Newcastle v Maritimo

Gene_Clark

I tell you how wank we were generally between 1988 and 1992, I honestly believed in my heart of hearts we weren't as big a club as Sheffield Wednesday, Man City, West Ham, Villa, Nottingham Forest and I certainly didn't think we were bigger than the mackems or Boro. Granted I didn't appreciate our history like I do today, but all I'd seen till that point was total shite, with the odd Gazza/Beardsley inspired mid table classic. People have can't truly and fully what Keegan did for NUFC without experiencing those years, which is why I consider people who choose to slate him over his last spell as scumbags.

Anyone slagging Keegan are worse than clueless and I'd question 'where they were when we were shit'.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Paul Moran miss at the leazes end, but are you sure it was against Wolves. He was so shit the game he played at home, he was hauled off at half time. I read something in later years that he'd been on the drink with Gazza the night before who was here cos he was injured, and had a terrible hangover. The 3-2 win was good, Oldham were the best side in the division that season, but the Sheffield Wednesday win was excellent, they'd just beaten Man Utd in the League Cup Final and we thought we'd get stuffed.

i'm sure it was Wolves; i'll check from Paul Joannou's book when I'm next up in the loft; remember a story about him & Gazza having 13 pints in Walkers on the Thursday before the game.

you know that Sheff Wed win was Pav's first clean sheet; also, and I've racked my brains on this, i believe it was the first & probably only time i ever saw Trevor Francis play. Brock cross in off post at Gallowgate.

I was at Vale Park (biggest pitch in the league at the time), when Quinny lobbed the keeper from outside the box for a 1-0 win and we started off ok that year but a loss v west ham at home followed by (I think) Millwall was the start of mediocrity with a capital M. Fucking Notts County came up and beat us 2-0 and tried to take the piss which was shameful and I was right next to the fuckers in the Leazes that day.

we drew 1-1 with West Ham on 22/9; Burridge made an arse of a clearance in front of Gallowgate corner.

the Millwall loss was 8/9.

Port Vale win was 1/9.

We won at blackburn on 15/9 with Liam O'Brien goal after 94 minutes.....

i'm sure it was Wolves; i'll check from Paul Joannou's book when I'm next up in the loft; remember a story about him & Gazza having 13 pints in Walkers on the Thursday before the game.

you know that Sheff Wed win was Pav's first clean sheet; also, and I've racked my brains on this, i believe it was the first & probably only time i ever saw Trevor Francis play. Brock cross in off post at Gallowgate.

I'm 100% certain Francis played for QPR against us in our relegation season. I remember he won a free kick, and Colin Clarke scored in off the post, he always used to score against us that cunt.

Notts County could've beaten us 10-0 that day, Tommy Johnson, Martin Kuhl, Craig Short, and that midfielder who went on to play for Villa were far, far better than us. Notts fucking County. Bristol Rovers gave us a home hiding as well, Gerry Francis as manager.

Notts Co was December 29th i think, sandwiched in between Swindon on Boxing Day (1-1) & oldham on NYD (1-1), courtesy of Stimson's insane OG - fucking terrible kick in teeth

Haha aye Pav had a tough start, he was shite with crosses. People nicknamed him dracula because he hated crosses.

I'm 100% certain Francis played for QPR against us in our relegation season. I remember he won a free kick, and Colin Clarke scored in off the post, he always used to score against us that cunt.

Right - that was 11th March 89; didn't do that game as mate got married & I was at the do at Lumley Castle when the scores came in

Haha aye Pav had a tough start, he was shite with crosses. People nicknamed him dracula because he hated crosses.

next clean sheet was 1-0 2nd leg win over Crewe & i shut up some whining cunt in Gallowgate wing paddock of Milburn who said it was only against a 4th division side Pav would keep a clean sheet

Another two games that stand out from that time for me personally were the cup v Bournemouth (first ever match live on Sky?) when we got beat on pens. Not only was it a right fucking sickener but that night was the coldest i can remember being. My feet were that numb I felt like I was going to fall over every step I took home.

And 3-4 against Charlton. 3-0 up first half, they got one back before HT and you could just smell it coming. Steve Watson did (what looked like from the corner) the greatest goal-line clearence in the history of the world, only for some other cunt to rattle in the rebound. Think Pardew scored for them anarl.

honestly - i'm remembering this season as clear as day here; tragic the club never released a video of it, especially as i missed Liam O'Brien's equaliser v West Brom as i was having a piss - also never saw it on Back Page next day

Another two games that stand out from that time for me personally were the cup v Bournemouth (first ever match live on Sky?) when we got beat on pens. Not only was it a right fucking sickener but that night was the coldest i can remember being. My feet were that numb I felt like I was going to fall over every step I took home.

