Newcastle v Swansea

hostile_statue

So I don't think there is any need to wanna slit Pardew's throat over this. He only made one mistake and its subjective as to whether that is a mistake or not. Personally I think it is, but I don't know as much as him so I am not going to go off half-cocked demanding the guy gets sacked, or is shit, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred, elected to public office or annointed with snake balm and wheeled over the Tyne on a Nero's golden chariot. Get a grip.

Not sure who this is aimed at, but I just want to clarify I've never said Pardew is shit our should be sacked, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred. I just can't get into my head why Pardew didn't bring on Ben Arfa today.

Not you bud.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to put it to down to today just being 'one of those days' but we have to get maximum points from the next 2 matches. We'll do very very well to get anything out of the 2 after that.

I don't have a problem with how we're playing but the results are starting to worry me. If we don't get enough out of the next 2 and struggle against Man Utd and Liverpool we could go as many as 9 games without a win. The games after that are winnable for weeks on end tbh, only Spurs away worries me.

Other than some questionable subs and an unlucky frustrating result, quite a few positives, Ba looked excellent not so much in the second half, but was dangerous whenever he got the ball.

Team looked much much stronger and more comfortable on the ball with both colo and tiote back. Colo made perch look good too, he put in some good tackles, didn't really put a foot wrong all game. Santon completely owned that left flank, good in the air, just looked all rund solid and dangerous.

Best combines with Ba much better than Shola does in my opinion.

On the other hand, Cabaye's deliveries from set pieces were generally woeful, really poor deliveries, and now he's out on wednesday.

We have a major problem on both wings though, neither Jonas or Obertan have any end product, both one in the same really, jonas just releases the ball quicker. Ba had no support when he was getting ball's into the box.

Overall just very very frustrating.

Re Cabaye's set-pieces: was a mix of them being poor and them being well defended.

I thought his passing game was fine today.

I still can't quite believe we didn't win that. We had 17 shots to their 2, 9 corners to their 1, and 60% of possession.

Oh aye, his passing was excellent as per usual, I just thought that as well as the swansea defenders winning it in the air a lot, that the majority of balls that Cabaye put in were in bad positions, well away from our main threats in the box.

He was dropping his free kicks deeper than the far post time after time, which is where we usually have S.Taylor putting them back across the goal. Just something that needs working on at the training ground.

So I don't think there is any need to wanna slit Pardew's throat over this. He only made one mistake and its subjective as to whether that is a mistake or not. Personally I think it is, but I don't know as much as him so I am not going to go off half-cocked demanding the guy gets sacked, or is shit, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred, elected to public office or annointed with snake balm and wheeled over the Tyne on a Nero's golden chariot. Get a grip.

Not sure who this is aimed at, but I just want to clarify I've never said Pardew is shit our should be sacked, or that Ben Arfa should be transferred. I just can't get into my head why Pardew didn't bring on Ben Arfa today.

Aeris

Frustrating game that we could have won by 4 or 5 on another day.

Second half was crying out for some trickery and HBA I would have thought was the logical move when Best went off.

81 minutes was too late for the other two subs.

Have to think if those three are getting on ahead of HBA at home to Swansea, then his time here must be coming to an end. Can't think of any other reason tbh.

Can. I just put out there as well that I'm not convinced by Young Ameobi yet.

Roll on Wednesday!

I'm going to put it to down to today just being 'one of those days' but we have to get maximum points from the next 2 matches. We'll do very very well to get anything out of the 2 after that.

I don't have a problem with how we're playing but the results are starting to worry me. If we don't get enough out of the next 2 and struggle against Man Utd and Liverpool we could go as many as 9 games without a win. The games after that are winnable for weeks on end tbh, only Spurs away worries me.

Agree with this. If we get 6 from the next two (which is very gettable imo, West Brom are decent away from home but I'd still fancy us and Bolton are woeful wherever) and get through the cup I won't mind the two games against L'pool and Man U returnign zero points.

This is just one of those results that we have to remember how we dominated, and keep in mind the context of the result.

Perch had a decent game.

He didn't do anything.

He won a fair few headers and cut a couple of important through balls.

