Pantomimes

catmag

We're going this afternoon to see Aladdin at the Theatre Royal and I think I'm the most excited. I've not been to a panto for years but have class memories of the ENTIRE family going every year. That's all my aunties, uncles and 14 cousins. One of my uncles always joined in a bit too enthusiastically and we were always thoroughly embarrassed - even as kids. My turn now :D

We had a game at Leicester in the late 90s on the Saturday between xmas and new year....we got back and the bus dropped us off at the Theatre Royal so we were straight into the Adlephi for the few....where we spent the rest of the evening on the piss with alll 7 dwarves, their understudies, the fellah who played Des in Corrie and his missus...do not undersstimate a dwarf's drinking ability is all I have to say about the evening :)

Steve Wraith was on 6music yesterday evening plugging his panto which is Robin Hood. He plays the Sheriff of Nottingham though apparently he's renamed his character 'Ashley Llambias'.

Geordie jokes for the Geordie people guaranteed.

I think I mentioned that about Steve Wraith after seeing a poster with him on it. It's a star-studded affair like as you can imagine.

And I remember as a bairn going with Walker's finest, i.e. the kids whose Dads were members of the Jubilee Club, to see a panto every year. Often at Sunderland Empire and usually well into January for some reason (probably because it was cheaper). We used to a free selection box as well. I dare anyone to beat that anecdote.

Surely he could have been a bit more subtle, used an anagram or something?

I've always gone to the Northern Stage (i.e. Playhouse) where they tend to have christmas themed plays which are kind of half panto. They've not been great recently if I'm honest but really enjoyed them as a kid. Wind in the willows and later the Snow Queen stick in my mnd.

I went to see one with Humpty Dumpty in at the Theatre Royal. We were so high up I could only see the bottom of Humpty's feet and legs for half the show. I was pleased when the fat twat eventually fell off the wall.

Saw a few Narnia productions there as a bairn that were canny good. I did love the books as well though. That's right CT, books.

Oh aye, the Narnia adaptions. Iirc Keneth Branagh was in one of them before he found Hollywood.

They spent millions doing out the Playhouse and converted into the Northern Stage and imo made it significanly worse in the process. The food there is tapas which is decent though, also very handy for a quiet pint pre or post match (nice beer). The guy who runs the restaurant - McKenna - is the absolute spit of Ashley as it happens.

I went to see one with Humpty Dumpty in at the Theatre Royal. We were so high up I could only see the bottom of Humpty's feet and legs for half the show. I was pleased when the fat twat eventually fell off the wall.

:lol: Is this a complete joke or did they really manage to string out a 5 line nursery ryhme into 1 1/2 hours?

:lol: Is this a complete joke or did they really manage to string out a 5 line nursery ryhme into 1 1/2 hours?

Nah seriously. I can't remember if the full thing was Humpty Dumpty or whether it just had random characters from kids' stories in it. I remember thinking "Who the fuck is that talking" for half the show though.

I was playing the Sherrif of Nottingham in the Royalty Theatre's production of babes in the wood. During the interval a young kid managed to wander into the green room and I bellowed "arrest that boy" he legged it and preceded to cry every time I came onstage. I gave him a free ticket for another performance and bought him a selection box afterwards.

I only went to a couple as a kid, wasn't keen on them though. I was never one for sitting still or getting particularly excited about people dressed up as things. Plus I was shy so I HATED it when they started on about people in the crowd or look for audience participation, always wanted to crawl under my seat and hide. :lol:

We used to go quite a lot, never really loved them but then it was always rubbish people like the Krankies. Then I went to one at the Tyne Theatre as an adult, with the whole family all grown up, and it was a lot of fun. Apparently wine is the way to approach these things.