Boro agree to let Schwarzer leave

Shearergol

From BBC Sport:

Middlesbrough have accepted a transfer request from goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

The 33-year-old Australian joined Boro in January 1997 for £1.5m from Bradford City and has since played 342 games for the Riverside Stadium club.

Schwarzer signed a new contract with Boro only a year ago which would have kept it him at the club until 2008.

Schwarzer's agent Barry Silkman told BBC Sport: "Mark feels its time to move on - he wants to stay in England, but he wouldn't rule out going abroad."

Silkman added: "Ideally he'll move in January - but who knows in football?"

"When his contract was running out I had three or four Premier League clubs call me but Mark at that time was not interested in talking to them, he just wanted to stay at Middlesbrough."

Boro manager Steve McClaren told the club's official website: "We are disappointed that Mark has made this decision but we respect his feelings.

"In the football club's best interests, we have agreed to his request and will listen to any offers we receive."

The former Kaiserslautern stopper has been linked wiith a move to Arsenal and he was booed by Boro fans during the Boxing Day defeat to Blackburn.

Schwarzer has played 23 times for McClaren's side this season but Boro have struggled in the Premiership and languish in 16th place, five points above the drop zone.

Sydney-born Schwarzer was a part of the Australian team that booked a place in the World Cup finals by beating Uruguay in a two-legged play-off in November.

Given to Arsenal, Schwarzer to Newcastle. Odds?

Arsenal pay for Given, gives Souness the funds he requires to "wheel and deal".

We bring in Schwarzer at a reduced fee, as now he's asked for the transfer Boro don't have to pay him anything in the sale.

Boro take Jaaskalainen (spl) from Bolton who is unsettled, and Bolton take one of the gunners keepers.

Sorted :lol:

;)

We bring in Schwarzer at a reduced fee, as now he's asked for the transfer Boro don't have to pay him anything in the sale.

Boro take Jaaskalainen (spl) from Bolton who is unsettled, and Bolton take one of the gunners keepers.

;)

75080[/snapback]

If this happens i will personally hunt souness down and shoot him myself, my hatred for the man is now getting out of control and sill posts like yours aren't helping

;)

;)

75080[/snapback]

You're worse than Tribal Football. ;)

;)

75080[/snapback]

A Toontastic exclusive!

At one time he wasn't that bad, but the Boro fans have tunred on him for a reason, and that reason is that he's become shite.  :lol:

75094[/snapback]

;) He seems to be the scapegoat round here at the moment.

I actually think he's a good keeper, I know one of the boro physios who tells me he's a great lad: good trainer, down to earth, good with the kids. A 'proper' person.

I got a text from an Arsenal supporting colleague first thing this morning saying that Given was on his way to Highbury this month and that we were getting Schwarzer as his replacement.

I thought at the time it was bullshit, but about 90mins later when SSN announced 'exclusively' that Schwarzer had had a transfer request accepted by Boro I began to wonder.... :lol:

I got a text from an Arsenal supporting colleague first thing this morning saying that Given was on his way to Highbury this month and that we were getting Schwarzer as his replacement.

I thought at the time it was bullshit, but about 90mins later when SSN announced 'exclusively' that Schwarzer had had a transfer request accepted by Boro I began to wonder.... :lol:

75509[/snapback]

I hope to god he's wrong otherwise I'm looking at a 12 stretch

:lol:

I hope to god he's wrong otherwise I'm looking at a 12 stretch

75513[/snapback]

I was just thinking the same thing, justifiable homicide tbh.

75080[/snapback]

A Toontastic exclusive!

75093[/snapback]

Newcastle-Online wont be happy about this!!