Euro 2012 Catch-all Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it a golden boot bet? Torres actually does win it because he has the same amount of goals but more assists, they said on the commentary but obviously you wouldn't have heard if you were in a pub or whatever.

Was it a golden boot bet? Torres actually does win it because he has the same amount of goals but more assists, they said on the commentary but obviously you wouldn't have heard if you were in a pub or whatever.

I think he wins it because he got it in less minutes than Gomez.

That was a master class from Spain. Amazing goals, Italy outclassed. They will rightly go down as one of the best sides ever, alongside the Brazil of Pele in the 70s. England are so far behind, it's scary.

The best International team ever, Spain.

Brazil were nowt compared to them.

Gutted Italy were beat so easy, England are a decade behind ITALY never mind Spain

Cant compare different era's, its pointless tbh. Youve got to be 50 to remember the Brazilians of 1970 and it has to be pointed out that was the first world cup to be telelvised world wide, and the first major world event of any kind to be broadcast in colour. Some will tell you thats why it sticks in the mind so vividly of those who saw it on the box. Earlier era's had different tactics, poorer fitness levels and medical care, and heavy,cumbersome equipment....the boots and balls pre the 1970s hadnt changed much in a century and apparently it was like kicking a cannonball in pit boots, compared with a balloon and carpet slippers nowadays. The great players of previous era's would no doubt be great players in any era, for me its difficult to say that of some of the fancy dans of today, but thing is we'll never know. Anyone saying Spain are the best ever can't really justify it iyam.

But theres no doubt Spain are among the best sides in history, theyre playing football from a different planet. Christ knows how theyve got such a crop of brilliant players all coming through together. Either by accident or design its pretty much unprecedented the amount of talent they have at their disposal, and all of it seemingly keen on winning trophies, rather than falling into the pitfalls that can distract young players, especially in this country.

Edited by PaddockLad

Cant compare different era's, its pointless tbh. Youve got to be 50 to remember the Brazilians of 1970 and it has to be pointed out that was the first world cup to be telelvised world wide, and the first major world event of any kind to be broadcast in colour. Some will tell you thats why it sticks in the mind so vividly of those who saw it on the box. Earlier era's had different tactics, poorer fitness levels and medical care, and heavy,cumbersome equipment....the boots and balls pre the 1970s hadnt changed much in a century and apparently it was like kicking a cannonball in pit boots, compared with a balloon and carpet slippers nowadays. The great players of previous era's would no doubt be great players in any era, for me its difficult to say that of some of the fancy dans of today, but thing is we'll never know. Anyone saying Spain are the best ever can't really justify it iyam.

But theres no doubt Spain are among the best sides in history, theyre playing football from a different planet. Christ knows how theyve got such a crop of brilliant players all coming through together. Either by accident or design its pretty much unprecedented the amount of talent they have at their disposal, and all of it seemingly keen on winning trophies, rather than falling into the pitfalls that can distract young players, especially in this country.

All true, plus the rule changes, a 70's Italy would have been down to 5 men by half time.

Indeed, my mum was pretty unprepared for the list of things I called him when he passed it to mata :lol:

Had buckleys of scoring it anyway. On his left with Buffon closing him down. Less chance of scoring once he passed it though :P

Buckleys. :lol:

The only thing more boring than Spain have been in this tournament (up until last night) is all the clever cunts today going:

"Errrr Spain are boring are they. *smirk* Errrr I don't think so. *snigger* If you were a football purist like me you'd never have even thought that for a second and it will haunt you for the rest of your life that you did."

Fuck you el dullardo.

4-0 was very harsh on Italy, but going down to 10 men killed the game off.

Spanish waited until the very last game to turn on the class. Jordi Alba has looked an excellent player all tournament long, unreal run for the goal.

Brilliant tournament on the whole, really enjoyed it and only 2 or 3 games were boring to watch which says a lot about the quality of football on display.

Buckleys. :lol:

The only thing more boring than Spain have been in this tournament (up until last night) is all the clever cunts today going:

"Errrr Spain are boring are they. *smirk* Errrr I don't think so. *snigger* If you were a football purist like me you'd never have even thought that for a second and it will haunt you for the rest of your life that you did."

Fuck you el dullardo.

Disputed the "boring" bit with you after the group game, so I'm not in the "today" camp.

