TV money up £6m

Happy Face

Tell me an example of another club signing so many cheapies (and in modern football anything under £10m is a cheapie) and them jelling together so quickly. By hook or by crook we've done it, against all odds. If he say sold Tiote, Cabaye and Cisse that's easily £60m brought in, but people are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think we could do it again. Liverpool spent £120m on shite. We clearly are more prudent, but we are where we are by luck. Nothing else. When he lowered the asking price to £80m and no one would buy it, he was clear then he was prepared to take a £100m + hit on his investment. Then once he realised no one wanted to buy it, he decided he'd say "it's not for sale".

Taking the spine of our team about would potentially claw a lot of his initial investment back, and we'd still have enough to survive in mid table, but it would take us back to 2006 in terms of the potential on the playing side, would be an unmitigated disaster, but if he wants to sell the club, that's what he'll do sell 3 or 4 of our better players, and the club is far far more sellable than it was 3 years ago, he'd get £150m+ for it in my view easily, while potentially taking some of the transfer funds for himself, as he's entitled to do as it's his business. To be honest, I'd take all of that player sales, a few years of mid table, for a decent bloke or decent honourable people to buy and own the club. It's amazing how short peoples memories are after a bit of success. Him and Derek they're scum, they've been prepared to LIE for their own gain to hundreds of thousands of Newcastle fans consistently "they've learned from their mistakes", maybe but you've their morals, and I'm sure they'll show their ugly head again while they're here.

absolutely 100%

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ba, Cisse, Cabaye, Santon, Tiote, Ben Arfa . . . . that's an awful lot of luck? Some would say it is just a good business model coupled with effective scouting. Players under 26, Costing under £10mil, On wages less than £50kpw.

I'm pretty confident the players we sign this summer will be equally as effectvie

Ba, Cisse, Cabaye, Santon, Tiote, Ben Arfa . . . . that's an awful lot of luck? Some would say it is just a good business model coupled with effective scouting. Players under 26, Costing under £10mil, On wages less than £50kpw.

I'm pretty confident the players we sign this summer will be equally as effectvie

I hope you're right but you have more confidence than me in them. It is an awful lot of luck. Graham Carr should be knighted, if he can do it again, Ashley should just say here Graham, here's £2m for yee son don't spend it on toot and prostitutes.

Personally I believe we have already stolen a financial march on the other clubs (outside the mega rich) in that we have gone through our slash and burn phase of “extreme prudence”.

If you look at this (and our latest figures would be even better):

http://www.telegraph...-laid-bare.html

We are in a much better state than most and the majority of the league just cannot keep going the way they are, they have to have their slash and burn, and the ownerships (Lerner/Short/Fenway for example) are making those “cut back/balance the books” noises already, not to mention the needs of FFP.

Will we sell someone?, only if there is a buyer and they can offer absolute top dollar. We don’t need to sell but we will if the price is right (notwithstanding the effect of Agents and players twisting).

Am mot on about selling "someone" am on about selling three or four of our best players....could you swallow that this summer?

To say that we're where we are by luck and nothing else is bollocks. You don't get that lucky.

As to decent, honourable people running the club less successfully, why the fuck would you want that? Are you gonna chant about their decency as the team chalks up defeats?

To say that we're where we are by luck and nothing else is bollocks. You don't get that lucky.

As to decent, honourable people running the club less successfully, why the fuck would you want that? Are you gonna chant about their decency as the team chalks up defeats?

It's far far far from bollocks. It's not even debatable in my view. Ashley has been one lucky cunt. We've basically spent less than Stoke, Bolton, Fulham, Sunderland, all of whom were better run than us before relegation, then the two of them admitted they were novices in the game and that's why they made loads of mistakes, to the extent he was prepared to sell the club for a THIRD of his initial investment. Suddenly! In 3 years they've waved a magic wand and turned in to the world's best football owners. Now that is bollocks. We're lucky cunts and that's the end of it, but I said I'd have an Ashley amnesty and I am doing, I'll reserve further judgement till September 1st 2012.

As for why would you want decent owners, you're seriously questioning that?! You don't mind being lied to then? It's like saying lets have a government who will tell us what we want to hear while doing the complete opposite. He ran the club like Putin runs Russia.

Positive. Being decent to watch has helped this figure rise, as we've been a more popular choice for live coverage. I think it's something like £570k per live game, which is a canny wedge.

As for the wage bill, who knows? There are probably going to be some quite substantial bonuses from finishing 5th, which will push the wage bill up. I think we can say that, other than with Xisco and Alan Smith, we've obtained a return from the bulk of the wage spend.

As for Xisco and Smith, if we get rid of both of them in the summer, that's £5 million a year we're saving. Five million pounds.

Most footballers are total wankers, but you don't give a shit if they do the business. Why should it be any different for owners? Why do you want a worse team in exchange for an owner that makes you feel more warm and fuzzy.

On the other point, no we haven't been lucky and no that's not the end of it. We've done an excellent job of scouting the players, an excellent job of welcoming them to the club and the region, and an excellent job of integrating them into the team. It's not blind luck at all.

Most footballers are total wankers, but you don't give a shit if they do the business. Why should it be any different for owners? Why do you want a worse team in exchange for an owner that makes you feel more warm and fuzzy.

On the other point, no we haven't been lucky and no that's not the end of it. We've done an excellent job of scouting the players, an excellent job of welcoming them to the club and the region, and an excellent job of integrating them into the team. It's not blind luck at all.

This is partially bollocks too. I think on top of the fact they're good, a reason a lot of our fans are so endeared to this team is they all seem like good lads who want to be here. Good honest professionals, I can't even remember the last time we had so many good lads playing for us. This crowd react to that, it's why when we came 12th we applauded them, they gave it their all, and were happy to be priveledged enough to play for the club. Certainly a big thing for me anyway.