And 3-4 against Charlton. 3-0 up first half, they got one back before HT and you could just smell it coming. Steve Watson did (what looked like from the corner) the greatest goal-line clearence in the history of the world, only for some other cunt to rattle in the rebound. Think Pardew scored for them anarl.

they were season after; in about 4 days of each other as well.....

Liam O'Brien OG & Robert Lee 2 for them i'm sure

next clean sheet was 1-0 2nd leg win over Crewe & i shut up some whining cunt in Gallowgate wing paddock of Milburn who said it was only against a 4th division side Pav would keep a clean sheet

Aye that was the next season. I used to play for the first eleven at school, and our manager got us two lots of bookings to be ballboys, half for Crewe, and half for Oxford (a 4-3 win) I chose Oxford, I think I made the right decision, apart from the North Eastern Co-Op ballboys tracksuit bottoms having a hole in the arse and the Gallowgate taking the piss as I walked past.

Aye, was fogged off the first game. Efan Ekoku ran us ragged the cunt, and they were in division 3. I still say O'Brien's pen was the most disgusting I've ever seen.

Aye that was the next season. I used to play for the first eleven at school, and our manager got us two lots of bookings to be ballboys, half for Crewe, and half for Oxford (a 4-3 win) I chose Oxford, I think I made the right decision, apart from the North Eastern Co-Op ballboys tracksuit bottoms having a hole in the arse and the Gallowgate taking the piss as I walked past.

Gavin Peacock's last minute winner that day was a really joyous moment; october 19th i think. possibly 26th

we drew 1-1 with West Ham on 22/9; Burridge made an arse of a clearance in front of Gallowgate corner.

the Millwall loss was 8/9.

Port Vale win was 1/9.

We won at blackburn on 15/9 with Liam O'Brien goal after 94 minutes.....

Thought the West Ham game ws a defeat but definitely remember Budgies little wander about which lead to their goal. Was at all of those games but the best of them was the shit game at Ewood Park where O'Brien scored that winner in injury time and 5,000 Mags started singing 'Toms Diner' by Suzanne Vega for ages even as we were leaving the ground. Never heard it sung before or after this game, an impromptu moment that the poor little dears at the maritimo match could never imagine. It seems a lifetime ago to be honest.

Edited by Howmanheyman

Thought the West Ham game ws a defeat but definitely remember Budgies little wander about which lead to their goal. Was at all of those games but the best of them was the shit game at Ewood Park where O'Brien scored that winner in injury time and 5,000 Mags started singing 'Toms Diner' by Suzanne Vega for ages even as we were leaving the ground. Never heard it sung before or after this game, an impromptu moment that the poor little dears at the maritimo match could never imagine. It seems a lifetime ago to be honest.

The year after the game your on about that end was dangerously full, loudest away end I've ever known though. 7,000 toon fans in full cry WE'VE ALL SHAGGED YA WIFE SPEEDIE, SPEEDIE. I've never seen a footballer as visibly riled by a crowd before or since that day. The cunt scored a hatrick as well.

I tell you how wank we were generally between 1988 and 1992, I honestly believed in my heart of hearts we weren't as big a club as Sheffield Wednesday, Man City, West Ham, Villa, Nottingham Forest and I certainly didn't think we were bigger than the mackems or Boro. Granted I didn't appreciate our history like I do today, but all I'd seen till that point was total shite, with the odd Gazza/Beardsley inspired mid table classic. People have can't truly and fully what Keegan did for NUFC without experiencing those years, which is why I consider people who choose to slate him over his last spell as scumbags.

Spot on aye.

The year after the game your on about that end was dangerously full, loudest away end I've ever known though. 7,000 toon fans in full cry WE'VE ALL SHAGGED YA WIFE SPEEDIE, SPEEDIE. I've never seen a footballer as visibly riled by a crowd before or since that day. The cunt scored a hatrick as well.

Was at that one too, Speedie was always disliked but it turned up a notch or two that day as he nearly took Tommy Wright's head off if memory isn't playing tricks. He did the same thing to our keeper at St. Andrews, Kevin Brock a year or so later. I don't think I've been to another ground as much as Ewood Park, there'd be 12,000 crowds for some of our games there and it'd be about 60/40 split between the support. We used to play 'spot the blackburn fan' before the game. Getting back to Speedie, he milked the third in front of our support as bottles, pies and coins got lobbed at him with grown men offering the little twat on climbing the fence. He was very rattled by the 'shagged your wife' chant so don't know if something was going on in the Speedie household?

And that day I was at Hartlepool 2 Preston 0, though I was at Port Vale a fortnight later for Steve Watson's winner

We've not been hammered by anyone this season despite not playing well throughout it.

Now why would SOUTHAMPTON be the ones to inflict a hammering?

Some people...

Sorry couldnt resist :P

2-0 but could easily have been 6 or 7. Pathetic pieces of shite.