Spains recent record:

TOTAL P 46 W 41 D 4 L 1 F 103 A 22

24/3/07 Denmark (h) ECQ W 2-1

28/3/07 Iceland (h) ECQ W 1-0

2/6/07 Latvia (a) ECQ W 2-0

6/6/07 Liechtenstein (a) ECQ W 2-0

8/9/07 Iceland (a) ECQ D 1-1

12/9/07 Latvia (h) ECQ W 2-0

13/10/07 Denmark (a) ECQ W 3-1

17/11/07 Sweden (h) ECQ W 3-0

21/11/07 Northern Ireland (h) ECQ W 1-0

10/6/08 Russia (n) ECF W 4-1

14/6/08 Sweden (n) ECF W 2-1

18/6/08 Greece (n) ECF W 2-1

22/6/08 Italy (n) ECF D 0-0

26/6/08 Russia (n) ECF W 3-0

29/6/08 Germany (n) ECF W 1-0

6/9/08 Bosnia and Herzegovina (h) WCQ W 1-0

10/9/08 Armenia (h) WCQ W 4-0

11/10/08 Estonia (a) WCQ W 3-0

15/10/08 Belgium (a) WCQ W 2-1

28/3/09 Turkey (h) WCQ W 1-0

1/4/09 Turkey (a) WCQ W 2-1

5/9/09 Belgium (h) WCQ W 5-0

9/9/09 Estonia (h) WCQ W 3-0

10/10/09 Armenia (a) WCQ W 2-1

14/10/09 Bosnia and Herzegovina (a) WCQ W 5-2

16/6/10 Switzerland (n) WCF L 0-1

21/6/10 Honduras (n) WCF W 2-0

25/6/10 Chile (n) WCF W 2-1

29/6/10 Portugal (n) WCF W 1-0

3/7/10 Paraguay (n) WCF W 1-0

7/7/10 Germany (n) WCF W 1-0

11/7/10 Holland (n) WCF W 1-0

3/9/10 Liechtenstein (a) ECQ W 4-0

8/10/10 Lithuania (h) ECQ W 3-1

12/10/10 Scotland (a) ECQ W 3-2

25/3/11 Czech Republic (h) ECQ W 2-1

29/3/11 Lithuania (a) ECQ W 3-1

6/9/11 Liechtenstein (h) ECQ W 6-0

7/10/11 Czech Republic (a) ECQ W 2-0

11/10/11 Scotland (h) ECQ W 3-1

10/6/12 Italy (n) ECF D 1-1

14/6/12 Republic of Ireland (n) ECF W 4-0

18/6/12 Croatia (n) ECF W 1-0

23/6/12 France (n) ECF W 2-0

27/6/12 Portugal (n) ECF D 0-0

1/7/12 Italy (n) ECF W 4-0

Those pointing out Spain are boring have a point.....on the days that Arsenal dont click into gear completley a gooner ST holder of my aquaintance says theyre sterile,dull and passionless....iyam he should know better as hes been going since the late 70s and can remember Arsenal at their long ball worst, there again, his ST is 1200 quid a year, more than twice what mine costs.

Spains dominance of possesion can be a bit dull, but that is essentially how they defend i.e. if the opposisition dont have the ball, they cant score, which is about as easy on the eye as England not bothering with the ball too much v Italy, but makes the chances of actually winning a game a lot greater..Hodgson take note etc.. Spain struggled to break a couple of sides down who had their tactics spot on, especially Portugal and Italy in the first game. Too little emphasis is placed on the sometimes excellent tactics of the opponenets, in the BBC studio especially. Too much glib generalisation from those who should know better makes for an ill informed general public...that'll be you Lawro, and any ex Liverpool centre half of the early 80s who criticises any team for playing dull possesion football really needs to have a fuckin word with themselves. Spain weren't at their brilliant best for a couple of games and their names mud, you shouldnt be able to make shit like that up, but obviously am wrong in that thought.

Spain are like Arsenal, only better, by a long way as well. They actually win things. Not that I'd criticise Wenger for that, with his budget and the new stadium to move to and pay off his record over the last few years is briliant iyam, and you cant come up a team thats been recruited by billioanires and paid accordingly in international football, you've got to deal with the cards you've got. Thats the other thing, this generation of Spanish players is the best any country that I've seen have by light years. But theyre only human and dont do it every time, but thats the only way theyre like any other team.

