Lance Armstrong

Gemmill

Guest CabayeAye

Sounds guilty as fuck, TBF. Bit of a shame to establish yourself as a legend only to tarnish your image and lose all respect.

I'd be more surprised to find a roadie who was clean. My money is on the fact that even Wiggins is doped up to the eyeballs. Road cycling has been always dirty as fuck drugs wise.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds guilty as fuck, TBF. Bit of a shame to establish yourself as a legend only to tarnish your image and lose all respect.

I'd be more surprised to find a roadie who was clean. My money is on the fact that even Wiggins is doped up to the eyeballs. Road cycling has been always dirty as fuck drugs wise.

During the drug heyday times would improve as the race went on. Bionic men would be doing final legs faster than humanly possible. Times have dropped way off on that and now align with tiredness being a factor. Wiggins is much slower than winners were 10 years ago. Suggesting he's clean before testing...which is much more rigorous.

Here's an extract from that Wiggins article I referenced earlier in the thread. Kinda hard not to believe him tbh:

The question that needs to be asked is not why wouldn't I take drugs, but why would I? I know exactly why I wouldn't dope. To start with, I come to professional road-racing from a different background to a lot of guys. There is a different culture in British cycling. Britain is a country where doping is not morally acceptable. I was born in Belgium but I grew up in the British environment, with the Olympic side of the sport as well as the Tour de France. I don't care what people say, the attitude to doping in the UK is different to in Italy or France maybe, where a rider like Richard Virenque can dope, be caught, be banned, come back and be a national hero.

If I doped I would potentially stand to lose everything. It's a long list. My reputation, my livelihood, my marriage, my family, my house. Everything I have achieved, my Olympic medals, my world titles, the CBE I was given. I would have to take my children to the school gates in a small Lancashire village with everyone looking at me, knowing I had cheated, knowing I had, perhaps, won the Tour de France, but then been caught. I remember in 2007 throwing that Cofidis kit in the bin at that small airport, where no one knew me, because I didn't want any chance of being associated with doping. Then I imagine how it would be in a tiny community where everyone knows everyone.

It's not just about me. I've always lived in the UK. All my friends in cycling are here, and my extended family. Cycling isn't just about me and the Tour de France. My wife organises races in Lancashire. I have my own sportif, with people coming and paying £40 each to ride. If all that was built on sand, if I was deceiving all those people, I would have to live with the knowledge it could all disappear just like that. My father-in-law works at British Cycling and would never be able to show his face there again. Their family have been in cycling for 50 years, and I would bring shame and embarrassment on them. It's not just about me: if I doped it would jeopardise Sky – who sponsor the entire sport in the UK – Dave Brailsford and all he has done, and Tim Kerrison, my trainer. I would not want to end up sitting in a room with all that hanging on me, thinking: "Shit, I don't want anyone to find out."

That is not something I wish to live with. Doping would simply be not worth it. This is only sport we are talking about. Sport does not mean more to me than all those other things I have. Winning the Tour de France at any cost is not worth the possibility of losing all that.

I am not willing to risk all those things I've got in my life. I do it because I love it. I don't do it for a power trip: at the end of the day, I'm a shy bloke looking forward to taking my son to summer rugby camp after the Tour, where he could maybe bump into his hero, Sam Tomkins. That's what's keeping me going here. What I love is doing my best and working hard. If I felt I had to take drugs, I would rather stop tomorrow, go and ride club 10-mile time trials, ride to the cafe on Sundays, and work in Tesco stacking shelves.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jul/13/bradley-wiggins-dope-drugs

Really not sure what to believe currently. It all needs to be finitely settled for a lot of reasons.

It seems there's been a fair few in the press have been after his yellow ass for a while though.

This from earlier in the year raising questions about his charity. Lengthy but worth a read.

Donations to which were up 25 fold within 24 hours of his announcement the other day according to the man himself.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/lance-armstrong/Its-Not-About-the-Lab-Rats.html?page=all

Found this earlier today - some wag referring Armstrong's shambles to Rangers ...

"As reported today, Lance Armstrong will be stripped of his Tour De France titles. I have decided to call myself The Lance Armstrong, buy his old bike, claim his titles & demand entry into next years tour. If anyone objects I will call them a bigot.

Lance Armstrong then, Lance Armstrong now, Lance Armstrong forever.

We don't do cycling away......"

Imagine the smell if there was a fire!

I think I can .

I went for a piss in the kermit at The Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes the other day .

Nearly lost the use of me eyes that I was born with .

Edited by LoveTheBobby

With the Olympics, if the winner is later disqualified for cheating they don't usually 'upgrade' the silver medallist to gold. I'm not sure about that, I can see they want the gold medallist to win outright, not by default, but it's a bit unfair on the other athletes to be denied gold because they had the misfortune to compete against a cheat.

Apparently if they do take his TDF titles off him, some of the races have to go down to 5th place to pick a winner due to the number of cyclists who have been banned since :lol:

Yeah i was thinking this. Have they got evidence against other riders like?

I thought they did in the olympics, eg after Ben Johnson?

Ah my mistake, I'd been reading about Marion Jones and the 2000 Olympics - they didn't reallocate her 100m gold (because one the lass in 2nd was 'dodgy' although never proven) but they did for her 200m. And they did of course with Johnson in '88. They must do it case-by-case and they're not as consistent as you would have thought/hoped.

The thing with the upgrading silver to gold, is that the doper still denies that person of their "moment" - the crazy, crossing-the-line-first euphoria, followed by the medal presentation, returning home the champion, and all the rest that comes with that. Apart from being cheating dickheads, they make it so that the real champion never really gets to feel like the real champion.

The thing with the upgrading silver to gold, is that the doper still denies that person of their "moment" - the crazy, crossing-the-line-first euphoria, followed by the medal presentation, returning home the champion, and all the rest that comes with that. Apart from being cheating dickheads, they make it so that the real champion never really gets to feel like the real champion.

Exactly right. Sport is all about the moment. The guy who finished 5th a few years ago in the TDF isn't going to be that elated with his winners medal now, is he?

What else can you do? I'd feel happy and cheated at the same time if it was me.

Unless you were cheating too. The problem with cycling is that doping seems to have been widespread, almost endemic. If Armstrong was cheating, but all the other top cyclists were too, then ironically he'd still be a champion of sorts. All conjecture on my part of course.

Apparently if they do take his TDF titles off him, some of the races have to go down to 5th place to pick a winner due to the number of cyclists who have been banned since :lol:

seems most of the top 10 riders from 96 to 2007 have been on the red meat or the juice (EPO) for some time. they also had illegal blood transfusions to get their blood count up and also some masked the EPO usage with injections of plasma and other substances.... so i've read.

effectively Armstrong is the biggest fraud in sport, for my money. he also damaged the reputations of other (more clean riders) and was extraordinarily litigious and very egotistical. his party line with journalists who looked at his record etc was to act as "cancer Jesus" as one journo put it.

luckily the testing has caught up with the athletes and wiggins ( i beleive) has won cleanly. he's been helped by what would be the strongest group of riders I think has been assembled in the sport and with Dave Brailsford running the show, they were bound to be very analytical about the whole Tour and the preceding events (also the Vuelta ... running now).

Unless you were cheating too. The problem with cycling is that doping seems to have been widespread, almost endemic. If Armstrong was cheating, but all the other top cyclists were too, then ironically he'd still be a champion of sorts. All conjecture on my part of course.

actually hit the nail on the head there. most of the peloton in the TDF around his time was on a variety of concoctions...

• 1 month later...