mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Well, we're not playing well, we're not getting results and the others are catching up.

Even though we're the division's top goal scorers, with the most wins, we're the form side and the chasing pack are 6pts and a shit ton of goal difference behind us.

The league's that tight at the bottom a little run of form can transform your survival chances but they've only won one game out of the last 7 and you have to go back to the middle of December for their last home win in the league.

Aye but they've got Cattermole coming back from injury remember. His inevitable first game back red card will be a turning point for their season, just you wait!

:lol: He only turns up against us and we're not there this year.

Honestly even if they do stay up will it really matter? They'll be an absolute mess yet again next season. I read somewhere there are serious issues at that club in regards to the players attitude. I've heard off a mate who knows a lad who's mates with Pickford (I know, very large handful of salt needed here) that he's just been chinning pints pretty much the whole time he has been out injured, it wouldn't be entirely surprising if there was truth to it as I've heard similar about Cattermole, Bardsley, etc in the past. The culture gets shrugged off by mackems because they manage to hang onto their league status but the thing is if that sort of attitude is prevalent it is a good reason for why they never kick on. 

Aye, Sunderland lad I worked with reckons it was the same story with Poyet too. Although "Catts" has supposedly settled down a bit the culture remains the same.

Aye both those things sound probable. 

Mackems never have any of it but there's obviously some sort of problem as they way the club is basically in a year round relegation scrap a decade after promotion is ridiculous.

The Secret Footballer has made specifc reference to it on more than one occasion

Aye that's where I think I remember it from. The mackems rile against it and reckon he's full of shite but honestly I don't see a reason for him to lie about it. If he was wanting to lie for publicity about something like that surely he'd pick a more notable club, instead when he said it most seemed to think 'aye makes sense' rather than generating massive publicity.

Aye that's where I think I remember it from. The mackems rile against it and reckon he's full of shite but honestly I don't see a reason for him to lie about it. If he was wanting to lie for publicity about something like that surely he'd pick a more notable club, instead when he said it most seemed to think 'aye makes sense' rather than generating massive publicity.

I think he actually said that that's how they get away with it, i.e. them being a club which isn't in the media glare / is a bit small time, which no doubt endeared him to the fanbase even more.

Think I've mentioned this before but a lad I went to Uni with, went to school with Cattermole and told me he was a right little radgepacket then and was basically turned into a pro footballer by moving away to Wigan and getting out of Boro and leaving his knacker mates. No surprise that, as soon as he was back in the North East, he picked up where he left off.

4-0 against Palace away from home is an undeniable self belief moment though. Be interesting to see what happens, either way.

That win was, by all accounts very flattering to Sunderland. Mate was at the game and said, while Palace were shite, Sunderland seemed to score with every 2nd shot, while Palace's shots were meek or wayward. It wasn't that Sunderland dominated the game or that they played particularly well, they just took the few chances they had. That's certainly backed up by the stats.

He's not a Palace fan, so he had no dog in that fight.

That win was, by all accounts very flattering to Sunderland. Mate was at the game and said, while Palace were shite, Sunderland seemed to score with every 2nd shot, while Palace's shots were meek or wayward. It wasn't that Sunderland dominated the game or that they played particularly well, they just took the few chances they had. That's certainly backed up by the stats.

He's not a Palace fan, so he had no dog in that fight.

Aye but it'll be a galvanising moment nonetheless. If every second shot goes in, it'll bolster self belief.

Aye but it'll be a galvanising moment nonetheless. If every second shot goes in, it'll bolster self belief.

They'll take a lot of confidence from it, no doubt, and to be honest, I'm not as confident they'll go down as I was earlier in the season. Not because they're any good, but simply because they're not as adrift as they should be given their performances. The rest of the bottom aren't taking their opportunities to break away from the bottom side. There are 3 relegation spots to avoid, where often there's a side adrift in 20th. 

They're still shite and still hugely reliant on one player maintaining fitness and form. Moyes will make them a better outfit, and if the other teams continue to stumble and fumble their lines they may well get to their winnable games at the end of April/beginning of May in touching distance of safety. However, Defoe has been involved in at least 66% of their goals (16/24) and should he miss 2-3 weeks through injury they're fucked.

They host an out of form Southampton who have lost 3 on the bounce, fail to beat them and I reckon the mackems will lurch from bold confidence to the same crippling self doubt that had them calling for Moyes' head. They had 10 League games without a win at the start of the season and while their form is improving, they've still only amassed 5 league wins all season, none against top half sides. After Southampton, they've 3 difficult games, fail to win today and those 3 games look much harder. 

Edited by The Fish

I think you're right, and fully agree that the difference this year versus previous years on such form is that there is just so much shit in the PL. One of the reasons in fact that I'm quite optimistic about our chances of midtable once we go up.

But that aside, I expect Sunderland will get away with it. They've done this so many times it's borderline crazy to think they won't escape again.

:D

Moyes:

The big thing for me, though, is to create a team spirit so they look after each other on the pitch. I want them to build relationships off it, too – and the psychology behind going somewhere so cold is that when we come back we’ll think Sunderland is Dubai.

If Donald Trump wants to come and see the boys, he’s very welcome, maybe we’ll go to Trump Tower, see if we can get anywhere near it.