Perch

Dr Gloom

Feels weird that we don't have any scapegoats this season. Every player has done their bit. In the past perch and shola would get more stick than they have this season but they've both chipped in with good performances. The only boo boy target left is Simpson - and he's started every game for a side already on 50 points! Long may it continue

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels weird that we don't have any scapegoats this season. Every player has done their bit. In the past perch and shola would get more stick than they have this season but they've both chipped in with good performances. The only boo boy target left is Simpson - and he's started every game for a side already on 50 points! Long may it continue

Read the posts about Williamson earlier in the thread.

Forgot about Williamson. Looking beyond his lack of composure on the ball, I think he's done ok. Wins his fair share of balls in the air. Decent enough number 3 or number 4 centre back.

Forgot about Williamson. Looking beyond his lack of composure on the ball, I think he's done ok. Wins his fair share of balls in the air. Decent enough number 3 or number 4 centre back.

Not at the moment, he's been produced some utter howlers at the back. I think his confidence is gone because of it mind, so he's in a downward spiral. I'd still be happy to keep him as backup to the squad but preferably only as a 4th choice cb.

If Colo is going to be out for four games both Perch and Williams are going to have step up big style. Personally I think it's going to cost us big style. If we win on Sunday we'd be eleven points clear in sixth with seven games left which would be a fantastic position but with those two in the centre I think we'll struggle.

Balls of steel.

As for Williamson, aside from his dodgy knacker moment, I thought he was fine against West Brom. Made some good clearances and won plenty of headers. His confidence is shot though which means he'll second guess himself when he has the time to think. Pardew needs to buy him loads of prostitutes to keep his spirits up.

Balls of steel.

As for Williamson, aside from his dodgy knacker moment, I thought he was fine against West Brom. Made some good clearances and won plenty of headers. His confidence is shot though which means he'll second guess himself when he has the time to think. Pardew needs to buy him loads of prostitutes to keep his spirits up.

Did you hear him speak after the match? Incoherent squeaky gibberish, mind as calm as a pot of boiling lobsters.

Balls of steel.

Did you hear him speak after the match? Incoherent squeaky gibberish, mind as calm as a pot of boiling lobsters.

:lol: aye, couldn't even get the "take it one game at a time" cliche out his mouth right

Perchino

Tongue-in-cheek though it may have been, when the first chant of 'we've got Perchinho' reverberated through the Hawthorns' Smethwick End on Sunday, it marked a watershed in the Newcastle United career of James Perch.

The witty ditty followed yet another vital interception from the versatile man from Mansfield, who has been a standout performer in each of the Magpies' last two games - both of which have ended with a victory for Alan Pardew's side.

His affectionate new nickname among the travelling Toon Army is a huge turnaround from his early days on Tyneside, when he endured a difficult start following his summer 2010 move from Nottingham Forest.

But Perch has slowly been changing supporters' opinions this term, making 20 appearances in a variety of positions and excelling whether he plays at left-back, as he did at Arsenal two weeks ago, as a holding midfielder, where he shone against Norwich, or in the centre-half role he occupied during the second half against West Bromwich Albion.

So the 26-year-old admitted that the song was music to his ears - even if he was too focused on the action on the pitch to properly hear it at the time.

"To be honest, I heard something - but I thought 'that can't be about me'," he told nufc.co.uk. "But I heard after the game that it was, and it's good when you've got the faithful behind you; when you're playing away and you're winning and they're happy.

"It's always good when fans sing about you and I'm delighted, really.

"I hope I'm starting to win a few people over now. Obviously it's taken a little bit of time for different reasons, with the start I had and all the rest of it.

"I'm hoping now that they can see that I work hard and I always have done. I can play a number of positions and I just want to do my best for the club.

"It always helps when the team's winning as well. I've came into a number of positions, I've played and more importantly we've won which makes it a lot easier to look back and say 'yeah, we did well.'"

The three points gained in the West Midlands took Newcastle level on points with fifth-placed Chelsea and eight clear of their next opponents Liverpool, who are currently seventh in the Barclays Premier League.

And two successive wins have been very welcome as Alan Pardew's side continue to vye for European football at the end of the season, with just eight games now remaining.

"We knew a couple of weeks ago that we had ten big games and we're just checking them off one by one," revealed Perch. "That's two now that we've won and got maximum points from, which is just what we needed.

"It was definitely one of the best away performances of the season, especially knowing how hard it is to go to the Hawthorns and even get any result. It was massive, and West Brom were like our little bogie team as well.

"So to get one over them after they got one over on us earlier in the season was a great win. I think the attacking side of things yesterday was unbelievable; people watching that would have been really impressed.

"You've got players there who can win games single-handedly. You've got Demba (Ba), who's very good, Cabs (Yohan Cabaye) and Hatem (Ben Arfa), who was ridiculous yesterday. The things he can do with a ball and when he's running at pace can cause any defender problems.

"We knew they were going to change it at half-time. We knew they'd go two up top and just pump long balls into the box and try to put us under pressure. To be fair to them, in the first ten or 15 minutes they looked like they were going to do that, but even after the first goal we managed to keep calm and see the game out.

"And I thought we played some good football in the second half as well."

Arguably undroppable at the moment. Puts in some superb blocks and tackles.

So when Colo comes back, Perch for WIllo?

Fit him in somewhere. Harsh to drop him.

Willo's far more inconsistent than Perchinho

It's amazing what some confidence can do for a player, he had none at the start of the season and he was frighteningly bad but now he's got the confidence he looks like a proper premiership footballer. Good on the lad for turning it round.