Southampton Away

ToonArmy1993

Bollocks, some of the best fullbacks have hardly been particularly "pacey", certainly never as much a flyer as a winger otherwise they'd have all been wingers. It's all about the defensive unit working as a unit and scheme/positioning, and having a football brain that can work in the scheme. No professional footballer is particularly "slow" and really "electric" wingers are few and far between.

:lol::lol::lol:

Did you just wake up after 30 years of cryosleep?

Welcome to modern fotball. Pace is important.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair one!

Its hard to fit in sometimes, im glad i learned when i was younger. Guitars are daftly priced these days anyway, ive saved up for a couple of months with one in mind but cant bring myself to buy it when ive already got what i "need".

Aye may as well wait until prices improve - pound seems to be doing a bit better against the dollar, which should help. I wish I'd done a bit more learning when I was younger tbh. Could have done with the Internet being around 10 years sooner cos there's so much on there these days to learn from. Although saying that, sitting trying to work songs out is probably better than having some goon on YouTube just tell you.

You'll get better quicker doing it the hard way but there are some decent technique videos most people can learn from! I always used to learn stuff from magazines before discovering internet tabs, which were a god send!

:lol::lol::lol:

Did you just wake up after 30 years of cryosleep?

Welcome to modern fotball. Pace is important.

I know it's difficult for you, but don't be a wanker.

Pace is important - Yes it is, but its not the most important thing,see Obertan for reference. You get caught on the break if you over extend and get wrong footed, got fuck all to do with pace per se, it's that wrong footing that makes the breaking team appear "fast" when in reality there's not a huge difference (with a few exceptions) in the pace of the players breaking and being broken against. It's all relative to the reaction time and players positioning. Good defences don't get caught on the break.

There are a few exceptionally fast players and then there's fucking loads who are much of a muchness pace-wise.

Simple really.

I just think its an absurd thing to claim, that pace in todays fotball is overrated.

You cant use Obertan as an example of pace not being important- he doesnt use his, tbf he is a useless waste of oxygen.

Fullbacks these days are in fact effectively second wingers, overlapping and providing additional attacking threat. They defend that way, when you double up on the flanks you tie up the oppositions wingers a well.

Having loads of pace is really really important, as wingers storm up and down the flank throughout the game.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I just think its an absurd thing to claim, that pace in todays fotball is overrated.

You cant use Obertan as an example of pace not being important- he doesnt use his, tbf he is a useless waste of oxygen.

Fullbacks these days are in fact effectively second wingers, overlapping and providing additional attacking threat. They defend that way, when you double up on the flanks you tie up the oppositions wingers a well.

Having loads of pace is really really important, as wingers storm up and down the flank throughout the game.

Where did I do that?? Electric pace is just not a "must have" to be an effective fullback IMO, you can't be "slow" but then again few are.

If there were measurements available anywhere I reckon you'd find the average winger and fullback aren't far apart, there'd be the "exceptions" obviously but as a rule the whole footballing population at each level will be much of a muchness withmost at the Prem level being pretty quick.

Pace is not the be all and end all as you portray, if it was, the Obertan example is perfectly valid, maybe we should convert him to fullback.

Colo is great example of a not "electric" defender but he reads the game so well he gains yardage without having to run it, that's the key thing, having a football brain as a defensive unit and diagnosing/reacting to the game before it happens.

Wenger regularly times his players 100m times. That's how he knew when to sell Henry.

Aye, but pace was essential to his effectiveness in the PL. It doesn't therefore mean you have to be like shit off a stick to play at left-back, for example.

Where did I do that?? Electric pace is just not a "must have" to be an effective fullback IMO, you can't be "slow" but then again few are.

If there were measurements available anywhere I reckon you'd find the average winger and fullback aren't far apart, there'd be the "exceptions" obviously but as a rule the whole footballing population at each level will be much of a muchness withmost at the Prem level being pretty quick.

Pace is not the be all and end all as you portray, if it was, the Obertan example is perfectly valid, maybe we should convert him to fullback.

Colo is great example of a not "electric" defender but he reads the game so well he gains yardage without having to run it, that's the key thing, having a football brain as a defensive unit and diagnosing/reacting to the game before it happens.

I think in modern football though the role of full-backs has changed dramatically and most of the top teams all have full-backs that have pace who can get up and down the pitch and have just as much of an impact going forward or maybe even more so than they do defensively.

Aye, but pace was essential to his effectiveness in the PL. It doesn't therefore mean you have to be like shit off a stick to play at left-back, for example.

Aye but you could say that about any position. In modern football you won't see many Cafu's who end up at wheelchair pace. Pace is the second most important thing in the game. NUFC's best team since 1997 was SBR 2002-2004 team, it wasn't because they were the most talented (imo), it was because we had lightening quick pace, no club other than Arsenal had as many quick players like Bellamy, Dyer and Jenas.

I think in modern football though the role of full-backs has changed dramatically and most of the top teams all have full-backs that have pace who can get up and down the pitch and have just as much of an impact going forward or maybe even more so than they do defensively.

The reason I'd try and do better than Simpson isn't his much maligned defending which I think overall isn't that bad - its the fact that he can't play a final ball/cross to save his life and that's vital.

Santon needs to improve in this area as well but he's younger.

Aye but you could say that about any position. In modern football you won't see many Cafu's who end up at wheelchair pace. Pace is the second most important thing in the game. NUFC's best team since 1997 was SBR 2002-2004 team, it wasn't because they were the most talented (imo), it was because we had lightening quick pace, no club other than Arsenal had as many quick players like Bellamy, Dyer and Jenas.

Fair enough. You need pace but TP is right in that most of the PL players are much of a muchness, which is the point I was agreeing with. Tooj is also right about the best full-backs being pacey who can get up and down the pitch. Although that also applies to SImpson and he's fucking dogshit ;)

I wouldn't even entertain a reply to that old spastic mate. I've got more respect for a 15 year old delinquent who wipes snots on the windows of public transport than that Ashley sympathising old wanker.

Fair enough. You need pace but TP is right in that most of the PL players are much of a muchness, which is the point I was agreeing with. Tooj is also right about the best full-backs being pacey who can get up and down the pitch. Although that also applies to SImpson and he's fucking dogshit ;)

Yes but he's going to Roma in January :) [/itk]

Yes but he's going to Roma in January :) [/itk]

Fuck me gently if that happens. He'd be even worse in Italy with time on the ball. He could possibly get away with playing CB there like.

Again, Obertan doesnt use his pace at all ( save for a few squirts against european backyard teams) - so you cant use him as an example.

Colo is not electric, but he is reasonably fast ( and certainly fast enough for a centreback) and he is quite fast the first 10 yards as well as having excellent vision.

By contrast you have Williamson who does not have that vision and is far slower. If you dont think his lack of pace is a flaw then you are sorely mistaken imo.

Fuck me gently if that happens. He'd be even worse in Italy with time on the ball. He could possibly get away with playing CB there like.

Hahaha it's not really ITK, was in a number of English papers, and also mooted in Italy yesterday. He'd struggle in Serie A like, as you say you get more time on the ball so he'd have to rely more on technical ability rather than instinct when he's on the ball which would find him out. Apparently his destination is Roma, Palermo or Fiorentina according to the crack if there's any truth in it.

I wouldn't even entertain a reply to that old spastic mate. I've got more respect for a 15 year old delinquent who wipes snots on the windows of public transport than that Ashley sympathising old wanker.

Nice :rolleyes: