Moon Landings

Christmas Tree

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the satellite would radiate heat into the vacuum of space. What about this aren't you understanding? :lol:

The satellite would radiate heat only from and around it's own components, so yes, in space but only in the space near the component radiating the heat, meaning burnt out components.

The satellite would radiate heat only from and around it's own components, so yes, in space but only in the space near the component radiating the heat, meaning burnt out components.

What magic is keeping the heat from radiating into space?

What magic is keeping the heat from radiating into space?

A few things.

The vacuum itself, the tin foil and the lack of a fan, which as I said is pointless in a vacuum.

The components would radiate their heat but it cannot travel fast enough away , so it builds up and builds up, eventually burning the component out.

Take a look at your own computer and tell me what would happen of it didn't have a fan inside it and that's in an atmosphere.

A few things.

The vacuum itself, the tin foil and the lack of a fan, which as I said is pointless in a vacuum.

The components would radiate their heat but it cannot travel fast enough away , so it builds up and builds up, eventually burning the component out.

Take a look at your own computer and tell me what would happen of it didn't have a fan inside it and that's in an atmosphere.

Yeah... you don't understand the physics of a vacuum. Or Heat.

Vacuum is an area with no particles or a very small number of particles, yeah?

And heat is energised particles, right?

So, if "heat" requires particles to bang off each other and they are exposed to a vacuum where there are bugger all particles to hit, they lose energy as the energy is quickly dissipated.

I hope I've explained that so that you understand the physics of heat in a vacuum a little better. :good:

Because it's true. And you're right, peanuts are lovely.

No it's not, it's because they are made of thermally efficient metal, with a filling of thermally efficient material, similar to that used in the roofs of housing, between the inner and outer shells of the thermos.

The only reason it is silver is because it's made out of metal, ie stainless steel.

You know peanuts aren't actually a nut?

Yeah... you don't understand the physics of a vacuum. Or Heat.

Vacuum is an area with no particles or a very small number of particles, yeah?

And heat is energised particles, right?

So, if "heat" requires particles to bang off each other and they are exposed to a vacuum where there are bugger all particles to hit, they lose energy as the energy is quickly dissipated.

I hope I've explained that so that you understand the physics of heat in a vacuum a little better. :good:

Aye I understand heat in a vacuum and I also understand how components burn out if they are not vented/fanned.

No it's not, it's because they are made of thermally efficient metal, with a filling of thermally efficient material, similar to that used in the roofs of housing, between the inner and outer shells of the thermos.

The only reason it is silver is because it's made out of metal, ie stainless steel.

You know peanuts aren't actually a nut?

You have a lot to learn Sammy lad.

Aye I understand heat in a vacuum and I also understand how components burn out if they are not vented/fanned.

Ok you say that, but by ignoring the basic physics I just explained you're proving that you don't.

Can you name the three ways heat is transferred?

On Earth its convection, radiation and conduction.

Why the "On Earth" prefix?

If you were to place a device in a vacuum on Earth it would still be transferring heat by convection, radiation and diffusion (conduction).

:lol: I'm very much not.

If I am, be my guest and prove it.

Convection needs air or water...in space, that's pointless, so there's your first thing.

Conduction is needing the use of particles to hit each other for heat to travel in something like a solid, which space being basically devoid of the particles we have on Earth, it renders that just about pointless as well and even if there are a small amount of particles in the vacuum of space, they would not collide anywhere near as they would on Earth, so there's two that are pointless basically.

Convection needs air or water...in space, that's pointless, so there's your first thing.

Conduction is needing the use of particles to hit each other for heat to travel in something like a solid, which space being basically devoid of the particles we have on Earth, it renders that just about pointless as well and even if there are a small amount of particles in the vacuum of space, they would not collide anywhere near as they would on Earth, so there's two that are pointless basically.

Convection, radiation and diffusion need particles.

So you're still to prove why that Satellites wouldn't radiate heat in Space?

Convection, radiation and diffusion need particles.

So you're still to prove why that Satellites wouldn't radiate heat in Space?

I said they would radiate heat, I just said it would be radiated around it's own components and would radiate so slowly it would burn them out.

I said they would radiate heat, I just said it would be radiated around it's own components and would radiate so slowly it would burn them out.

:lol: Ok, I'll rephrase because you're being obtuse.

So, you're still to prove why Satellites wouldn't radiate heat into Space?

:lol: Ok, I'll rephrase because you're being obtuse.

So, you're still to prove why Satellites wouldn't radiate heat into Space?

Once again, I said they would radiate heat into space but only the space around the actual component as there is no fan or mechanism that can push it away.

