Vukic looks ok but is possibly the slowest teenager I've ever seen.

Forced out based on what exactly? He probably wants to move on as he isn't guaranteed first team football. So fair play to him for that.

Plus I've no idea why you've mentioned Vuckic, who isn't a right midfielder.

He showed promise when he played at the start of his itme here - Keegan said he was a good player which convinced me. I think he lost his way when we came back up last season, I can remember thinking he was our worst player in a lot of games under Hughton - WBA away he was a disgrace. He's been back to his best this season though and is well worth keeping as a third choice. He's always going to play a lot of games as the third choice CM anyway.

Guest CabayeAye

With Tiote nailed on to leave it would make sense to hold onto our 3rd best midfielder

Jesus man

Agreed that we need to keep Guthrie, but unless we get offered £15m+ for Tiote, we need to keep hold of him too.

I assume Guthrie's viewed as a squad player (which is what he is) and been offered a contract commensurate with that. Whereas Guthrie wants regular football and to be paid accordingly. It doesn't seem to me he's being forced out, just that both parties view his potential in different ways.

He's good back up but if he doesn't want to stay that's fair enough, surely.

Am not negative, just not over positive ;)

I don't really disagree with what theyre doing, there are better players than Guthrie out there. This maybe the start of the "smaller squad, better bench" that's been mentioned. If we qualify for Europe though he's the sort of experianced squad player we'll need.

Barton was 'forced' out onto a much better wage and is performing at QPR like he did his first couple of seasons here (according to their fans).

We have retained those that really matter bar Enrique who would have left unless we offered really, really big money.

Prefer to look at players we have got to sign new contracts like Jonas, Colo, Krul and Tiote.

I assume Guthrie's viewed as a squad player (which is what he is) and been offered a contract commensurate with that. Whereas Guthrie wants regular football and to be paid accordingly. It doesn't seem to me he's being forced out, just that both parties view his potential in different ways.

He's good back up but if he doesn't want to stay that's fair enough, surely.

That's how I see it, same could be said about Simpson's contract as I think he will end up a squad player next season too if he stays.

I like Guthrie and I think he's done well this season, however we've got him, Gosling, Vuckic and Abeid fighting for 3rd choice and I'd much rather lose Guthrie and Gosling and attempt to bring in better to give more competition to Tiote and Cabaye.

Just to reiterate, I dont really disagree with what the club are doing with Guthrie, but for those who don't think he's being "forced out" if you put yourself in the players posistion then I think thats exactly how you'd feel. Barton and Nolan were given a big "fuck off" pill as well with their contract offers. Its a take it or leave it situation. I think I'm among those who thought letting Barton and Nolan go was bad business and would make for a poorer squad. I was wrong on that, even more so after I was told yesterday by a pretty impeccable source that Colo wouldnt have signed a new contract if Barton had still been at the club. The club unrguably got this right.

I was told yesterday by a pretty impeccable source that Colo wouldnt have signed a new contract if Barton had still been at the club. The club unrguably got this right.

Interesting....

Shame to let him go as he's been one of our better players these past few month and has performed better than Cabaye in that time too. Not sure letting him go would benefit us either as I doubt the club would want to fork out a fee for what they'll see as a back-up CM and will probably promote from within. You can't really blame him for wanting to go either as he's not first choice and will get it at clubs lower down the league.

• 1 month later...

The younger lot are going to get a lot more playing time next season (provided we qualify for Europa group stages), so perhaps we'll see Abeid or Vuckic take his place. Guthrie had managed to turn his form around and was a very handy back up; is his contract up or can we expect a fee for him?

I think I'd be happy to have Abeid and Vukic step in to fill the Guthrie void if we were looking at signing a new midfielder who would also slot into the first team.

Shame to lose Guthrie as he's a good squad player, but his reason for leaving is understandable. Genuinely wish him well wherever he ends up (hopefully Reading!).