The Ceasefire

Guest CabayeAye

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do people cope with information they dont want to absorb in the real world. When you walk past an advert, do you have to stop and read every word of copy? When you see a timetable at the train station, do you have to read every line of text in front of you. I just dont understand how you can cope with the modern world if people's inability to filter information is this under-developed.

I've said this before, i have my hand on the mouse, eyes left, see name/avatar, consider poster irrelevant, continue scolling, people engage with this poster, accept my initial judgement, keep scrolling past replies, read some other posts, arrive at end of thread, new post in thread, more engagement and discussion considered irrelevant, scroll back out, consider time spent on exercise in overall scheme of things, if at this point you are annoyed about your time being wasted, try to rationalise in context of whether any of your time on here is anything but wasted. If time being wasted is your issue, log off. Otherwise, the seconds taken to scorll past what you dont want to read should not be an issue for you.

I honestly think if you dont get this, its immaturity. I know that makes me sounds like a twat but am confident its true. Thats all i'm saying on the mattter ever again.

Why not just agree to disagree? This argument has went on for months in various threads and it literally kills any good debates that get going...

Can't believe no one thought of that. Could you describe for me in a little more detail this concept of 'agree to disagree'? Please include pictures/flowchart, I'm not much of a reader.

Edited by toonotl

How do people cope with information they dont want to absorb in the real world. When you walk past an advert, do you have to stop and read every word of copy? When you see a timetable at the train station, do you have to read every line of text in front of you. I just dont understand how you can cope with the modern world if people's inability to filter information is this under-developed.

I've said this before, i have my hand on the mouse, eyes left, see name/avatar, consider poster irrelevant, continue scolling, people engage with this poster, accept my initial judgement, keep scrolling past replies, read some other posts, arrive at end of thread, new post in thread, more engagement and discussion considered irrelevant, scroll back out, consider time spent on exercise in overall scheme of things, if at this point you are annoyed about your time being wasted, try to rationalise in context of whether any of your time on here is anything but wasted. If time being wasted is your issue, log off. Otherwise, the seconds taken to scorll past what you dont want to read should not be an issue for you.

I honestly think if you dont get this, its immaturity. I know that makes me sounds like a twat but am confident its true. Thats all i'm saying on the mattter ever again.

Thats all when and good, but when it gets to the stage where most football threads are being derailed causing the majority of other posters not to even bother getting involved, then you have a toxic situation.

Ive been around since 2008 and its the same few having the same argument. Keep it to one thread.

I agree. I've tried to give people the benefit of my knowledge of the club, they seem to accep it when its about players, managers, away games etc, but not when its about the politics, for some strange reason.

Anyway, I will let them live in their own delusion now until it all becomes crystal clear, unfortunately.

If people want to keep things "all in one thread", how about posts arse-licking Mike Ashley also being all in one thread ?

The irony and hypocrisy of some posts in this thread is astounding, and that's the last I'm saying on it too.

Edited by LeazesMag

Thats all when and good, but when it gets to the stage where most football threads are being derailed causing the majority of other posters not to even bother getting involved, then you have a toxic situation.

Ive been around since 2008 and its the same few having the same argument. Keep it to one thread.

If people want to keep things "all in one thread", how about posts arse-licking Mike Ashley also being all in one thread ?

just to be sure, could you clarify what qualifies as "arse-liking Mike Ashley"?

Why not just agree to disagree? This argument has went on for months in various threads and it literally kills any good debates that get going...

Can't believe no one thought of that. Could you describe for me in a little more detail this concept of 'agree to disagree'? Please include pictures/flowchart, I'm not much of a reader.

Fair point, I don't mean I have to read everything in a thread, or get annoyed when I see certain posters, its easy enough to skim past stuff you recognise as the same old guff. Though threads with a decent title that could lead to some good crack inevitably descend into the same topic that's all.

I agree. I've tried to give people the benefit of my knowledge of the club, they seem to accep it when its about players, managers, away games etc, but not when its about the politics, for some strange reason.

Anyway, I will let them live in their own delusion now until it all becomes crystal clear, unfortunately.

The irony and hypocrisy of some posts in this thread is astounding, and that's the last I'm saying on it too.

