Banning vs Rules

ChezGiven

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the point that the poster that ruins the board can still post after a time out. Again. For the umpteenth time. Any other point being made doesn't really interest me.

Best Ban One is my name - not best ba none, and the one is Leazes.

Edited by BestBaNone

If there needs to be a rule it should be banning for constant derailing of threads. How you define constant is up to you but imo it should be common sense rather than some strict system.

The thing is though, no one has a problem with thread derailing per se and like Trophyshy said, it's often hilarious. Problem is we're all basically skirting around the issue that this all centres around one distinct problem.

Edited by TicTacWoe

There's no "you guys" here. It's been said several times that these are all personal opinions.

I don't want a ban at all democratic or not.

The bold bit is EXACTLY why Chez started the thread, but there seems to be little interest in defining those rules to apply to all, even from those that get most hot under the collar about it and ask for bans.

If it's not feasible to define it, then I guess we see how the new moderating team gets on for now, using their own judgement, rather than asking them to ban someone before they've had the chance to moderate a single post.

:lol: Honestly this is laughable. The new moderating team needs time to get its feet under the table. The new moderating team cannot make a decision on this matter yet.

You're all existing posters ffs. Not a brand new Exec team at a PLC.

You know the crack, and all this nonsense is is building obstacles to prevent you from having to take decisive action. This place doesn't need a load of rules cos broadly speaking people moderate themselves with one very notable exception.

So, in summary

• No one wants rules, too complicated to implement and a bit shit
  • Everyone wants to reserve the right to call for people to be banned
  • Banning problematic posters is the only way to resolve problems

Is that fair? I dont agree with that but i dont agree with many on here until they come round to my way of thinking 18 months later ;)

:lol: Honestly this is laughable. The new moderating team needs time to get its feet under the table. The new moderating team cannot make a decision on this matter yet.

You know the crack, and all this nonsense is is building obstacles to prevent you from having to take decisive action. This place doesn't need a load of rules cos broadly speaking people moderate themselves with one very notable exception.

:scratchchin:

It's impossible to create a rule like this that can be perfectly defined on a forum. One mans "derailed thread" is another man's "casual debate about club ownership". Obvious things like racism are straightforward but this issue (and it's basically all about LM so why bother skirting around it) is harder to put a rule to. I really think common sense has to come into it, some sort of vote if need be.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Who didnt give a shit about anyone saying anything they wanted in any thread. Your attitude here Gemmill is fairly typical of you, there are 2 intelligent, clear, rational posters presenting an argument. You arent really debating the points and are allowing the debate to escalate beyond the objective level. You cant accept that we dont get your point. Sound familar?

People's posts getting editted. Forum trolls being reinstated. Bairn-like rules being suggested.

Think it's time to reconsider the appointments whilst you're still in your 14 day cooling off period.

If you think you can make the forum a better place, attracting quality new members that stay while keeping Leazes on board then fair play to you.

I think you're up against it, we've seen posts in this thread about how much better the forum has been over the past week while he's had a time out and there were similar comments a few weeks back when he was having another short ban from the place too. When you've got people that have been members for years saying they have been staying away from the football section despite us doing so well for no other reason than avoiding Leazes' repetitive rantings the you're going to have problems keeping newbies with no connection with the place when they start reading it.

It's a road we've been down many times before on both here and N-O and despite your best intentions I predict the outcome won't be any different unless you pull the plug on his trolling like they did.

Who didnt give a shit about anyone saying anything they wanted in any thread. Your attitude here Gemmill is fairly typical of you, there are 2 intelligent, clear, rational posters presenting an argument. You arent really debating the points and are allowing the debate to escalate beyond the objective level. You cant accept that we dont get your point. Sound familar?
Why accept the job of moderator if you "don't give a shit about anyone saying anything they want in any thread"? Isn't that the exact opposite of the job description?I'll ignore the ridiculous attempt to label me a the new Leazes. Edited by Gemmill

I've never been able to delete pissed up posts when people get in from the pub, or a Monday morning thread blitz, or any of the "FAO LM" type threads.....which I'm chomping at the bit to do tbh.

I dont disagree with that but at the end of the day the various warnings should have been enough for that one poster to either change his style or go elsewhere. We are not talking about a 19 year old kid.

I, JawD and many others have genuinely asked him to change, let it go and contribute more in other ways. He has decided not too.

It may also be worth stating that very little moderation has been going on. Now with the new team in place, surely it is quite easy to nip the bog standard derailment in the bud. If not then in the creche for a week.

Either he will change, spend a lot of time in the creche or clear off. WIN WIN WIN.

Hoi! dont fucking mention me :lol:

Look, Ive not said much in here as I dont strictly agree. I dont necessarily think we need a set of rules. Are most here not grown up adults who with a bit of common sense know when they are taking the piss and wrecking things for everyone else?

Wasn't Gemmill a mod before?

For about 2 weeks IIRC.

That was by a vote instead of jobs for the boys too.

Edited by Baggio

Hoi! dont fucking mention me :lol:

Look, Ive not said much in here as I dont strictly agree. I dont necessarily think we need a set of rules. Are most here not grown up adults who with a bit of common sense know when they are taking the piss and wrecking things for everyone else?

Definitely agree that we don't need a new set of rules but what do you do when one poster doesn't have the common sense to know they are wrecking things for everyone else? You had the most sensible debate with him I've ever seen on here and it still went the same way as the others.

• Tom unlocked and locked this topic