Perch

Dr Gloom

Is a good no nonsense defensive midfielder. More than happy with him there as cover for tiote.

I didn't think he was premiership class and I still don't fancy him at full back but he's had a good season. Hasnt let us down when called upon and, like Ryan Taylor,0 has won over most of those that wanted him out of the club.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unafraid he is. Works his socks off and went in with his head a couple of times when other players would have backed out. Was caught out of position sometimes but you could see him sprinting back. Never as good as Tiote but an honest and likeable player. I think he would have had a tougher time of it if we didnt play him in a midfield 3, but well done to the guy.

Does a job in midfield, was very good at breaking up play against Norwich, and when he won the ball or received a pass he made the safe option, looking up when he had time to be aware of his options. That's exactly what you want from a player like that.

His weakness is his positional solitude and his marking ability. He is useless at defending set pieces. I get nervous whenever he's played in defense but in a closing down midfielder role he's won me over as a viable team member. But again I must stress, only in the capacity.

Is a good no nonsense defensive midfielder. More than happy with him there as cover for tiote.

I didn't think he was premiership class and I still don't fancy him at full back but he's had a good season. Hasnt let us down when called upon and, like Ryan Taylor,0 has won over most of those that wanted him out of the club.

You didnt see much of the Spurs game at WHL then?

One swallow doesnt make a summer, but he's cover for about 4 posistions so we'll be putting up with him for a while yet, especially if we get in the Europa league next season.

Anyone remember me being utterly ridiculed for defending him? :lol: He is clearly a liability at FB but adequate in that midfield role. Scored best out of 10 for us across a few publications this morning.

Nothing to do with Pardew of course, he just improved naturally ;)

You didnt see much of the Spurs game at WHL then?

One swallow doesnt make a summer, but he's cover for about 4 posistions so we'll be putting up with him for a while yet, especially if we get in the Europa league next season.

well yeah, but they were all gash that day weren't they?

most games i've seen him at defensive midfield, he's impressed me.

still don't fancy him at full back.

Could we use Perch and Colo as a CB pairing to solve the Willamson problem?

:lol:

When he fucks up in midfield we've got people to bail him out, when he fucks up defence it's a different story.

Can't fault him yesterday though, except injuring yourself in a tackle :lol:

This is a really cogent example of why a competent defensive midfield player should always be relatively easy to find btw. If you clearly define the role and dont give them any creative remit/responsibilities, it's a position loads of players should be able to play relatively effectively. Guthrie's done the same.

While Tiote is the supreme example DM and the best we've had, he's not a great footballer, nor does he need to be.

It's a scandal that it's still such a novelty position to us tbh.

I think the original plan was to have Tiote do what he does so well and have Cabaye as the forward creative midfielder controlling the game, laying off the passes and assisting the attack (remember villa, all those shots), however it now seems he plays with different instructions and his creativity and forward play has suffered as a consequence.

Guest CabayeAye

I think Cabaye is struggling as a box-to-box midfielder. He seems to get too tied down in DM positions to get forward and play to his strengths. He has a hell of an eye for a pass, so I'd really want him to be the playmaker, rather than having to hang back and bail the other DM out. Problem is, with Williamson and Simpson in the back four, we need two DMs to protect the back four. Waste of Cabaye's talent if you ask me. I'd rather see Perch and Guthrie deep with Cabaye, Jonas and Ben Arfa advanced with 1 striker. Our 4-4-2 with two deep CMs is starving the strikers.

I think our problem is that we do not have enough depth for our defense, there better be some defensive summer signings. Even though Willo is in a poor run of form, i do not think Perch is the answer, he failed horriably as CB against Chleski, remeber that Drogba header.

Edited by toonarmy108

Didn't do anything too much wrong, but it was just about the easiest game you're going to get as a defender. He literally had just about no defending to do, was never isolated one on one and their set pieces for the most part were faff.