Tbf LM, I think you have good knowledge of the past but you blend knowledge and opinion. You use your knowledge of what has happened previously to present an opinion, not necessarily fact. Because it is an opinion, people are inclined to agree or not. I try to engage you in football discussion and I ignore any snide remarks made, mainly as I cant be arsed.

I think the problem many, including me, have is that your view of the past seems to have blindfolded you to what is going on at the club right now. You seem unable to say or agree to anything with any amount of positivity about the current season because of its influence by the current owner. The impression is such that even if we qualify for Europe this season you wouldnt congratulate him but say it is nothing unless he does more than we have in the past?

You also seem to have an all or nothing approach. It seems that you think someone is either 100% behind Ashley or not. I think this is what gets peoples back up when the reality most people are 50/50.

If people want to keep things all in one thread how about posts arse-licking Mike Ashley also being all in one thread ?

This is where you struggle. People are always going to discuss Mike Ashley's credentials because, like it or not, he's our owner. Giving him praise when and where it's due (and sometimes, rarely, it is..) doesn't mean somebody needs to be called 'chum' and told to come back with said praise once Mike has averaged out a fifth best over a given period :lol: (That's a very, very selective stat to use by the way - we won NOTHING ;) ).

Tbf LM, I think you have good knowledge of the past but you blend knowledge and opinion. You use your knowledge of what has happened previously to present an opinion, not necessarily fact. Because it is an opinion, people are inclined to agree or not. I try to engage you in football discussion and I ignore any snide remarks made, mainly as I cant be arsed.

I think the problem many, including me, have is that your view of the past seems to have blindfolded you to what is going on at the club right now. You seem unable to say or agree to anything with any amount of positivity about the current season because of its influence by the current owner. The impression is such that even if we qualify for Europe this season you wouldnt congratulate him but say it is nothing unless he does more than we have in the past?

You also seem to have an all or nothing approach. It seems that you think someone is either 100% behind Ashley or not. I think this is what gets peoples back up when the reality most people are 50/50.

I was going to leave this now, but you - and the post - deserve a reply [don't mean to patronise and for that I apologise].

Of course I mix knowledge of the past with opinion? This is because I've seen it before, the selling of the best players, the excuses for doing it, the lack of backing for the manager. And I've seen where it leads. In 1977 we finished 5th under a manager who did great despite not being backed by his board and 12 months later he had left and the resultant disenchantment relegated the club.

IN the mid-80's we were promoted on a high, spawned 3 major England players, sold them all, finished 8th and were then promptly relegated again. For the same reasons as before, and a similar scenario is being played out now, the same excuses, the same actions, the same lack of ambition, the same small mindedness in the boardroom etc, and in Willie McFaul we had a manager who was completely dedicated to the club too.

If we qualify for europe I will get out my passport, but yes you are quite right to say that for me, you have to do it more than once, I want to see an awareness of the club and a desire to build further or it is indeed only a flash in the pan, like before. I don't believe the desire to build is there, and explained why hundreds of times why. Unlike some, if I am proved wrong - although 4 years have already passed - I will be delighted and I will have the balls to say so.

If you can't learn from the lessons of history, what's the point ? Why not learn from the lessons of history, what's wrong with that ?

If you think that I think people are 100% behind Ashley when they are only 50-50,then I have to say that the same can be said of me, people say I'm 100% old regime but I am not, I just want someone to come in and do better, which is what most people said would happen, incorrectly as it happens, so when I respond in kind people reply to me the poster rather than what I say. That's a fact, or it seems to be. People will not admit that after 4 years they are now saying exactly what they disagreed with me about, all they have done is bicker with me because I said that replacing the old regime with better would be very difficult, and so far that has proved to be exactly the case.

I can't be arsed anymore with people who are going to reply to me the poster rather than read what I say, it is their problem if they want to continue to be deluded. There is a way to be successful in football, all the clubs that have been successful have followed this format, which is not selling your best players and withholding money from your manager rather than trusting and backing him.

That's all I can say, I think. I hope you are happy with this reply. I'm now bowing out of this discussion, unless someone - again - can engage in some constructive knowledgeable response.