Regarding it not being the end of it I hope you're right.

I totally agree that this lot seem like good lads, but you'd take a team of arseholes finishing fourth over a team of good lads coming 12th. Chelsea are a right bunch of cunts but good luck finding anyone bemoaning that in Munich if they win on Saturday night.

I totally agree that this lot seem like good lads, but you'd take a team of arseholes finishing fourth over a team of good lads coming 12th. Chelsea are a right bunch of cunts but good luck finding anyone bemoaning that in Munich if they win on Saturday night.

The last time we came 5th we had a lot of divvies, Jenas, Titus, "Bellas" etc...I'm much happier with who we have this time. As for Graham Carr's input he's been amazing, but before he came here, he was hardly the Jenna Jameson or the Robert de Niro of scouting was he. "This caaant wiww do, syys on 'is CV e worked fow Spurs, n e awwnly wants fowty gwaynd a yeahyay plass expenses" That would've been the conversation.

The last time we came 5th we had a lot of divvies, Jenas, Titus, "Bellas" etc...I'm much happier with who we have this time. As for Graham Carr's input he's been amazing, but before he came here, he was hardly the Jenna Jameson or the Robert de Niro of scouting was he. "This caaant wiww do, syys on 'is CV e worked fow Spurs, n e awwnly wants fowty gwaynd a yeahyay plass expenses" That would've been the conversation.

:lol: Class. They obviously interviewed a few people and he stood out though. I think they've put a lot of new systems in place that, at least for now, are working nicely with one another. Whether they'll be enough to keep us in the top 5/6 season after season will be the test. It's a bit harsh to call them lucky but someone like Tiote for £3 million and having him settle immediately carries a bit of good fortune, no matter how comprehensive the scouting.

i agree with stevie that there's a degree of luck involved when you completely rebuild your side and i wouldn't want us to take the approach we took last sumemr every year. now we've established a good team on the cheap, i'd much rather we continued from where we left off in january and added more quality and only sell on the dead wood. we should only reall sell on the key senior first team players if a silly carroll-like offer comes in for someone.

i do think the approach took last season was a gamble but you have to give a lot of credit to carr and pardew for indentifying players that few of us knew much about - they've proved to be hugely effective for not a lot of money. credit where it's due. but i wouldn't be confident that squad overhaul approach would work year in year out. teams improve the more they play together and we have a core of young and talented players that, if kept together and added to with more of the same, could be the best side we've had since the 90s.

:lol: Class. They obviously interviewed a few people and he stood out though. I think they've put a lot of new systems in place that, at least for now, are working nicely with one another. Whether they'll be enough to keep us in the top 5/6 season after season will be the test. It's a bit harsh to call them lucky but someone like Tiote for £3 million and having him settle immediately carries a bit of good fortune, no matter how comprehensive the scouting.

From the Ashley and Dekka perspective luck is a noticeable chunk of it. At the same time I think Ashley's pay up front approach to transfers must also make us more appealing than most other clubs which would help.

The only player signed in the last 2 years that I'd say we got lucky with was Tiote and even he was an International that played in the World Cup.

The likes of Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba and Santon are all well known in the previous country they played in, all are Internationals, some of them playing in top teams in their division with CL experience. We've still got the likes of Perch, Gosling, Marveaux and Obertan that haven't worked out that well so far so it's not a case of everyone fitting in straight away.

This is partially bollocks too. I think on top of the fact they're good, a reason a lot of our fans are so endeared to this team is they all seem like good lads who want to be here. Good honest professionals, I can't even remember the last time we had so many good lads playing for us. This crowd react to that, it's why when we came 12th we applauded them, they gave it their all, and were happy to be priveledged enough to play for the club. Certainly a big thing for me anyway.

Regarding it not being the end of it I hope you're right.

The fact they're all good lads isn't by accident. I'm sure I read that the club scouts players over the long term and part of the process is checking out their character, work ethic and team fit. In other words we're signing players looking at the whole package, not just their playing ability. Makes perfect sense therefore that we haven't got a load of prima donna arseholes. Add to that they're mostly young, hungry for success and ambitious, and it explains why we got talented grafters who play for the shirt rather than work shy mercenaries who spend most of their time on the treatment table.

The fact they're all good lads isn't by accident. I'm sure I read that the club scouts players over the long term and part of the process is checking out their character, work ethic and team fit. In other words we're signing players looking at the whole package, not just their playing ability. Makes perfect sense therefore that we haven't got a load of prima donna arseholes. Add to that they're mostly young, hungry for success and ambitious, and it explains why we got talented grafters who play for the shirt rather than work shy mercenaries who spend most of their time on the treatment table.

That's fine, but remind me which regime signed Joey Barton

40% (I seem to recall) of the scouting report according to Carr is about the "person".

I don't know where the "completely rebuild the side" notion comes from, we have rebuilt but over about 3 years (steady improvement), we didn't do it all last summer and I hugely doubt we'll majorly "rebuild" this summer either.

And no I'm not being "hoodwinked" by one good year, it has been 3 years of consistent improvement both on and off the pitch, each step to a higher/better level.

As for luck, consistently lucky for 3 years on a consistently more lucky basis, aye right !!! :rolleyes:

If luck came into it, it was in the selection of the manager/coaches/scouting network. The rest has been "method/science"

That's fine, but remind me which regime signed Joey Barton

Which regime recognised, by it's own admission, it got things horribly wrong and was taking "bad advice". Did something about it and has since ner put a foot wrong ????