Newcastle v Swansea

hostile_statue

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a positive note it was nice seeing Santon in the side. Gutierrez actually not having to play 2 positions freed him up. Showed how shite Raylor is, despite the occasional thunderbolt.

Yup, Santon was very good, that should mean the end of Raylor in the starting XI no doubt.

Agree about best, Santon and Ba having a great game. We should have finished the game off first half. It feels as bad as a loss this. The only reason Barfa isn't playing must be a fall out with Pardew. There is no logical explanation otherwise. Something has happened behind closed doors. You could see the look of amazement on Ben Arfa's face as Vidic and Sammiobi were coming on. He either needs to resolve whatever is wrong with him and Pardew or just get out of this soap opera club. This is the sort of bullshit that happens only at Newcastle.

Agree about best, Santon and Ba having a great game. We should have finished the game off first half. It feels as bad as a loss this. The only reason Barfa isn't playing must be a fall out with Pardew. There is no logical explanation otherwise. Something has happened behind closed doors. You could see the look of amazement on Ben Arfa's face as Vidic and Sammiobi were coming on. He either needs to resolve whatever is wrong with him and Pardew or just get out of this soap opera club. This is the sort of bullshit that happens only at Newcastle.

He may have a knock?

Really disappointed by this one, we should have comfortably beaten this Swansea side. Obertan needs dropped to the reserve teams bench he's seriously that bad. Santon looked composed and it really let Jonas attack most the game, Colo is class, Perch actually played decent I thought despite not having much to do. Ba is quality and Best played well alongside him I'd of really fancied us to win if Ben arfa had played over Obertan, even Sammy gives us options down the right.

The only reason I doubt Ben Arfa had a knock is it wouldn't make sense to have him on the bench if he was unable to play.

Edited by Howay

I've seen some disappointing games and results in my time and this one has to be high on my list.

I really have to question Pardoo now.

(1) Why didn't he play BenArfa at some point in the game?

(2) Why did he leave Best on the pitch so long?

(3) Why did he leave Obertan on the pitch so long?

(4) Why does he wait so long before he makes changes?

(5) What does he see in Perch that I don't?

With Colo and Tiote back this was one of the most winnable games we didn't win. Not happy with one point, it should have been three.

In the last 20 minutes it wouldn't have surprised me if they had nicked it. :angry2:

He may have a knock?

If he is injured, what is he doing on the bench? Even by the look of amazement on his own face, there is nothing wrong with him.

I can see why Pardew didn't bring Ben Arfa and I think its purely tactical from Pardew's perspective at least. He wouldn't be a sub if he had a knock. What's the point?

He brought Shola on for Best instead of Ben Arfa because he obviously wanted to keep two out and out strikers up front. Would have been better if we had a different type of striker to bring on but we don't so Shola is the best option. Then that's essentially it for Ben Arfa he's not getting on after that.

Pardew obviously doesn't see Ben Arfa as a winger so once he replaces Obertan, who should have been replaced earlier since he went missing completely in the second half, its not going to be Ben Arfa coming on in his place since Pardew clearly considers Ben Arfa to be unsuited for the wide role due to his limited defensive abilities and unwillingness to track back. I'll get back to this.

And he didn't want to leave Cabaye alone in the midfield against a team that plays deep possession football so there is no way he can replace Tiote with Ben Arfa. Vuckic is not the ideal option to replace Tiote there but injuries limit the options.

Of the three substitutes not replacing Obertan earlier with Ben Arfa is the only mistake in my opinion. From Pardew's perspective its perfectly fine if he doesn't see Ben Arfa as capable of playing a wide role in the system he is deploying. I don't agree I think Ben Arfa would be just as effective wide as central and could certainly do a similar amount defensively as Obertan with the added benefit of not losing the ball as often as Obertan and contributing more in attack both down the flanks and through drifting inside on occasion.