Edited by LeazesMag

One for the predictions thread.

Sorry don't agree with your post, if this makes me immature so be it. This is a site of mutual interest that we visit for information in part but mostly fun and banter, no? We all click into most top threads to see the crack, often there is interest to be found but invariably if you want to find it you have to wade through the same posts year after year after year. And you have to read each post in part to figure out if it's not the same old shite. Seconds turn into minutes and before you know it you've fucked off having skim read a load of shite and wondered why you bothered.

It's not seconds scrolling over the course of a week or a month or a year. Like you said in jest yesterday this place is Leazestastic because those who tolerate/ignore his festering perpetuity will stay, and therefore so does he.

Once you've been around a while you may be able to skim and ignore the pages and pages of repetitive bile, but we do have a drip feed of new posters who frequently end up taking him to task whereas most of us gave up on reason some time ago...this causes a corrosive smearing generally in about half the top 10 toon threads. How many posters will be enough to lose so that one can plug away the same old bombproof shite ad nauseam? How many good posters gone, how many thinking of going, how many argue with him for their first few weeks and never return?

Yes it can all be skimmed through, but the time and effort spent skimming and time spent responding to him from new and old contributors alike (where they could be writing something more contributory/enjoyable/current) does have a notably derogatory effect on the content and experience of the board as a whole.

Personally speaking the times he is not around the board is a noticeably better place, sorry Leazes I'm not advocating your expulsion but that's the truth from my perspective. That is in part because I find his dogmatic posting beyond tedious, his persistent and unwarranted attacks on others childish and spiteful and the endless arguing (by new and old) with his UTTERLY IMMOVABLE position. But how are the new members supposed to know? Figure it out for themselves, then probably fuck off. Which we get to witness. Repeat.

It has often said this board should have an entrance exam, well it does and it is LeazesMag. If you can put up with his shite and tolerate having to skim read hundreds of posts then Welcome Aboard! :nufc:

No wonder we have such a small group of (largely very tolerant) regular posters for such an otherwise great forum.

Having said that much about one poster reflects the fact I really like this place and I want it to improve. I know the alternative, of course.

Basically, we'll never qualify for europe under Mike Ashley...

Oh, it looks like we'll qualify for Europe...

We'll never qualify for Europe more than once under Ashley...

You're just trying to delay having to admit you were fucking wrong imo.

I was going to leave this now, but you - and the post - deserve a reply [don't mean to patronise and for that I apologise].

Of course I mix knowledge of the past with opinion? This is because I've seen it before, the selling of the best players, the excuses for doing it, the lack of backing for the manager. And I've seen where it leads. In 1977 we finished 5th under a manager who did great despite not being backed by his board and 12 months later he had left and the resultant disenchantment relegated the club.

IN the mid-80's we were promoted on a high, spawned 3 major England players, sold them all, finished 8th and were then promptly relegated again. For the same reasons as before, and a similar scenario is being played out now, the same excuses, the same actions, the same lack of ambition, the same small mindedness in the boardroom etc, and in Willie McFaul we had a manager who was completely dedicated to the club too.

If we qualify for europe I will get out my passport, but yes you are quite right to say that for me, you have to do it more than once, I want to see an awareness of the club and a desire to build further or it is indeed only a flash in the pan, like before. I don't believe the desire to build is there, and explained why hundreds of times why. Unlike some, if I am proved wrong - although 4 years have already passed - I will be delighted and I will have the balls to say so.

If you can't learn from the lessons of history, what's the point ? Why not learn from the lessons of history, what's wrong with that ?

If you think that I think people are 100% behind Ashley when they are only 50-50,then I have to say that the same can be said of me, people say I'm 100% old regime but I am not, I just want someone to come in and do better, which is what most people said would happen, incorrectly as it happens, so when I respond in kind people reply to me the poster rather than what I say. That's a fact, or it seems to be. People will not admit that after 4 years they are now saying exactly what they disagreed with me about, all they have done is bicker with me because I said that replacing the old regime with better would be very difficult, and so far that has proved to be exactly the case.

