Ashley apologists and Match Attendees

LeazesMag

I'm quite enjoying us pushing for European qualification with a group of players that appear to be wanted by what the press consider the big 6.

A big improvement over what we had and where we were when he took over.

Fingers crossed we can keep progressing but we could do with the financial fair play rules to be enforced strongly for that to happen, since he's turned around what was a financial mess into a break even one.

Absolutely the right attitude that, especially the bit in bold, irrespective of whether you like the owner or not, or think he's doing it the right way or not, it's something we should all be able to agree on (or most of us anyway).

It's right though and I don't see the point in worrying about players leaving, in fact the way we've been scouting players over the past few years I feel confident that we could do a good job of replacing them anyway, I can remember people worried about Baye leaving but who gives him a second thought now? Or Given, or Nolan.

Some players have left that have bothered me like Enrique but it happens with all clubs, others have gone and we've not only replaced them but improved too with their replacements.

I feel similar about our scouting network as I did about Arsenal's a decade or so ago in that we've been able to sell what is considered our stars and replace them for less money while attempting to improve.

having a good scouting system AND keeping your best players is what a REAL good club would be doing.

Where does your DOF come in all of this then Baggio ? Do you still have those pro-Wise and anti-Keegan views you had ?

I thought you wanted to keep this thread from going off track?

Every club in the country has lost good players in the past, is that even up for dispute? Since the club became more ruthless by cutting Shearer loose and employing Hughton full time we've only lost 2 players who I would have preferred it if they had stayed, the one was in the final year of his contract and wouldn't sign a new one and the other was sold for a ridiculous amount of money that he wasn't worth.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part? I think we've brought in some fantastic players for not a lot of money and I'm confident it can continue too.

We've done very well but I get the feeling (in fact, I know ;) ) that it's a bit of a one-man band, i.e. Graham Carr. Hence the reason we're concentrating on France atm, i.e. our resources are a tad thin on the scouting front, albeit Carr is well-connected. Arsenal's scouting network was more extensive I think with a far less restricted remit.

I agree, I wasn't saying it was as good as Arsenal's but more that you had confidence in it to replace the player that was leaving, which was something you felt with them back then.

you and Baggio have another thing in common. Neither of you go to games, in the real world.

Why ask if people go to games if you don't believe them? :lol:

Midds and Johnnypd on N-O have used my season ticket in the past and can tell you I've got a great seat.;)

Which part? I think we've brought in some fantastic players for not a lot of money and I'm confident it can continue too.

We've done very well but I get the feeling (in fact, I know ;) ) that it's a bit of a one-man band, i.e. Graham Carr. Hence the reason we're concentrating on France atm, i.e. our resources are a tad thin on the scouting front, albeit Carr is well-connected. Arsenal's scouting network was more extensive I think with a far less restricted remit.

I agree, I wasn't saying it was as good as Arsenal's but more that you had confidence in it to replace the player that was leaving, which was something you felt with them back then.

Aye, fairy nuff. I just hope he doesn't get hung out to dry when the inevitable duffer is signed because, lets be honest, no scout is infallible. That said, the club definitely seem to be doing their homework by running the rule over players over a long period of time. Manc-mag made a good point a while ago that it must help when recruiting players if they know you've had a long, hard look at them and aren't just trying to sign them on the back of a youtube compilation.

This does my napper in.

Did Shepherd and Hall not disgrace the club on a couple of occcaisions?

Did Shepherd and Hall make a loss or break even in their dealings with NUFC, did they do it out of the goodness of their heart?

Was the club and team not in a shit state or heading there when MA took over?

Did we win owt under Shepherd and Hall?

Yes the Shepherd / Hall era was absoloutley brilliant with Keegan in place, but did Shepherd and Hall not piss Keegan off?

Did Shepherd and Hall not employ Dogleash and Sourmush and others?

Did Shepherd and Hall not hock the club by spending Sky money before we got it?

Did Shepherd and Hall not piss off fans ie bond holders and others by moving their seats?

Did Hall not stab SHepherd in the back in the sale to MA, does Hall not take some of the blame for having MA in situ?

It was not all roses and light but it was a magic carpet ride compared to what we were used to. Fantastic times.

Now is a new era we are more frugal, lining MA's pockets more like paying him back he has not made a profit out of the club yet.

Am I enjoying it? Yes at the moment, since the start of the Championship campaign will it last? I don't know so I am making the most of it.

Ashley i fucking hate, but had on I do not know him, never spoken to him. must be the Wise thing, Kinnear, the name change other bits of shit I dunno

Just fucking enjoy and then if it goes tits up people can bleat but please do not keep trying to spoil it for others.