So I don't think there is any need to wanna slit Pardew's throat over this. He only made one mistake and its subjective as to whether that is a mistake or not. Personally I think it is, but I don't know as much as him so I am not going to go off half-cocked demanding the guy gets sacked, or is shit, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred, elected to public office or annointed with snake balm and wheeled over the Tyne on a Nero's golden chariot. Get a grip.

Edited by toonotl

Other than some questionable subs and an unlucky frustrating result, quite a few positives, Ba looked excellent not so much in the second half, but was dangerous whenever he got the ball.

Team looked much much stronger and more comfortable on the ball with both colo and tiote back. Colo made perch look good too, he put in some good tackles, didn't really put a foot wrong all game. Santon completely owned that left flank, good in the air, just looked all rund solid and dangerous.

Best combines with Ba much better than Shola does in my opinion.

On the other hand, Cabaye's deliveries from set pieces were generally woeful, really poor deliveries, and now he's out on wednesday.

We have a major problem on both wings though, neither Jonas or Obertan have any end product, both one in the same really, jonas just releases the ball quicker. Ba had no support when he was getting ball's into the box.

Overall just very very frustrating.

I've seen some disappointing games and results in my time and this one has to be high on my list.

I really have to question Pardoo now.

(1) Why didn't he play BenArfa at some point in the game?

(2) Why did he leave Best on the pitch so long?

(3) Why did he leave Obertan on the pitch so long?

(4) Why does he wait so long before he makes changes?

(5) What does he see in Perch that I don't?

With Colo and Tiote back this was one of the most winnable games we didn't win. Not happy with one point, it should have been three.

In the last 20 minutes it wouldn't have surprised me if they had nicked it. :angry2:

We weren't struggling though. I don't think we were as desperate for subs as you make out.

Yes it may well have aided us but I can understand why Pardew didn't want to changes things around too much. I personally wish he'd made changes sooner and I guess he has his reasons for not playing Ben Arfa. I think some of you always assume the worst when it comes to him.

Other than some questionable subs and an unlucky frustrating result, quite a few positives, Ba looked excellent not so much in the second half, but was dangerous whenever he got the ball.

Team looked much much stronger and more comfortable on the ball with both colo and tiote back. Colo made perch look good too, he put in some good tackles, didn't really put a foot wrong all game. Santon completely owned that left flank, good in the air, just looked all rund solid and dangerous.

Best combines with Ba much better than Shola does in my opinion.

On the other hand, Cabaye's deliveries from set pieces were generally woeful, really poor deliveries, and now he's out on wednesday.

We have a major problem on both wings though, neither Jonas or Obertan have any end product, both one in the same really, jonas just releases the ball quicker. Ba had no support when he was getting ball's into the box.

Overall just very very frustrating.

Re Cabaye's set-pieces: was a mix of them being poor and them being well defended.

I thought his passing game was fine today.

I still can't quite believe we didn't win that. We had 17 shots to their 2, 9 corners to their 1, and 60% of possession.

So I don't think there is any need to wanna slit Pardew's throat over this. He only made one mistake and its subjective as to whether that is a mistake or not. Personally I think it is, but I don't know as much as him so I am not going to go off half-cocked demanding the guy gets sacked, or is shit, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred, elected to public office or annointed with snake balm and wheeled over the Tyne on a Nero's golden chariot. Get a grip.

Not sure who this is aimed at, but I just want to clarify I've never said Pardew is shit our should be sacked, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred. I just can't get into my head why Pardew didn't bring on Ben Arfa today.

We're not the first side to be frustrated against Swansea at least.

Build on the positives for the next league game and we'll be laughing - and hopefully whatever issue has kept Bafra on the bench today won't affect Pardew putting the best team out that he can next time.

So first half we knock the ball around on the floor, Ba is unplayable with his back to goal as he has 5 or 6 good chances in the space of 45 minutes.

2nd half we start to lump it long for some strange reason. Then instead of bringing on Ben Arfa for Best to get the ball down and play we bring on Shola and spend even more time punting it long! Shola was fucking hopeless as well.

Pardew's subs are getting worse

Its a shame cos with Colo and Tiote back we looked a good team in the first half