Like I said, take a look at your own computer and switch off your fan and see how long your components last before over heating and burning out. And that's in an atmosphere not a vacuum.

Once again, I said they would radiate heat into space but only the space around the actual component as there is no fan or mechanism that can push it away.

Like I said, take a look at your own computer and switch off your fan and see how long your components last before over heating and burning out. And that's in an atmosphere not a vacuum.

Again you're avoiding the question. Why wouldn't the Satellite radiate heat into space?

Again, you are asking the same question and I'll give you the same answer. just look above your post.

You're giving an answer, just not an answer to my question.

It's akin to you asking me how I'm getting home tonight and me telling you I'm having homemade lasagne for tea.

I'll try and rephrase the question (again) to try and make things easier for you;

Say that a satellite operates in the vacuum of space, and Objects radiate heat in a vacuum on Earth,

Which properties present in the vacuum of space and absent from the vacuums on Earth are there, that would prevent the heat from the satellite radiating from the satellite into the vacuum of space and thereby keeping the temperature within the parameters that would enable the satellite to remain functioning?

You're giving an answer, just not an answer to my question.

It's akin to you asking me how I'm getting home tonight and me telling you I'm having homemade lasagne for tea.

I'll try and rephrase the question (again) to try and make things easier for you;

Say that a satellite operates in the vacuum of space, and Objects radiate heat in a vacuum on Earth,

Which properties present in the vacuum of space and absent from the vacuums on Earth are there, that would prevent the heat from the satellite radiating from the satellite into the vacuum of space and thereby keeping the temperature within the parameters that would enable the satellite to remain functioning?

There are no parameters that would keep a satellite functioning in the vacuum of space because there is no AIR around the components to move the heat, therefore the heat , for want of a better word stays around the component.

Basically it's too slow to radiate it's heat.

The best way I can explain is to imagine standing in a tiny room with all windows closed with your electric fire on. Soon enough you will get warm and then warmer and then so warm that you start dehydrating until you eventually collapse due to the heat build up that is only cooling down a fraction at a time.

If you opened a door, then your heat would vent out. You don't have that luxury in space.

There are no parameters that would keep a satellite functioning in the vacuum of space because there is no AIR around the components to move the heat, therefore the heat , for want of a better word stays around the component.

Basically it's too slow to radiate it's heat.

The best way I can explain is to imagine standing in a tiny room with all windows closed with your electric fire on. Soon enough you will get warm and then warmer and then so warm that you start dehydrating until you eventually collapse due to the heat build up that is only cooling down a fraction at a time.

If you opened a door, then your heat would vent out. You don't have that luxury in space.

To correct your analogy, it'd be like you had a a room so vast you can't see the walls and you've got a heater. No matter how long you keep that heater on, the room is not going to warm up to the point the heater fails.

Space is massive, it's so indescribably vast it's easier to say it's infinite (which it may very well be) So a satellite, radiating heat into the great expanse will not heat up quicker than it cools down.

It's not even the heat from the components that requires regulation, it's the energy radiation from the Sun, the Sun's energy rebounded heat from the earth and the Earth's energy itself. The Satellite regulates the extremes by pointing it's radiating areas in the darkness of space to cool down and at a source of energy when it needs warming.

your analogy proves you don't understand the nature of space, and if you can't understand the nature of space how can you possibly state what does or does not happen?

To correct your analogy, it'd be like you had a a room so vast you can't see the walls and you've got a heater. No matter how long you keep that heater on, the room is not going to warm up to the point the heater fails.

Space is massive, it's so indescribably vast it's easier to say it's infinite (which it may very well be) So a satellite, radiating heat into the great expanse will not heat up quicker than it cools down.

It's not even the heat from the components that requires regulation, it's the energy radiation from the Sun, the Sun's energy rebounded heat from the earth and the Earth's energy itself. The Satellite regulates the extremes by pointing it's radiating areas in the darkness of space to cool down and at a source of energy when it needs warming.

your analogy proves you don't understand the nature of space, and if you can't understand the nature of space how can you possibly state what does or does not happen?

I think it proves you don;t know what you're talking about.

I'm talking about the small room with a heater in, as in the inside of the satellite not outside.

Also, the satellite turning away from the sun to cool down is laughable in the extreme.

Space is neither hot nor cold, so what's to cool down?

You are correct about the sun though hitting the satellite( if there was one in space, which there isn't) because the sun would basically render the components inside it, toast anyway, just like cooking a Turkey in foil in an oven.

Trying to be smart does not make you smart Fish. ;)