Credit where its due.

Aye, perch didn't put a foot wrong. Distributed the ball well, put in a few good tackles too. Can hardly say he did nowt.

Agree with this. If we get 6 from the next two (which is very gettable imo, West Brom are decent away from home but I'd still fancy us and Bolton are woeful wherever) and get through the cup I won't mind the two games against L'pool and Man U returnign zero points.

This is just one of those results that we have to remember how we dominated, and keep in mind the context of the result.

I'm not scared of the Man U game. They'll be without Vidic, and given his injury record its possible Ferdinand will pick up a knock over the next few fixtures. If we play like we did before Jonas got sent off at Old Trafford we could certainly nick a point or all three.

I agree Perch did OK today. Playing along side Colo, he seemed a bit more confident. Agreed he didn't have a whole lot to do, but when he did have the ball or needed to put in a tackle or defend, he did it. Credit where its due. Not getting too excited though. Didn't Obertan have at least one decent game with us at some point?!

Saying on the radio that Man Utd had two reps at the game. One likely to run the rule over us for when we play them in a couple of weeks. But that the second was SAFs brother who looks/scouts players for him.

There you go, just feeding that to the doom-sayers. :panic:

Fair point JTM, but it's Man U. I was watching Football Focus and Jason Manford was doing the Predictions and he said even when City were romping away to an historic victory at Old Trafford he still couldn't relax

Missed opportunity today as Swansea were so there for the taking but we just didn't step up a gear and take the 3 points. Good to have a clean sheet with Colo back and pure class as ever, with Perch to be fair alongside him playing well. Santon i liked the look of, but it wasn't one of our better games.

Also Pardew cocked the subs up as he left it too late and then didnt do enough. The first sub should have been by 65 mins as we had gone of the boil and weren't troubling them and really it probably shoul have been two subs at that time. One for Best who had offered little/not had much service and one for Obertan who was infuriating as ever and hiding at times as well which is unacceptable.

Good first half performance but a very average second half one. Big talking point of course again HBA not getting a game, utterly disgusting that! Playing Swansea and then on top of that not even subbing him when it was clear they were here just for the draw and hanging on. Love what you've done this season so far Pards but its becoming painfully obvious that you are stubborn and unwilling to shuffle up things which is starting to cost us!

A worrying trend under Pardew is that we never seem to be able to kill off a game. We play decently in the first half usually (today, Stoke, Blackburn), or when we're chasing the game (Arsenal last season), but when we have a lead and need to put it beyond doubt we just can't seem to do it.

I thought today was probably Obertan's best game.

Was still poor. Several times when ball went out for throw in he just had his back to the ball - didn't want it. Has poor end product - cannot fathom why he starts over Ben Arfa who is by far our most gifted player. The game was crying for him to come on today but chose Shola over him. Beggars belief.

On a brighter note I thought Santon looks a class act - considering how much he has played this season he was excellent.

Was still poor. Several times when ball went out for throw in he just had his back to the ball - didn't want it. Has poor end product - cannot fathom why he starts over Ben Arfa who is by far our most gifted player. The game was crying for him to come on today but chose Shola over him. Beggars belief.

On a brighter note I thought Santon looks a class act - considering how much he has played this season he was excellent.

Tbf thats not on him. It seems that Pardew wants the fullbacks taking all the throws. Jonas doesn't take throws either, and neither didnt Barton last year if irc.

A worrying trend under Pardew is that we never seem to be able to kill off a game. We play decently in the first half usually (today, Stoke, Blackburn), or when we're chasing the game (Arsenal last season), but when we have a lead and need to put it beyond doubt we just can't seem to do it.

Blackburn we did.

Wolves and West Ham last season we did.

Tbf thats not on him. It seems that Pardew wants the fullbacks taking all the throws. Jonas doesn't take throws either, and neither didnt Barton last year if irc.

I mean when Santon went to take the throw Obertan kept having his back to the ball - not wanting it.

Blackburn we did.

Wolves and West Ham last season we did.

If I recall in the second half against Blackburn we weren't as strong as we were in the first half. I'll give you Wolves, but West Ham I would still consider that Hughton's team to an extent.