Not a super fan but I go to all home games (since 69) the people I know nearly all to a man have the same opinion as myself.

This does my napper in.

Did Shepherd and Hall make a loss or break even in their dealings with NUFC, did they do it out of the goodness of their heart?

Yes the Shepherd / Hall era was absoloutley brilliant with Keegan in place, but did Shepherd and Hall not piss Keegan off?

Did Shepherd and Hall not piss off fans ie bond holders and others by moving their seats?

Did Hall not stab SHepherd in the back in the sale to MA, does Hall not take some of the blame for having MA in situ?

It was not all roses and light but it was a magic carpet ride compared to what we were used to. Fantastic times.

Now is a new era we are more frugal, lining MA's pockets more like paying him back he has not made a profit out of the club yet.

Am I enjoying it? Yes at the moment, since the start of the Championship campaign will it last? I don't know so I am making the most of it.

Ashley i fucking hate, but had on I do not know him, never spoken to him. must be the Wise thing, Kinnear, the name change other bits of shit I dunno

Just fucking enjoy and then if it goes tits up people can bleat but please do not keep trying to spoil it for others.

Not a super fan but I go to all home games (since 69) the people I know nearly all to a man have the same opinion as myself.

Well said

The prosecution rests m'lud

I can't imagine one sentence that someone could make regarding this, that hasn't been said too many times for me want to discuss again.

spot on though I did take the bait. Nothing said is going to change my opinion.

I can't imagine one sentence that someone could make regarding this, that hasn't been said too many times for me want to discuss again.

I'm waiting for Leazes to refute/critique Shinton's post.

He won't like, the thread will sink like a stone now.

Great post Bobby. Best and most relevant bit was simply "Just fucking enjoy and then if it goes tits up people can bleat but please do not keep trying to spoil it for others."

Honestly, it really seems as if Leazes begrudges anyone even remotely enjoying what is a decent, good spirited squad doing well in the strongest league in the world. Yes, we won't go back to the days of the mid 90s or early 2000s with the current ownership, but I sincerely doubt we would have under Shepherd the way things were going either.

This does my napper in.

Great post.

I'd rather sit 300 miles away wishing the team well without giving the fcb money than end up posting smileys when equalisers cost us points and places because it proves me "right".

If we do fail to capitalise on the good start and end up say 11th I'd be disappointed and the thought of anyone standing there nudging his mates and saying "see, told you so" would just highten the sadness

I'd rather sit 300 miles away wishing the team well without giving the fcb money than end up posting smileys when equalisers cost us points and places because it proves me "right".

If we do fail to capitalise on the good start and end up say 11th I'd be disappointed and the thought of anyone standing there nudging his mates and saying "see, told you so" would just highten the sadness

That requires the people concerned to have mates.

LM wouldn't be to say "told you so" for 11th. His view is Ashley will never improve on 12th.

what did you say he wanted to do with the money AT THE TIME, when you said "this is the first time he has had money to spend". I repeat, what was it that you were hoping he would do with the money before the transfer deadline, that would make you say you would revise your views on his ambitions for the club ?

Edit.

I didn't hear you say before the deadline, that the Carroll cash would go to meeting costs ie a selling club, for a club that had the 14th biggest revenues in world football when he bought the club. What has he done to erode that ?

I hoped he would spend it, that said Ba for nowt (in transfer fee) and him reducing his exposure (if he has, as I suspect) as opposed to Ruiz for £10 Mill, for example, is perfectly fine, in fact it's even better.

so what about the other 30m or whatever ? Where is that ? In view of the fact they picked up Ba for a good fee and he looks an extremely good buy and footballer, don't you agree that other positions could have been strengthened using this foolproof scouting system employed, which is what a progressive club would do, especially if they had confidence in their scouts ?

LM wouldn't be to say "told you so" for 11th. His view is Ashley will never improve on 12th.

my view is that anything higher than that this season will be down to Pardew being a good manager, which I said years ago on NO, but in the long term the setup of the club is such that 12th will be considered success, as indeed indicated by Mike Ashleys sidekick who says the aim is 10th. In the real world, when Alan Pardew has gone, anything but another such good appointment, and the team will be struggling and relegation fodder.

This is longer term, than a dozen games or so. It would appear that some people [not you] are more gullible than ever.

This for a club who pulled in the 14th biggest revenues in world football when Mike Ashley bought the club.

which only goes to show how absurd people like you are, to suggest such a stupid thing. I lived further away from Newcastle than you do at the moment for years and it never stopped me going and hoping the team would win every week.

What's your excuse ? Or do you go back down south when we lose and say to yourself "at least the books are in order" while sitting on the train ?

This does my napper in.

Great post.

shame you don't give opinions like that, right or wrong.