• I think England will get out of the group, purely because Ukraine and Sweden are shite. - we did
  • I think we'll draw with France, they're alright but they're not Spain. - we drew 1-1
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we draw 2 of the 3 games and win one. - we were involved in draws
  • Regardless it ends in the Quarters - aye
  • Spain will win it again. - aye, absolutely pissed it
  • Germany will be shite. - aye
  • Portugal will turn the krauts over. - lost 1-0
  • Russia will win comfortably on Friday. - won 4-1
  • Ireland and Italy will get 1 point each a draw between each other - wide of the mark
  • Poland will win their group. - wide of the mark
  • Ukraine will go out in the first round. - they did
  • Ronaldo will be top scorer in the competition. - still joint top scorer, ended joint top scorer
  • Howard Webb will make a few fuck ups. - more than a few
  • If you back Ireland against Spain with a +2 handicap you'll still lose. - Ireland lost 4-0

Not bad.

The best International team ever, Spain.

Brazil were nowt compared to them.

Gutted Italy were beat so easy, England are a decade behind ITALY never mind Spain

No we're not. If you think about NUFC's transformation over recent years, it didnt take a huge amount of new players. One or two play an exceptionally important role for us, in particular Cabaye and Tiote. England competed very well in the first half against Italy and were certainly their equal. We might have matched Italy for longer if we had a couple of extra top class players. We just lack a bit of quality. I have my doubts about Hodgson's rigid adherence to 4-4-2 but with our own (NUFC) English manager deploying a mixture of 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-4-1-1 over the season, there is nothing about 4-4-2 which is intrinsically linked to England. The reason why Italy dominated the second half was because without high levels of energy Italy's diamond compressed further our two lines of 4, giving the base (Pirlo) insane amounts of space. I'd question Hodgson but to be fair, its not like he had time to work on 4 or 5 different systems with them.

Are Holland and Russia a decade behind Italy? No, of course they arent and neither are we. Spain on the other hand is a different question...

That's a different situation though Chez, surely. In club football you can just go into the market today fix problems.

In international football, we have proven ourselves terrible at retaining possession for years now, and that stems back all the way to grass roots coaching. And it's huge at international level, and these 35 percenters are the best England has to offer.

You can't fix that without a) recognition of the problem, B) investment to put it right and then c) time to allow the players benefitting to work through the system.

In that regard, you could say that a decade is a conservative estimate. You probably need closer to 15 or 20 years to really see the difference.

Kids are barely out of their diapers when the differences re training and mindset kicks in - possession and having fun vs "get stuck in" / "get it forward man" etc.

Gremling is probs right, takes 15+ years to fix.

Not bad.

magic stuff stevie, you were really out there with some of those.

so im guessing only italy and spain weren't shite? since germany got to the semi finals looking the best team in the tournament to that point

magic stuff stevie, you were really out there with some of those.

so im guessing only italy and spain weren't shite? since germany got to the semi finals looking the best team in the tournament to that point

Had this conversation that Germany looked amazing with a few people. My only conclusion is a lot of people haven't got a clue about football. They were functional and that's it, they got their results without being amazing, and were well beaten off Italy as I thought they would be, and would have been against Spain. It's just a popular thing to say "you can't look far past the Germans", why not? Spain have a better player in nearly every position.

well done on sidestepping my point and arguing against a different one

the won every group game (the only side to do so) and destroyed greece in the quarter final before coming unstuck in the semis

"shite"

That's a different situation though Chez, surely. In club football you can just go into the market today fix problems.

In international football, we have proven ourselves terrible at retaining possession for years now, and that stems back all the way to grass roots coaching. And it's huge at international level, and these 35 percenters are the best England has to offer.

You can't fix that without a) recognition of the problem, B) investment to put it right and then c) time to allow the players benefitting to work through the system.

In that regard, you could say that a decade is a conservative estimate. You probably need closer to 15 or 20 years to really see the difference.

Usually with a foreigner.

Nail on head Gemmill. Been a problem for 30 odd years +, not going to get fixed in 10.

well done on sidestepping my point and arguing against a different one

the won every group game (the only side to do so) and destroyed greece in the quarter final before coming unstuck in the semis

"shite"

Where did I sidestep your point? Your point was Germany were the best side in the tournament to that point, where did I sidestep that point? I said you were talking shit although trust me regarding Germany you're far from alone in talking shite, they were functional. Sneaked results, if that's the best side then fine, I don't think they were. Scrappy in all bar one half in the group games, functional against the Greeks, found out against Italy where they ran out of ideas. Your other point that I was out there with some of those, nearly everything I said had no better than a 1 in 3 chance of happening.

Edited by McFaul