World Issues

wykikitoon

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that puzzles me is how you can "offend" Islam - what can you say beyond stating that the founder consummated a marriage with a 9 year old and killed and enslaved millions that could be so bad?

I agree with Chez about its less dodgy now than it was during the cold war - I'd recommend "The power of nightmares" - a documentary from a few years ago that explains how those in charge need a bogeyman to keep us in line.

One thing that puzzles me is how you can "offend" Islam - what can you say beyond stating that the founder consummated a marriage with a 9 year old and killed and enslaved millions that could be so bad?

I agree with Chez about its less dodgy now than it was during the cold war - I'd recommend "The power of nightmares" - a documentary from a few years ago that explains how those in charge need a bogeyman to keep us in line.

I've just downloaded that actually. The three parter aye?

I was watching the New the other night and was dissapointed with the people in London buring the American flag. Why are they allowed to do this? Why didnt the Police stop it from happening? What would happen if I, a white man started burining the Pakistani flag?

I was watching the New the other night and was dissapointed with the people in London buring the American flag. Why are they allowed to do this? Why didnt the Police stop it from happening? What would happen if I, a white man started burining the Pakistani flag?

Afaik it's not an offence to burn either flag unless you're causing a public order offence in doing so. Could anyone here give a shit about the stars and stripes being burnt?

Power of nightmares was a good series well worth watching. Agreed with it at the time and it's been quite prophetic.

He would probably be smart enough not to stand so close to it that any fumes would kill him, like they did to that Paki. the other day.

Even in this dark time you get the occasional laugh.

He would probably be smart enough not to stand so close to it that any fumes would kill him, like they did to that Paki. the other day.

Even in this dark time you get the occasional laugh.

What?

I was totally staggered when I learned Luanda is the second most expensive city to live in the world for expatriates.

As was Lagos 20 years ago. The regular Angolans are living in poverty while the rich bastards speed about in ferraris. Neo-colonialism by the Portuguese imo.

:lol: The prior influx of expats into Nigeria, which is a similar sub Saharan oil exporter, leading into Lagos becoming an expensive city while most regular citizens can hardly feed their families, with a dictatorship feeding off profits. Was just saying that Angola is similar now, think you looked too much into it ;)

And yet, you don't object to the term "yank" being used in a derogatory manner, do you?

Bit selective, aren't you?

If one of your kids brought home a pakistani and says "lookuh fatha, we're getting married", what would you say.

"You t'grandad would be turnin int grave" no doubt.