The No. 10.

Park Life

I didn't 'appropriate' him, I jumped in when he was getting battered outside the pub by savages. :)

Through the long dark winter me and Jonny held a candle for him and a little croissant and warm milk by the fireplace. :lol:

Cabaye today: "Ben Arfa is different class...That's it."

You had a lot less time for Pardew though and wanted Ben arfa to put in a transfer request.

His deft trout tickling approach to Ben arfa that so infuriated for so long seems to have got the very best from the lad.

I've eased off on Pards cause he's done what most have been calling for: more on the ground and HBA starting.

If he'd been doing that earlier and not playing melon half a season I wouldn't have started nibbling at him. Hatem is older and that has also worked out in our favour. We are where we are on merit and I haven't hesitated in giving the manager credit for that....I was wrong in the sense that I underestimated Pards game view (his team awareness) and his ability to build a kind of togetherness and get the best out of average players: The sign of a good manager. Clearly a manager who is developing and willing to learn. He has put his ego aside which used to be an issue a decade ago.

I'd still like us to stick to a 433 but as long as we keep winning that is moot.

For once things have come together for the club so let's celebrate it and hope for the best.

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The french seem to have a liking for him..

Aye, when he was rumoured as signing i was astonished that the player considered by many in France as the most talented player the country had produced since Zidane, was potentially signing for us. Everyone has an opinion on him and a lot of french fans think he is an idiot and will never amount to anything. An equal amount consider him a magical talent who has not fulfilled his potential.

The hyper critical mindset of the french fan created a lot of pressure around him when he was younger. In my experience, the antagonistic style of the french and the way they treat language means that heated words and things said in anger are treated more seriously and felt more acutely. His trouble came from his mouth and attitude to authority which was why the move to England made sense, just from the fact he was much less likely that his mouth was going to get him into trouble. The move to England has been about much more than that, the change in culture and how people treat him, the injury and the need to think more about his game in the heat of the premiership has led him to improve his game enormously. Consistency was always his issue at Lyon and Marseille for whatever reason (selection and attitude as much as his performances) and it seems that he is finding his rhythm in this league and playing a consistent role. That has given him the platform to produce the stunning displays of recent games. Massive credit to the player for coming back from the injury and staying patient but massive credit to Pardew who has apparently done what 3 or 4 french speaking coaches couldnt do before him.

Same with my Spanish mate here, they are hyper critical of player performances and good technique has to be a given. :lol:

In all honesty I still don't recall any criticism of Ben Arfa that was particularly unfair. Games were passing him by earlier in the season and he was giving the ball away often in his eagerness to be the one who produced the spark. He's settled into it much more now, and it's what we've all been waiting for/hoping for to see stuff like this...

Opta - Hatem Ben Arfa today became the only player in the PL this season to make 7+ dribbles and complete all of them. Diego.

Edited by Happy Face

He has always been a run of games away from being unplayable, thats the crux of the matter for me. Some people seem to operate with a double set of standards along with a tendency to use his performances to back up pardew regardless.

Plays shit: This is why he cant get games

plays well: Right of pardew to ease him in, now we see the real HBA.

Coming back from an injury and being out of shape / not match-fit, there is only one remedy: and it aint the bench.

Nani was dogshite for the first season or two but Ferguson prevailed because he saw something in the boy. Ben Arfa is of the same ilk and players like ryan taylor and ubershite should never have kept him out.

Its been a great season so far, but he should have been playing week in and week out from october/november on, and nothing will change my view on that matter.

In all honesty I still don't recall any criticism of Ben Arfa that was particularly unfair. Games were passing him by earlier in the season and he was giving the ball away often in his eagerness to be the one who produced the spark. He's settled into it much more now, and it's what we've all been waiting for/hoping for to see stuff like this...

Opta - Hatem Ben Arfa today became the only player in the PL this season to make 7+ dribbles and complete all of them. Diego.

Agreed. He was awful when he had the run in the team after Christmas. We've had to be patient but I don't think I ever doubted the talent was there, just the temprament wasn't. Seems to have clicked with him and we're feeling the benefit.

We often sit deep to defend with our central mid set up the way it is. That's been hugely important to us this season so I'm not knocking it at all-not losing games has to be what comes first as we build. When we change things to push the opposition back a bit though and the ball to B Arfa is a simple one on the half way line that he's collecting in his stride, he only has to beat one man and he can be on the edge of the opponents area right down the middle of the pitch. It's phenomenal.

He's the only player in the Prem that can do it. Silva (who is a supreme talent) is a left to right slalomer who pulls opponents out of position for the clever pass in between them. Others are million mile an hour wing merchants (Bellamy) that dont actually have beat a man with the ball, but ultimately need a striker making the run for them. Running right down the middle of the park, directly on goal is pretty much impossible at this level and not even attempted. ...this lad is doing it as his first thought route to goal.

