Reasons to be cheerful, part 3

Howmanheyman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you ask....

1. My brother (some of you know him, Stu, Lanky Bell Wipe) has had worsening hearing and balance problems for the past 5 years. He's been almost totally deaf for a year or so at least and last weekend his balance got so bad he couldn't walk. Wheelchair for him since then. The docs have always said they couldn't halt his worsening condition, but following an MRI earlier in the week they have found an aneurysm, and we're hoping something can be done. He's been in ST hospital all week and is waiting to go to the RVI to see a neuro-surgeon, so fingers are crossed.

2. My mother who has not been able to leave the house in 3 years and has been in hospital for 2 months is due her 3rd (and hopefully final) operation soon, so fingers are crossed.

3. The property that they had joint ownership of, which I was lumbered with managing as an empty money drain, and which I asked for advice about on here 2 years ago when it had already sold at auction but could not complete, is finally off our hands completely after a long and infuriating legal battle. Money going into their bank today.

Been laughing with the family that most people would see our current situation as bloody depressing, but it feels like we're coming out the end of a very long dark tunnel at the moment.....touch wood with fingers crossed.

Christ, good luck HF. Just goes to show how much shit people have to deal with behind their alter egos.

Fwiw my life was in pieces earlier this year but now couldn't be better.

Christ, good luck HF. Just goes to show how much shit people have to deal with behind their alter egos.

Fwiw my life was in pieces earlier this year but now couldn't be better.

My life couldn't be better otherwise tbf....completed on our new house last week, getting married in 4 weeks, off on a month long honeymoon after, then time to start making babies :) it's all coming together nicely all at once with all the improvements in the above situations...hence "reason to be cheerful".

Bloody hell Chris, really sorry to hear about all that. Can you send my very best regards on to your kid for me, fingers toes and everything crossed that he is ok.

Will do cheers. He's still cracking jokes on Facetube and smiling through it....the legend that he is.

:lol:

I hope you don't think I was trying to be funny, I wasn't.

You've had a right shit sandwich to chew on and it's great there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Not at all, just a Seinfeld freak so it popped straight into my head.

My life couldn't be better otherwise tbf....completed on our new house last week, getting married in 4 weeks, off on a month long honeymoon after, then time to start making babies :) it's all coming together nicely all at once with all the improvements in the above situations...hence "reason to be cheerful".

Being able to find the good side and look on it is a hugely underrated ability. Good on you, and all the very best to your mam and your brother. :good:

One of my patients last night was an Eastern European lady who, due to complications with pregnancy, ended up in theatre. She and her husband spoke very little English and her husband reminded me very much of Vladimir Putin (he just did!) He was polite but very curt, almost quite cold in his manner. Despite not knowing how much they understood, I chatted with them the whole time, explained everything that was happening, reassured them constantly and even had a bit of tear in my eye when baba was delivered safe and sound after a bit of an emergency. Spent the next couple of hours with them in recovery to make sure the lady was stable, and whilst she and I managed to forge a decent level of very simple conversation, he said next to nothing to me. He was very attentive to his wife and new baby but I got the impression that my usual charm offensive wasn't having much impact.

Anyway, it turned out that I was leaving to go back to my department, he was going to go home (it was about 3am) and return in the morning so I offered to walk with him and let him out of the coded doors with my pass. As we got outside he just stopped and said "It was very long day and things went not good. When things are not good it made me scared. You made me not scared any more. Thank you. You do your job very well. Goodnight" And he turned and walked away to his car.

It just made me smile all the way back to the theatre dept. Maybe sometimes we are appreciated even when it feels like we're really not. :)

As we got outside he just stopped and said "It was very long day and things went not good. When things are not good it made me scared. You made me not scared any more."

Sorry to hear that, Cat, if it's any consolation you still scare the b'jesus out the rest of us. ;)

Sorry to hear that, Cat, if it's any consolation you still scare the b'jesus out the rest of us. ;)

Good, good. I'd hate to think I was losing my touch ;)

Now if any of you need anaesthetising, I'll just get CT to talk to you for half an hour or so....

I reckon he recognised you from one of your "special" films and didn't know how to say " I have cracked out several, thank you"

:lol::outahere:

I'm not sure them little legs of yours can run that fast, shithead! :lol:

I reckon he recognised you from one of your "special" films and didn't know how to say " I have cracked out several, thank you"

:lol::outahere:

Reminds me of an old nurse joke.....

......which I wont bore you with. :)

That's nice Cath

You do know all Eastern Europeans are murderers though, right? What you've taken as him reaching out to you is in fact a precursor to hours of torture and eventual agonising death.

That's nice Cath

You do know all Eastern Europeans are murderers though, right? What you've taken as him reaching out to you is in fact a precursor to hours of torture and eventual agonising death.

I best stop at home tonight and drink wine instead then..