Home Brewing

Christmas Tree

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they on your kitchen bench? I wouldn't have that like; I'd make you stick them in the airing cupboard where I wouldn't have to look at them ;)

Having spent the last week on a few home brewing forums I must say Im a bit surprised that more people dont do this.

Given the trends towards more home drinking, entertaining and bbq'ing you would think having a home made store of really good beers, lagers and ciders, at a fraction of shop bought prices, would appeal to more than it does.

That said, Ive reached the ripe old age of 46 without trying it but there is still a lot of younger guys on the other forums doing it.

Lots seem keen to experiment in the kitchen with food, but not alcohol.

Is it something that just hasnt occurred to people or do people just think the quality wont be good?

Interested to know.

Edited by Christmas Tree

My uncle makes lush home made brandy. Not sure if it's legal though. :lol:

This is why I loved my time in Serbia, everyone's got a cousin whose postman's step-daughter's neighbour makes burn-your-eyes-off rakija that they sell in old Coke bottles for a quid or two a pop. Lethal. :D

I reckon CT has already drunk all the beer. And now weighs 20 stone. Cab probably needs reinforcing.

Not at all. Still sitting there waiting to be bottled which is quite a big job so it will have to wait til the Mrs is about to watch the bairn.

The ciders have really changed colour now as well.

Before

ndlgr6.jpg

Now

dq63qt.jpg

Busy old day bottling today. 10 strawberry and lime cider, 10 strawberry and apple and 20 Coopers lager.

Another 20 still in the drum for the bairn to bottle when she gets in.

Then its time for a nice Ruby Red real ale next I think or an Irish stout.

Had a sneak taste of the Coopers lager even though its not carbonated yet and I must admit I think its going to be very very nice. Now it needs two weeks secondary fermentation (the fizz) at room temperature then a minimum of 3 weeks cold conditioning.

353avwh.jpg

Busy old day bottling today. 10 strawberry and lime cider, 10 strawberry and apple and 20 Coopers lager.

Had a sneak taste of the Coopers lager even though its not carbonated yet and I must admit I think its going to be very very nice. Now it needs two weeks secondary fermentation (the fizz) at room temperature then a minimum of 3 weeks cold conditioning.

353avwh.jpg

Let us know how the ale goes like. Half interested in this myself.

Let us know how the ale goes like. Half interested in this myself.

I will do. I think Im going to do St Peters Ruby Red next

211.jpg

http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/store/product.asp?s=b8p3ao285415&strParents=71&CAT_ID=93&P_ID=211

or this Woodfordes Wherry

woodfordes_wherry.gif

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Woodfordes_Wherry_Beer_Kit.html

Basically there is a massive choice of different ales and beers as you will see from this shop here

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/index.html

If you are thinking of giving it a go I would suggest having a nosey around either of these two forums where you can here stories from lads who have been doing it for a while or newbies who are supping their first home made alcohol. After reading a few threads Im sure you will be itching to have a crack at it. (And at about 40p a pint, why not). :lol:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/

353avwh.jpg

CT, How long are you keeping them in a bottled state? I've half fancied trying this myself but wonder about pasteurisation and also wonder how you actually bottle the beer and whether you know how to make sure any oxygen in the bottle is mainly DO2? (dissolved oxygen).

CT, How long are you keeping them in a bottled state? I've half fancied trying this myself but wonder about pasteurisation and also wonder how you actually bottle the beer and whether you know how to make sure any oxygen in the bottle is mainly DO2? (dissolved oxygen).

Woosh as that flies over my head :lol:

I dont know mate. The big boys on the home brewing forums will tell you that the longer in the bottle the better with most suggesting a few months before tucking in. Hard to do of course when you are just setting your stash up.

When the initial brew is in the fermenter / bin, it produces carbon dioxide which being heavier than air, sits on top of the brew and presents any nasties in the air getting in.

Everything to do with home brewing begins and ends with sterilisation. Everything that comes into contact with the drink needs to be sterile.

This is the video of the kit I have and shows you exactly how the process works from start to finish. Definitely worth a quick watch if you fancy having a go.

Would also be worth you having a neb around those two forums as there are plenty of local lads who will answer your questions.

Howmanheyman

From the beer forums

Bottled beer keeps a fairly long time. 6 months minimum but particularly stronger brews can keep for years. The aim when bottling is to minimise dissolved oxygen. There will be some oxygen in the headspace left in the bottle - a lot of crown caps come with an oxygen scavenging liner that is meant absorb this

Howmanheyman

From the beer forums

two more answers to your question .....

Bottled home brew is usually ready to drink after about 4 weeks conditioning (though is often sampled sooner) and will last 6-12 months, maybe more depending on ABV, storage temp etc.

It's bottled with live yeast, i.e. it's not pasturised.

Bottling is easier than you might think... the easiest way, in my experience, being to use a £6 bottling wand that attaches directly to the tap on your bottling bucket and ensures no oxygen is introduced when bottling.

Hope this helps.

I've still a few bottles that are from Sept / Oct 2010 4.8% 5.6% & 4.2% and all are perfectly fine (except there's not many left ) so they do keep very well it's just having the will power to leave 'em, or box them up and set aside

Ales really go to another level if you put a bit of steak in them. (It used to be rats that got in them in the ole days in London about a century ago). The meat ferments and adds a real depth to the flavour.

Brew Day No 2 --- St Peters Ruby Red --- 40 Pints

Obviously when you are starting out it is all about getting a wine cellar full up and running as quickly as possible. That way you become self sufficient and can allow different beers to stay longer in the bottle.

Went for a top end kit costing £22so this will work out at 55p a pint.

The kit consists of two tins of treacle like substance...The wort (I think) a sachet of hops and a sachet of yeast.

dmbo5h.jpg

The cans get steeped for 5 minutes in hot water to make it easier to pour into the fermenting bin.

1zh1ctg.jpg

11lsuh4.jpg

Add 3.5 litres of hot water and stir then top up to 23 litres with cold water.

64e36c.jpg

Sprinkle hops in, stir, sprinkle yeast and voila!

xdxnah.jpg

Hope wifey doesnt notice its been refilled and wait a week to bottle. Start to finish about 15 minutes.