When he has quiet games his contribution will be zero or worse, but he has won matches for us we otherwise wouldnt have won. The team can be not firing 100% but the beauty is he only has to be playing his own game to give us a chance. It doesn't matter how the team's overall game is panning out at the time. Bellamy was the same in that regard.

The goals have been borderline ridiculous as a spectacle, but they're elevated even higher by virtue of the fact they've been key goals too. ie not show goals when we're 3 up and coasting, but goals that the result has depended on.

When his names on the sheet it's going to get to a stage where half of the opposition's game plan is going to be about obsessing over who's sacrificed for the day to pick him up and just trying to nullify his threat generally. That's a fucking massive advantage as it'll frequently mean their preparation will be inadequate in other areas and we're starting to amass players that can exploit that.

At it's purest, it's just fear. Teams are going to start fearing playing us with this kid in the team in that forward line-and if you've won the psychological battle before the first balls kicked the fucking world's your oyster.

Edited by manc-mag

Agreed. He was awful when he had the run in the team after Christmas. We've had to be patient but I don't think I ever doubted the talent was there, just the temprament wasn't. Seems to have clicked with him and we're feeling the benefit.

absolutely. we all wanted ben arfa to start because we were all aware of what he was capable of. but he wasn't doing it on the pitch so pardew was right to drop him. he was giving the ball away far too cheaply, not doing enough work off the ball. now he busts a gut for the team and seems to know when to pass and when to dribble. he also seems far better off playing the more advanced role in a 433 than he did wide right in the 442.

it was galling seeing him on the bench while the likes of obertan and ryan taylor started ahead oh him but i reckon pardew has played it to perfection tbh. he used the media to criticise the player to let him know when he wasn't doing it on the pitch and showering him with compliments when he got it right. he's got a supremely talented but potentially temperamental frenchie playing out of his skin in for him. kudos to rapey

Edited by Dr Gloom

We often sit deep to defend with our central mid set up the way it is. That's been hugely important to us this season so I'm not knocking it at all-not losing games has to be what comes first as we build. When we change things to push the opposition back a bit though and the ball to B Arfa is a simple one on the half way line that he's collecting in his stride, he only has to beat one man and he can be on the edge of the opponents area right down the middle of the pitch. It's phenomenal.

He's the only player in the Prem that can do it. Silva (who is a supreme talent) is a left to right slalomer who pulls opponents out of position for the clever pass in between them. Others are million mile an hour wing merchants (Bellamy) that dont actually have beat a man with the ball, but ultimately need a striker making the run for them. Running right down the middle of the park, directly on goal is pretty much impossible at this level and not even attempted. ...this lad is doing it as his first thought route to goal.

When he has quiet games his contribution will be zero or worse, but he has won matches for us we otherwise wouldnt have won. The team can be not firing 100% but the beauty is he only has to be playing his own game to give us a chance. It doesn't matter how the team's overall game is panning out at the time. Bellamy was the same in that regard.

The goals have been borderline ridiculous as a spectacle, but they're elevated even higher by virtue of the fact they've been key goals too. ie not show goals when we're 3 up and coasting, but goals that the result has depended on.

When his names on the sheet it's going to get to a stage where half of the opposition's game plan is going to be about obsessing over who's sacrificed for the day to pick him up and just trying to nullify his threat generally. That's a fucking massive advantage as it'll frequently mean their preparation will be inadequate in other areas and we're starting to amass players that can exploit that.

At it's purest, it's just fear. Teams are going to start fearing playing us with this kid in the team in that forward line-and if you've won the psychological battle before the first balls kicked the fucking world's your oyster.

good read that mancy old bean

absolutely. we all wanted ben arfa to start because we were all aware of what he was capable of. but he wasn't doing it on the pitch so pardew was right to drop him. he was giving the ball away far too cheaply, not doing enough work off the ball. now he busts a gut for the team and seems to know when to pass and when to dribble. he also seems far better off playing the more advanced role in a 433 than he did wide right in the 442.

it was galling seeing him on the bench while the likes of obertan and ryan taylor started ahead oh him but i reckon pardew has played it to perfection tbh. he used the media to criticise the player to let him know when he wasn't doing it on the pitch and showering him with compliments when he got it right. he's got a supremely talented but potentially temperamental frenchie playing out of his skin in for him. kudos to rapey

Love this post coital Pardew mystification.

Think Hatem just needed pitch time not 20/30 min here and there. Those are the facts.

The Hatem quotes after the Swansea game were that of a player desperate to play good football not a player being man managed to perfection. Again that is a FACT.

Edited by Park Life

:lol: Coming out fighting, even capitalised the word fact. Oooooh.

:lol:

It was clear at the time Pards wanted Obertan to succeed even when it was clear to all of us it was to the detriment of the side.

Edited by Park Life

The man management of Ben Arfa hasnt been perfect, it has been rank. Luckily he kept his head down and took his chance, which was the only way it was going to work for him here.

I am jubilant the way this ended but to call it "perfect man management is roflworthy". We kept arguably one of the finest player in england on the bench for half a year in order to see if obertan would come good.

If he was a dog he should have been taken behind a shed and shot after 5 matches.

Well Parky, I'm crediting the manager for this one. For all his obvious natural talent, Ben arfa looked lost at times earlier in the season, despite getting a run of games and him insisting he was match fit. It was all the more frustrating when knackers like obertan were keeping him out of the side. Part of that might be down to him playing a role he's more suited too now we've switched to 433. But a lot of it is down to the work he's doing when not in possession and his decision making when on the ball. There's no disputing his natural ability - that was never in question. But now he's playing the way the manager wants him to.

I've been hugely impressed with pardew this season. The way he's got former donkeys like perch and Ryan Taylor playing with previously unseen positional awareness is down to his coaching. Getting a talented but volatile frenchie adapting his game to the englush system and playing for him is down to his man management. FACT.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Ben Arfa is the most technically gifted player we've had since Ginola. The only reason we have is because of something the above illustrates perfectly. He's a mouthy little mug, but he's our mug and he should be the first name on the team sheet every week. Our present alternative Best doesn't even work hard even though he's shit. Unbelievable the negativity thrown at Benny on this thread though. This Norwegian kid does my tits in.

Stand by everything here, down to the Norwegian bit. See Norwegian teams they make Wimbledon 1988 look like Barcelona now. Everything long ball, we had Charles Hughes, they had Egil Olsen, and that's their philosophy and also why Norway will never produce a technically gifted player like Ben Arfa.

Embarrassing for those thinking that Ben Arfa wouldn't need some time on the pitch after returning from an horrific injury at the hands of foul play only to be reinjured again at the hands of foul play all before he's even had he chance to settle in a completely new league. Not going to regain any confidence sitting on the bench.

Ben Arfa was struggling for form at the start of the season but at the same time he was getting a lot of unfair criticism.

He clearly wasn't anywhere near full fitness, which is why Obertan was a guaranteed starter in his place. Obertan had had the benefits of a preseason behind him, whereas Ben Arfa was overcoming a horrific injury (one that De Jong should have been given a lengthy suspension for I might add) and never had chance to settle with the team. Nor did Obertan to an extent, he arrived fairly late on in the transfer window.

This is why now when you see Ben Arfa start to trick his way past players, he actually has the pace and close control to do so. Before he had lost a yard of pace and it showed, often dribbling the ball out when under no pressure. His touch had gone to shite because he simply was still battling back after a career-threatening injury. This was all whilst he had a crushing weight of expectation and criticism on his shoulders from the extremes of the Ben Acolytes and the HF bully Brigade. Pardew was right to drop him as he would only get the boo boys on his back, which given the temperamental past of his would not have seen him begin to make a success of himself at the club.

Now he's had the best part of a season to get back to full fitness, gel with his team mates and better adjust to life in the Premier League and it really shows. He's putting in all-action displays and alongside Cisse is currently the most dangerous player in the league. We all knew he had the ability to be a stand out player in the prem, but you can't say Pardew hasn't had anything to do with getting the best out of his man.

I'm chuffed, it's a joy to watch him play and I hope he'll repay the faith shown in him and stay with us. I can imagine there are a fair few players who would love to play on the same side as Bafra, and the easier it is to attract the kind of signings we've been making in the past 2 seasons then the more likely the club is going to progress.

Stevie's spot on about saying he's the most technically gifted player that we've signed since Ginola.

I'm saying that because I said it ages ago. ;)

Honestly, I believe this lad has the potential to be fantastic for us, when we're looking at new attacking signings now, we need to be looking at players who fit around Ben Arfa, as the team needs to be built around him.

I definitely think we need some more quality out wide, in particular wide players that have good movement, as we're lacking that at the moment.

:lol: I did too, I'm not copying off you, we'll put it down to two cultured minds.

See just 2 years ago, they thought Benny would end up at one of your elite 8 clubs eventually, we are lucky to have him. Was it Man City away he beat 3 men in a yard space with one turn, best piece of skill I've seen in years for us, if we can't win anything that is exactly the type of player I am happy paying my season ticket money to watch.

Aye, and this when mugs were slating him. Our current stature, he is too good for us, pleasure to have him.

Drag squad number onto Ben Arfa

Drag Ben Arfa into starting line up

Select "Tell player you are very pleased with his contribution" from dropdown menu

Drag Obertan to reserves

Why couldn't Pardew just have done this!!?

Worth noting the defensive effort that he's been putting in as well. He's actually made some good tackles in the last couple of games.