Both Manchester's Failings Affect Us?

DubiousBobcat

I always thought if one of the Manchester clubs won the Europa, it would open up another league position spot as they won't be defending their title due to Champions League commitments. This effectively meant 6th place was up for grabs and if Liverpool leapfrogged us into 6th and we stay 7th, then 7th place was also up as Liverpool already have Europa League secured. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Now we have to get 5th and I can't see us over taking Chelsea.

2012/13:

Europe

Some useful guidance regarding our chances of making a return to European competition next season appeared in Thursday's Chronicle - here's an abridged version:

UEFA has allocated three Europa League places to England next season: One via the PL, one to Carling Cup winners Liverpool and one to the FA Cup winners.

UEFA will only admit four teams from each country into the competition after amending their rules in 2006.

A fourth place finish would earn a two-legged playoff place for a spot in the Champions League group stages (21st Aug/28th Aug). If Chelsea won the Champions League and finished in fifth or lower, the fourth-placed team would go into the Europa League.

A fifth place finish would earn a two-legged playoff place for the Europa League (23rd Aug/30th Aug).

A sixth place finish could also earn a two-legged playoff place for the Europa League (23rd/30th Aug) if the FA Cup Final was contested by two teams who had both already qualified for Europe via a different route ie PL, Carling Cup, Champions League.

However a sixth place finish could see us beaten to a Europa League spot by the losing FA Cup finalist, regardless of where that team finishes in the PL.

A seventh place finish could also earn a place in the two legged Third Qualifying Round of the Europa League (2nd Aug/9th Aug), due to Liverpool's Carling Cup Final win which already gives them a place in that tournament.

That would require Liverpool to finish sixth and the FA Cup Final was contested by two teams who had both already qualified for Europe via a different route ie PL, Champions League.

OK then the current table is as follows :-

1. Man Utd - In no comps.

2. Man City - In no comps.

3. Spurs - Still in FA Cup.

4. Arses - In no comps.

-----

5. Chelski - Still in FA Cup

-----

6. Newcastle - In no comps.

7. Liverpool - In Europa via League Cup Win.

So going on the above previous post it would be advantagous to us if both Chelski and Spurs contested the FA Cup final ?

4. Arses - In no comps.

-----

-----

So going on the above previous post it would be advantagous to us if both Chelski and Spurs contested the FA Cup final ?

Obviously. Look at like this, forget about league position unless we finish 8th. As long as we come 7th or above and the Cup Final involves a combination of Tottenham, Chelsea or Liverpool we're in Europe. Looking at the FA Cup I'd say there's a 90% chance Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will all get through, meaning in my opinion the only way we won't get in to Europe is cataclysmic league form meaning we come below 7th which is unlikely, or Sunderland or Everton beating one of the three teams I've mentioned in the Semi Final.

4. Arses - In no comps.

-----

-----

Obviously. Look at like this, forget about league position unless we finish 8th. As long as we come 7th or above and the Cup Final involves a combination of Tottenham, Chelsea or Liverpool we're in Europe. Looking at the FA Cup I'd say there's a 90% chance Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will all get through, meaning in my opinion the only way we won't get in to Europe is cataclysmic league form meaning we come below 7th which is unlikely, or Sunderland or Everton beating one of the three teams I've mentioned in the Semi Final.

I reckon we'll hold 7th. But Everton are 4th in the current form tables. Making a push. Could be tight.

You can see it now, Sunderland get to the FA Cup final and lose but take the final Europa spot. Daft thing is, they'd only be celebrating us not getting it :glare:

You can see it now, Sunderland get to the FA Cup final and lose but take the final Europa spot. Daft thing is, they'd only be celebrating us not getting it :glare:

That'd be such a cop out way to get into europe over us though which would make it all the funnier. :D Unless they win the Cup (:lol:) in that case fair play.

That'd be such a cop out way to get into europe over us though which would make it all the funnier. :D Unless they win the Cup ( :lol:) in that case fair play.

To be fair we wrote the book on getting in to Europe via the back door. We got in the intertoto in 2001 because of a war, and our fair play rating, and we've benefitted from being losing FA Cup Finalists twice.

So what would have happened i wonder if one of the Manchester clubs would have won the Europa cup and finish in the top 4? Have them being knocked out had an affect on our chances? Just intrigued....

So what would have happened i wonder if one of the Manchester clubs would have won the Europa cup and finish in the top 4? Have them being knocked out had an affect on our chances? Just intrigued....

Not one thing would happen in that scenario that would effect us.

We need to finish 6th and hope two of the top four are in the FA cup final. If Liverpool finish above us and qualify for a Europa League spot then Cardiff will get their Carling Cup spot.

Don't think so. Carling Cup runners up get nowt. It goes to 7th instead

I'm pretty sure I was told and read that it does. I'll take your word for it, good news if so.

Didn't we also get into the Fairs Cup because of a 'one club per city' rule?

Aye, but we went on and won the fucker. Champs League (or Champions Trophy) was just the winners in them days, Fairs Cup was a HUGE thing to win.

Guest CabayeAye

We need to finish 6th and hope two of the top four are in the FA cup final. If Liverpool finish above us and qualify for a Europa League spot then Cardiff will get their Carling Cup spot.

Not true. Cardiff cannot qualify for Europe.

Not true. Cardiff cannot qualify for Europe.

whys that?

Guest CabayeAye

The League Cup winner qualifies for Europe. If the winner qualifies through the league (Murderers finish top 6, provided the FA Cup final is two top 5 teams) the runner up gets nowt and the place goes back to the league (7th place in this example).

Interestingly, UEFA's official paperwork states that the 5th and 6th placed teams get into the Europa League and makes no provision for the League Cup winner.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/62/69/60/1626960_DOWNLOAD.pdf - Annex Ia

I can only assume that the FA defies this and enters the LC winner in lieu of 6th place (assuming the LC winner has not already qualified).

Guest CabayeAye

if we left sixth, and Liverpool won the FA cup, newcastle or cardiff classifies the UEFA?

and if Chelsea wins the FA?

if anyone knows, please tell me

If we finish 6th and the murderers win the FA Cup then the following happens:

1st Man City - CL

2nd Man Utd - CL

3rd Spurs - CL

4th Arsenal - CL Qualifiers

5th Chelsea - Europa League

6th Newcastle - Europa League (PROVIDED THE MACKEMS OR EVERTON ARE NOT FINALISTS!!!)

7th Liverpool - Europa League

i.e. 4 CL teams and 3 Europa teams as per the quota. If the Mackems or Everton make the final, they will qualify in our place! :()