The murder of 2 WPC's in Manchester today.

catmag

Have a referendum.

Power to the people and all that shit.

What an astonishingly bad idea that would be. You're a fucking lunatic if you think letting the public decide on something like this is a good plan.

They'll vote yes, cops will kill someone, they'll wail that the cops are trigger happy.

People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

It's always a strange one that. The idea is that we elect someone to represent us, yet on several issues they clearly don't. I understand why etc before a lecture cometh.

Personally I think I lean towards having a death penalty and it would be swinging in the Market square.

The british police are supposed to work for the public, not the military or the government. Arming the police would break this bond; we should be proud of it and preserve it. Besides, the police don't want to be armed as they know it would make them less safe.

I'd be interested to know how our police murder rate compares with other countires, especially the US. Anyone know?

What an astonishingly bad idea that would be. You're a fucking lunatic if you think letting the public decide on something like this is a good plan.

They'll vote yes, cops will kill someone, they'll wail that the cops are trigger happy.

People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Actually, I meant referendum on the death penalty.

Do you really feel your fellow citizens are incapable of successfully molding this country through the ballot box? I do, but I'm surprised you do.

The british police are supposed to work for the public, not the military or the government. Arming the police would break this bond; we should be proud of it and preserve it. Besides, the police don't want to be armed as they know it would make them less safe.

I'd be interested to know how our police murder rate compares with other countires, especially the US. Anyone know?

Nearest I could find, as many die "in the line of duty" in car accidents as get shot though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2079428/Big-rise-number-U-S-police-officers-killed-work.html

Actually, I meant referendum on the death penalty.

Do you really feel your fellow citizens are incapable of successfully molding this country through the ballot box? I do, but I'm surprised you do.

I think my fellow citizens are reactionary idiots on the whole and what they're supposed to do is elect people who they trust to make decisions they're not informed enough to make themselves.

We have armed police for when we need them. The last 4 police officers to have been shot dead in this country over the past 10 years were caught unawares. Being armed wouldn't have saved their lives.

http://en.wikipedia....ron_Beshenivsky

http://en.wikipedia....ki/David_Bieber

Probably the worst 'name drop' ever but I stayed in the hotel that Bieber was caught in.

Arming the police should be a 'triple-lock' referendum. It should be only introduced in the event of a majority in the following three polls:

* The officers who would be armed

* MPs, on a free vote

* The electorate, minus prisoners of course

Honestly, arming the police would be idiotic and ultimately lead only to more deaths and more victims, and also, once you've put them out there, it's nigh on impossible to reverse the decision.