I can't be arsed anymore with people who are going to reply to me the poster rather than read what I say, it is their problem if they want to continue to be deluded. There is a way to be successful in football, all the clubs that have been successful have followed this format, which is not selling your best players and withholding money from your manager rather than trusting and backing him.

That's all I can say, I think. I hope you are happy with this reply. I'm now bowing out of this discussion, unless someone - again - can engage in some constructive knowledgeable response.

Ok, I know, Im asking you to reply again :lol:

Is it not possible then that using your format of "been here before and seen it fail", the same could be used against SJH? Bought the club, built it up, sold it off for a tidy sum thank you very much. So, lets say Ashley sells as you want, is it not possible that we could say the same will happen again as we have seen it before? they build up the club and then sell it off with potential consequences.

Alternatively, Id like to turn your argument on its head, is it not also possible for MA to sell the club and a worse owner to come in? We are sitting in 5th right now and europe looks a possibility. He could get us there and sell it then the next person has the same learning curve, makes their own mistakes and takes us down? As we have crudely found out through relegation, be careful what you wish for?

same here, I'm totally convinced of Mike Ashleys ambitions and intentions for the club. In fact I'll go further and say that last season - unless his transfer policy [aye the subject of this thread] dramatically and unexpectedly changes - may be the highest we ever finish while he owns it. If we ever do better, it will only be a blip and it won't be by much. We will NEVER qualify for europe through league position, nailed on.

How much of the Carroll cash has the manager been allowed to strengthen the team with so far ?

Since Mike Ashley came, ALL those averages have decreased and in my humble opinion, he will NEVER qualify for europe even once by virtue of league position. This may suit those who think we are no bigger than the likes of Blackburn or Bolton, and even though you say "the game has changed", it has "changed" for everybody, we are still bigger and should be aiming higher than Blackburn and Bolton, in fact as we have said, even though you say "the game has changed" only Man City and Chelsea have sugar daddies, there is no reason at all why we should not still be aiming to manage the likes of Liverpool and Spurs. The game is the same for those clubs as it is for us, and we have bigger support than both, bigger stadiums, we have been a bigger and better club than Spurs throughout the entire ownership of the Halls and Shepherd. Mike Ashley is doing to us what Alan Sugar did for Spurs, when we were bigger and better than Spurs.

show me a team who qualified for euroe regular ie achieving consistent high league postions by bringing nothing but loan players, 2nd division reserve players, free transfers and selling their best ones ?

You are fast becoming a bigger joke than ever. The season is far from over. We will NEVER qualify for europe by virtue of a good league position under Mike Ashley.

On the other hand, he may be gone soon. Then what will you do without your Mikey

So Leazes, I have cherry-picked a few quotes from you that state we'll 'NEVER' do it. You have now slowly changed this to 'you have to do it more than once' because it looks like we have a good chance of doing it this season..

My question is this mate. If we qualify for Europe, this season, will you admit that you were wrong (which you insist you have no problem doing) or will you say that you've always said it needs to be more than once (even though this was only a recent change in stance) and still insist that you've 'called it for years'?

Ok, I know, Im asking you to reply again :lol:

Is it not possible then that using your format of "been here before and seen it fail", the same could be used against SJH? Bought the club, built it up, sold it off for a tidy sum thank you very much. So, lets say Ashley sells as you want, is it not possible that we could say the same will happen again as we have seen it before? they build up the club and then sell it off with potential consequences.

Alternatively, Id like to turn your argument on its head, is it not also possible for MA to sell the club and a worse owner to come in? We are sitting in 5th right now and europe looks a possibility. He could get us there and sell it then the next person has the same learning curve, makes their own mistakes and takes us down? As we have crudely found out through relegation, be careful what you wish for?

of course it is highly possible for a worse owner than MA, I've actually said this on a few occasions too.

I realise the previous regime made a lot of money when they sold the club, but the point is that when they were here they ran the club like a football club ought to be run and gave us the best time I've had in my time anyway.

I've also said the same about Ashley, if he matches what they did or better, he can sell the club and make himself a billion quid for all I care. Thats what I want as a supporter, and its what supporters of NUFC should demand too, none of this "top half of the table is OK and we can't challenge for the top spots anymore" bollocks.